Sponsored

Brand Manager says no white tops MY21 - what are planning to do if you had a color that was picked for a white top combo? Probably impacts AMB camp

For those getting AMB, and plan on getting a white painted hardtop, what will you do if it’s not ava

• Total voters
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My shop said vinyl wont hold up well. quote i got to paint was $800. bigger question - how often are you going to garage this, and how long are you going to own? I plan on owning for 10+ years, and dont have a garage. i have to put t-tops back on every day they are off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My dealer just confirmed they would be able to paint the top white, quickly upon delivery, as they do other DIOs. Didnt discuss pricing since it's too soon to exercise them to that extent. Cant imagine they would charge me under $1,000 to do it at the dealer. Maybe thats the cost for exclusivity...without added delays

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Make sure you get that marine grade vinyl seats and open your floor drains. :) My step-father says he used to wear a rain coat with hood when he drove his CJ2A with no top. Said it wasn't so bad until you stopped for a stop sign.
Your step dad is right. I've driven my YJ topless in some fairly heavy rains. As long as you keep her moving it's surprisingly bearable.

Worst part is that windshield wipers only work on the one side!

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Your step dad is right. I've driven my YJ topless in some fairly heavy rains. As long as you keep her moving it's surprisingly bearable.

Worst part is that windshield wipers only work on the one side!
Being a CJ2A he only had a wiper on the driver's side and it was vacuum operated so you were fine as long as you didn't go up a hill. The wiper would just stop, then start again once you got off the incline.

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford Bronco Brand Manager says no white tops MY21 - what are planning to do if you had a color that was picked for a white top combo? Probably impacts AMB camp giphy-6

White tops suck.

Sponsored

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'd like to know what "white top not available for 2021 model year" actually means to a current reservation holder/order placer. We know deliveries will stretch into 2022. Does it mean that we will be able to order a 2022 MY vehicle? And will 2022 have options not available for 2021? Crossing fingers Build & Price answers this question.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Being a CJ2A he only had a wiper on the driver's side and it was vacuum operated so you were fine as long as you didn't go up a hill. The wiper would just stop, then start again once you got off the incline.
Ouch!

Good excuse to build speed on the downhills.

To be clear I meant rain buildup on the inside of the windshield can hinder visibility. RainX helped.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

White tops may be popular on this forum but will they be as popular with everyone else? Not everyone is in on the "nostalgia" of the Bronco or feels a "real" Bronco needs a white roof.
I don't understand the white top thing myself. Prior to really the late 80's or so trucks were largely just viewed as utilitarian. If a trim piece or component like a grill, bumper or in our case bed cap wasn't one of the fancier trims where they'd chrome it they'd just paint it with what they had. Usually white or black because those are generally the least expensive, most accessible paints and colorants. The tops weren't white because it was what looked best. They were white because that was the most cost efficient way to protect them from corrosion. We're literally waxing nostalgic for the cheapest way they found to get a job done.

Last edited:
Reactions: RG7
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In my mid 30s, and id love to get Area 51 or Rapid Red w a black top. But want to keep this car until im 50. over the course of those years, i think i'd be happier to look back knowing I have the 1st yr remake with AMB/white top. Or something a safer, Carb Gray and Black top.

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I see this going 5 ways for me and I'm not even a AMB person but a Cactus Gray:
1. Order a body colored (Cactus Gray) hard top and paint it white.
2. Find someone ordering a white 4dr bronco and see if I can arrange for them to order a white body colored hard top and I'll swap them for their white top and I'll order either the gray MIC or black painted hardtop of their choosing.
3. My wife says f*** it and just orders a white badlands w/ body colored white hardtop (which I'm not for).
4. My wife says f*** it and just waits it out for the new 4runner to come out.
5. My wife says f*** it and trades in her '18 GC for a newer one.

I refuse to have that gray MIC top on the bronco that doesn't match anything on the bronco. Painting or line-x the MIC top white is out of the question.

I think it's complete BS, they're already painting hard tops for white broncos. Ford shouldn't have been parading that one around like they have been after the reveal. Ford will either have people say screw it and just pay for the MIC top (which will mean Ford gets $1k+ less from customers who would have ordered the white dual top option) or people will pay for the black dual top option and like me, go get it painted leaving a bitter taste in their mouth).

I'm also on hold placing an order for a '21 F350 tremor until I see the Bronco B&P, because her decision on whether to continue with a Bronco will determine my need for a F350. So Ford essentially has $145k on the line from my wife & I lol.
And the thing to remember if you order the body color top just to have it re-painted is, what is ford going to charge for the body color top (which in most if not all cases comes with a soft top)? Something tells me it will be much more than the speculated price of the black mod painted top alone at 1900.00 And can someone tell me, is it normal to highlight incoming new models with colors, options and accessories that will never see the showroom? What is ford doing (other than pissing people off)?

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting. Ford rep at Super Cel East told me that people could get a white roof with a white Bronco.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well heck, I'm still holding out hope at least until B&P proves me wrong. Not sure what to do but maybe if B&P is actually out in October it'll give me chance to possibly switch with Granger to an October deal and put me at MY22 but really didn't want to wait or have to wrap or paint a mod top when I'll already be spending $1900 on it!

So, WTF Ford? Bronco's have white tops.
What is the going rate to get a painted mod top re-painted white?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

We're literally waxing nostalgic for the cheapest way to get a job done.
Pretty sure the grey MIC top is the modern interpretation of this as well.

I get that some don't get it which fine, I'll support your green paint, cooled seats, manual with V6, SFA, V8 Godzilla motor, and 37's with steelies but that doesn't mean I necessarily want it but the more choices for all the better right? If it just means that Ford uses a cheap white paint vice a cheap black paint to make some of us happy and to pad their own bottom line for that option then we all win.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sure the grey MIC top is the modern interpretation of this as well.

I get that some don't get it which fine, I'll support your green paint, cooled seats, manual with V6, SFA, V8 Godzilla motor, and 37's with steelies but that doesn't mean I necessarily want it but the more choices for all the better right? If it just means that Ford uses a cheap white paint vice a cheap black paint to make some of us happy and to pad their own bottom line for that option then we all win.
Yep, gray and black plastics are more common because it allows for the use of regrind reducing scrap. White tinted plastics have to be almost purely virgin because you'd see tinting or specks if you tried to reuse scrap plastic.
Sponsored