Sponsored

Bricked Again! - Second Time. Anyone Else?

M7 23

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Disconnect battery, then reconnect a few minutes later. Sometimes will reset and clear the issue. Worked for me on an Aviator recently.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrecker service came by to remove the paperweight. He tested both the battery and key fobs. Both were fine, but the Bronco was a total brick.
Cannot put the truck in neutral w/o power to the system. Has to flatbed transported when this type of failure happens.

2023-07-20 11.26.35.jpg

Sucks, but I hope it's just me. Hate to know that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, going to turn off ALL automatic OTA updates. The update was the only change that happened to the vehicle; therefore, I have no assurance that it was or was not the cause of this catastrophic failure. Wrecker man said he's not recommending the Bronco to coworkers (who are shopping now) after seeing this failure. I did tell him that this is the best driving vehicle I've owned and still love it. I hope it something simple...
Under the shifter boot is how one moves the vehicle gear from park to neutral. You pry up the boot and then insert a screwdriver to manipulate the lever that allows the gear to be change when the vehicle has no power or wont start. I realize it is a new vehicle but the majority of towers will know how to do this. The step by step instructions are in the owners manual.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not necessary at all. But sometimes the updates will contain fixes or new features. Most of the time we as drivers won't notice the difference, but occasionally you'll get updates to the Sync 4 system or for CarPlay / Android Auto that is actually useful.

Alternative option is to just to take your vehicle to the dealership and have them manually update with FDRS.
What actually triggers the update? I got this rev back in April. Never hooked to WIFI ever. Just trying to understand why it's taken an additional 3 months for others to get it. Ford spreading the load as to not overwhelm the system with download requests?

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do this for a living. My 21 has every update, including the one you just did. I have had zero issues. These updates are mostly for Sync, but some do have start-up procedures in them. The only thing I would think that causes your issue is that the update started and was somehow interrupted without completing it. If it was writing to the ECU, and it failed, then that could be the issue. Nearly the same as doing a tune.

Beyond that *shrug
The dealer should be able to figure it out, but I will say that sucks.

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do this for a living. My 21 has every update, including the one you just did. I have had zero issues. These updates are mostly for Sync, but some do have start-up procedures in them. The only thing I would think that causes your issue is that the update started and was somehow interrupted without completing it. If it was writing to the ECU, and it failed, then that could be the issue. Nearly the same as doing a tune.

Beyond that *shrug
The dealer should be able to figure it out, but I will say that sucks.
I figured this would be the most likely if it were related to the update. No clue now. It'll be days before the dealer can even scan the ECM/ECU to troubleshoot.

The software OTA peeps confirmed that it was a successful update to my Bronco specifically. Not sure what that means exactly other than "not our fault."

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I remember (and my memory may be incorrect) that you need to hook up a battery charger differently on the Bronco. You should not just hook directly to the battery terminals, the ECU will not know the battery has been charged. You have to connect the positive upstream of the battery terminal. Check the manual for the exact procedure.
For trickle charging I have not seen anything on this nor found any information on the Ford battery maintenance hardware/software requiring different charging procedures.

Update: Not even a boost charger is helping.

Yes, and you are correct. Followed the procedure, still holding 13.5V.
Brick.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web
That's for jumping a dead battery. It's been standard to chassis-ground the neg of the dead vehicle since the automotive industry switched to negative ground systems.

FWIW: you can still jump a dead 6-volt positive-ground vehicle with a modern 12v negative ground vehicle, you just need somebody to be Johnny-on-the-spot to disconnect the leads as there will be a sparking and a hopping of the angry pixies.

Might suck, but that's a killer lift!

stev3french

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are OTA not just for sync are do they also update the drive controls and all that? I can’t believe the sync system is tied to ignition systems etc

ALCO44

Raptor
First Name
ALLEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ran prefect until this morning. Dead as a doornail. No response from anything except the alarm system.
Technician said it might be the battery. 13V to crank and 3V for the alarm. Sure enough 12.5V on the battery (measured correctly this time).

The truck is less than 1 year old, and had zero indications of low voltage.
There was a recent software update this week, so I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing voltage issues this week.

or... Is it just me?

Update:
I remeasured the voltage after connecting a charger to the battery for 30min. The battery holds 13.5V without issue. Zero life in the Bronco. Brick....

Software was updated last night...
2023-07-20 09.17.31.png

2023-07-20 09.16.19.png

2023-07-20 09.16.58.png
If you open up your center console and remove every thing, there is a spot to place your remote in the bottom, set it there and push your start button on the dash and it will usually start right up.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have not connected my Bronco to any internet, and so have gotten no updates. Is there really a need to get updates? Wasn't planning on ever connecting it.
I disabled mine months ago. System is janky enough as it is. Don't need Ford updating it to make it worse.

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do all models get the same updates?
I’m pretty sure I set my Black Diamond up for auto updates but there have been no updates since October 22 and it’s on 3.5.2
I went well over a year with no updates. A month or so ago they started rolling in. Just got 3.5.4 yesterday.

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got the same update message today and no issues so far

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you open up your center console and remove every thing, there is a spot to place your remote in the bottom, set it there and push your start button on the dash and it will usually start right up.
Tried that. No joy.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ran prefect until this morning. Dead as a doornail. No response from anything except the alarm system.
Technician said it might be the battery. 13V to crank and 3V for the alarm. Sure enough 12.5V on the battery (measured correctly this time).

The truck is less than 1 year old, and had zero indications of low voltage.
There was a recent software update this week, so I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing voltage issues this week.

or... Is it just me?

Update:
I remeasured the voltage after connecting a charger to the battery for 30min. The battery holds 13.5V without issue. Zero life in the Bronco. Brick....

Software was updated last night...
Hello. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Bronco's loss of power issues.
Sponsored