Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if they could ever offset the emissions it took to make this?

These are all stunts until battery tech improves by orders of magnitude.

EVs are the new Haliburton-esque war mongering and profiteering. They set an idyllic goal no reasonable person could argue without being villainized with a promise to achieve it... if only they keep getting more money and support. The catch, of the goal, is similar to achieving world peace... the money dries up as soon as you achieve it.

Can't wait to see it out on the Rubicon!

Ozbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4 door, 2.7 litre, cactus grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No thanks. It has "regenerative breaking". 😦

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EVs are the new Haliburton-esque war mongering and profiteering. They set an idyllic goal no reasonable person could argue without being villainized with a promise to achieve it... if only they keep getting more money and support. The catch, of the goal, is similar to achieving world peace... the money dries up as soon as you achieve it.

Ford Bronco Bronco EV Conversion tin-foil-hat-simpsons

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Squatch!!!! get out of your echo chamber and educate yourself about the advantages of an electric motor vs an ice motor......

I am not talking about emissions or saving the planet or any of that which is an obvious hot button issue with you.....

I am talking about torque... instant torque! I am talking about opportunities to completely eliminate CVs and other weak points in a current 4x4.

I would not buy one right now. They are way too early in their product life cycle. Way too early in development. Batteries weigh way too much for off roading. BUT.... try a hydrogen fuel cell driving some capacitors with a small bank of batteries you should be able to get the weight down below current ice! Place the motors in the wheels like Rivian is doing, now you have no drive line issues to deal with.

I used to do complete frame off rebuilds on the original hybrids from the 40s and 50s; locomotives. Far Far superior to an Ice motor. It will take 20 years probably.... But it is coming. These electrics will blow the doors off what we have now. Lot of things need to happen, but they will.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

No thanks. It has "regenerative breaking". 😦
Can not figure out why they are not using capacitors.... Batteries can only recapture 7 or 8 percent of regenerative braking.... With capacitors you could recapture 96 to 98 percent...... Yes capacitors are not as energy dense but they can charge and discharge almost instantly unlike a battery.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Squatch!!!! get out of your echo chamber and educate yourself about the advantages of an electric motor vs an ice motor......

I am not talking about emissions or saving the planet or any of that which is an obvious hot button issue with you.....

I am talking about torque... instant torque! I am talking about opportunities to completely eliminate CVs and other weak points in a current 4x4.

I would not buy one right now. They are way too early in their product life cycle. Way too early in development. Batteries weigh way too much for off roading. BUT.... try a hydrogen fuel cell driving some capacitors with a small bank of batteries you should be able to get the weight down below current ice! Place the motors in the wheels like Rivian is doing, now you have no drive line issues to deal with.

I used to do complete frame off rebuilds on the original hybrids from the 40s and 50s; locomotives. Far Far superior to an Ice motor. It will take 20 years probably.... But it is coming. These electrics will blow the doors off what we have now. Lot of things need to happen, but they will.
You made his point…
Technologists always tell us how wonderful and better off we’ll be someday in the future, as long as they get the money today.

Electric cars; 136 years in the making and most owners have an ICE car as backup.

I’d say the best part of electric cars is lower complexity and maintenance.
Currently they can’t surpass off road performance of solid axles and mechanical lockers.

Sponsored

Ozbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4 door, 2.7 litre, cactus grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can not figure out why they are not using capacitors.... Batteries can only recapture 7 or 8 percent of regenerative braking.... With capacitors you could recapture 96 to 98 percent...... Yes capacitors are not as energy dense but they can charge and discharge almost instantly unlike a battery.
Good idea. But I think you missed my joke when I quoted the article. ;) I think regenerative braking is somewhat useful.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Good idea. But I think you missed my joke when I quoted the article. ;) I think regenerative braking is somewhat useful.
Right now though I do not think they are making use of it..... Without capacitors they can not capture much, only a small percentage. The approach they are using in formula 1 actually works. why not in everyday cars? It really does not cost that much more... in fact I think it probably would cost less because you would replace some of the batteries.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You made his point…
Technologists always tell us how wonderful and better off we’ll be someday in the future, as long as they get the money today.

Electric cars; 136 years in the making and most owners have an ICE car as backup.

I’d say the best part of electric cars is lower complexity and maintenance.
Currently they can’t surpass off road performance of solid axles and mechanical lockers.
You are right. I repeated myself when I heard the same argument.....

I also state that I would not buy one yet because I do not think they are ready for prime time. I will let the people that have to be the first early adopters pay the tax on that. I just bought a Bronco and I will probably keep it until the wheels fall off. I tend to buy something and keep it for decades. I still own and drive my 2009 truck and I think I can get another 10 to 15 years out of it. It is my daily. That means my Bronco will last even longer.

I am not one of the "technologists" as I understand the term. I do not need or even desire the latest greatest. I am more of the conservative engineer that if I were to design the ultimate vehicle for my varied uses this is how I would design it.

RedShiftWT81650

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Progress isn’t linear. I hope these types of projects continue to be more common.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can appreciate EVs for their purpose. I don't like classics being modernized in such a fashion. There's plenty of other vehicles out there that are better hosts that don't carry a history or tradition with it.

For the same reason, I don't like seeing a numbers-matching '69 Camaro Z28 being torn down and turned into a purpose-built drag car with a big block, roll cage, sectioned rear end and massive slicks.
Sponsored