Sponsored

Brand Manager says no white tops MY21 - what are planning to do if you had a color that was picked for a white top combo? Probably impacts AMB camp

For those getting AMB, and plan on getting a white painted hardtop, what will you do if it’s not ava

• Total voters

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm not sure what age has to do with it but have you entertained the idea that he may be right?

White tops may be popular on this forum but will they be as popular with everyone else? Not everyone is in on the "nostalgia" of the Bronco or feels a "real" Bronco needs a white roof.

Also...there could be a number of other reasons why it's not offered. Supply changes and delivery schedules are some of them. I doubt Ford just forgot about white tops until someone here mentioned it.
There is a high probability that those excited about Broncos will possibly buy a Bronco. Ford should take that anyday over people who might wander into a Ford dealership and buy a bronco.
If I was Ford- I would make the white top happen- or maybe they just are not the greatest car company in the world - anymore.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What is the going rate to get a painted mod top re-painted white?
A few on here have said around $750-1000 to paint, $400-$500 for a liner paint. All depends on what your locality is I would think too and whatever prep is needed i.e. MIC would take more prep, mod is already smooth but still have to prep. You could call around and see what they'd charge for a Jeep top but then add that to the est. $1900 and see if it's something you want to do.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/which-white-paint-for-top.6698/#post-242735

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a high probability that those excited about Broncos will possibly buy a Bronco. Ford should take that anyday over people who might wander into a Ford dealership and buy a bronco.
If I was Ford- I would make the white top happen- or maybe they just are not the greatest car company in the world - anymore.
They likely will.... But it may be part of their model year 2 plan. Maybe that's the way they make the most money on it. Let's not forget that Ford's prerogative is not offering a million options... Its, ultimately, making money. Somewhere down the line most of the optioms they are or aren't offering is a financial decision.

I don't have the answers.... Just offering different perspectives.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand the white top thing myself. Prior to really the late 80's or so trucks were largely just viewed as utilitarian. If a trim piece or component like a grill, bumper or in our case bed cap wasn't one of the fancier trims where they'd chrome it they'd just paint it with what they had. Usually white or black because those are generally the least expensive, most accessible paints and colorants. The tops weren't white because it was what looked best. They were white because that was the most cost efficient way to protect them from corrosion. We're literally waxing nostalgic for the cheapest way they found to get a job done.
People want a white top because they were standard on Broncos for its entire run, from 1966 to 1996. It has nothing to do with people painting their truck toppers.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People want a white top because they were standard on Broncos for its entire run, from 1966 to 1996. It has nothing to do with people painting their truck toppers.
I get the nostalgia aspect. I just find the underlying reasons as to why the Bronco tops were white for all those years and people's attachment to the result of that business decision curious. White has been employed in the automotive and industrial world for a very long time where cheap is the priority.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And the thing to remember if you order the body color top just to have it re-painted is, what is ford going to charge for the body color top (which in most if not all cases comes with a soft top)? Something tells me it will be much more than the speculated price of the black mod painted top alone at 1900.00 And can someone tell me, is it normal to highlight incoming new models with colors, options and accessories that will never see the showroom? What is ford doing (other than pissing people off)?
Jeep offers their body colored 4dr hardtop for $2,395 at time of order.

If one ordered the dual top group at time of order (soft top & black mic hardtop) that too is $2,395.

If one were to pick up a hardtop after the fact from Jeep, Mopar sells their hard top for their 4door wrangler (not body colored, comes in primer) for $2,400+.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now that i am taking a closer look, the body match hardtop is only a dual offering with a soft top on Fords website (assuming the trim level allows it). Which means they will probably ship with a soft top, and have the body match hard top shipped to the dealer through a supplier. Its basically a DIO. That wont slow down production at the factory, and allows the factory to only house soft tops, MICs, and pre-painted black hardtop. Which goes back to my point as to why the white top isnt being offered from the factory either - its one more variable. If anything maybe the white top is offered for 2021, but only as a dual top DIO (which was my theory before), which personally, is meaningless for me. Id still order a black top and custom paint for slightly lesser dollars. So this may not really be a loss in the end.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Jeep offers their body colored 4dr hardtop for $2,395 at time of order.

If one ordered the dual top group at time of order (soft top & black mic hardtop) that too is $2,395.

If one were to pick up a hardtop after the fact from Jeep, Mopar sells their hard top for their 4door wrangler (not body colored, comes in primer) for $2,400+.
So about 3400.00 for a white top if the prices are similar and assuming 900 to a 1000 for the re-paint. ouch

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now that i am taking a closer look, the body match hardtop is only a dual offering with a soft top on Fords website (assuming the trim level allows it). Which means they will probably ship with a soft top, and have the body match hard top shipped to the dealer through a supplier. Its basically a DIO. That wont slow down production at the factory, and allows the factory to only house soft tops, MICs, and pre-painted black hardtop. Which goes back to my point as to why the white top isnt being offered from the factory either - its one more variable. If anything maybe the white top is offered for 2021, but only as a dual top DIO (which was my theory before). That would be the best case scenario at this point. And even then, its meaningless for me. Id still order a black top and custom paint in Wimbledon for slightly lesser dollars. So this may not really be that big of a loss in the end if the white top was always planned to be a dual top option.

As for the extra $900...I dont really care that much. The survey prices undercut my total estimate by a good 3k. Plus you get the added exclusivity to custom paint it. Even if the white top is offered in 2022 as a dual top only option, the take rate will be super low, and you'll still have a certain level of exclusivity in the forward looking years.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now that i am taking a closer look, the body match hardtop is only a dual offering with a soft top on Fords website (assuming the trim level allows it). Which means they will probably ship with a soft top, and have the body match hard top shipped to the dealer through a supplier. Its basically a DIO. That wont slow down production at the factory, and allows the factory to only house soft tops, MICs, and pre-painted black hardtop. Which goes back to my point as to why the white top isnt being offered from the factory either - its one more variable. If anything maybe the white top is offered for 2021, but only as a dual top DIO (which was my theory before). That would be the best case scenario at this point. And even then, its meaningless for me. Id still order a black top and custom paint in Wimbledon for slightly lesser dollars. So this may not really be that big of a loss in the end if the white top was always planned to be a dual top option.

As for the extra $900...I dont really care that much. The survey prices undercut my total estimate by a good 3k. Plus you get the added exclusivity to custom paint it. Even if the white top is offered in 2022 as a dual top only option, the take rate will be super low, and you'll still have a certain level of exclusivity in the forward looking years.
This was my thinking the whole time too. Was that I'd be forced into purchasing the dual top option to obtain the body colored hard top (although I'd want white and not cactus gray) and I have no problem if that's the case. I'll turn around and sell the soft top as I'll have zero use for it. No need to have a discussion w/ the wife yet as Im not sure if she'd want the Wimbledon white or Oxford white top. At this point, I'll already be in close to $65k for a 4dr Badlands, so I'm not too worried about the extra $900-$1k to paint. Ford will sell a lot more white tops (or potentially dual top options) year 1 than waiting to roll out year 2.

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford really dropped the ball on these white tops

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figured they would do it like Jeep does: hard top installed; soft top in a box in the back

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you think a MIC top is? Molded in Color, ie Unpainted. Pop down to your local body shop and ask them how much to spray a removeable hardtop white.
Currently stationed in Japan, or I would. Here they would just wrap it.

I would paint the MIC but don’t think The paint would stick well to it, that’s why Ford produces the heavier fiberglass painted top version