Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Hydrogen fuel cell requires MASSIVE amounts of energy to condense the hydrogen and fuel those cells. The only way hydrogen fuel cell becomes practical is AFTER widespread nuclear energy adoption. Hydrogen vehicles are a pipe dream until that nuclear infrastructure is in place.
I guess we will have to disagree.... Already huge green hydrogen plants going in in europe powered by excess solar and especially wind... That at times produces more than they can put on the grid.... so they are going to use the excess to produce hydrogen.... It is the perfect long term battery. Conversion rate is not as good as a battery currently but. I am not alone in these thoughts. a lot of very smart people are betting their own money that this will happen. I may be wrong, they may be wrong, but then, you may be wrong. I guess we will see.
Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess we will have to disagree.... Already huge green hydrogen plants going in in europe powered by excess solar and especially wind... That at times produces more than they can put on the grid.... so they are going to use the excess to produce hydrogen.... It is the perfect long term battery. Conversion rate is not as good as a battery currently but. I am not alone in these thoughts. a lot of very smart people are betting their own money that this will happen. I may be wrong, they may be wrong, but then, you may be wrong. I guess we will see.
Again, those European endeavors for HFC are entirely subsidized with public monies and are not viable in the open market. Additionally, the "excess" energy from wind/solar (usually coal, IRL) is a pittance compared to what would be needed to process hydrogen and fuel the cells for vehicles in mass. One would need to nearly blanket Europe in wind and solar farms to even come close to the energy supply necessary for Hydrogen to be widely practical in the region. Use and adoption require the tech to be commercially viable regardless of the rainbows and unicorn talk from the marketing departments of the invested special interests groups. Hydrogen processing at scale requires mass adoption of nuclear energy due to the HUGE energy required. That's the blunt reality.

Also, if I was a whale investor with no morals I would be jumping abord the free government money train as well. "Green energy" is just a money grab. Just because fatcats with name recognition have signed on as advertisers with their token investments does not automatically mean it's a good idea. The science for a supply chain and maths for the economies of the issue has got to work as well.

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Listening to a podcast concerning Scout Motors they feel the infrastructure will be there in 5 years. It's a gamble for sure but it certainly feels that government is pushing towards this direction with funding and rebates at the retail level.
Infrastructure for off roaders? You think a charging station will be added on the Rubicon trail? :unsure:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Again, those European endeavors for HFC are entirely subsidized with public monies and are not viable in the open market. Additionally, the "excess" energy from wind/solar (usually coal, IRL) is a pittance compared to what would be needed to process hydrogen and fuel the cells for vehicles in mass. One would need to nearly blanket Europe in wind and solar farms to even come close to the energy supply necessary for Hydrogen to be widely practical in the region. Use and adoption require the tech to be commercially viable regardless of the rainbows and unicorn talk from the marketing departments of the invested special interests groups. Hydrogen processing at scale requires mass adoption of nuclear energy due to the HUGE energy required. That's the blunt reality.
You have all the talking points down....

I have been studying this for years. My Father was CEO of a major electric power utility company back in the 90's (by the way the first electrical engineer, they usually came from sales or finance)... At the time he had them as the number one solar company in the world. The next
CEO got them out of the business because even though that small area was paying for itself it was not producing money they way he thought it should. My opinion is that is short term thinking vs long term thinking. We spent many long hours discussing the pros and cons of every type of electrical generation, distribution and transmission. I understand the push for Nuclear. I have my reasons for not liking it. The biggest being vulnerability (ie. Ukraine/Russia), the second being more political issues having nothing to do with science.

The cost curve is dropping precipitously. It will cost less than fossil fuels. The government subsidies are just accelerating that curve. You can agree or disagree with spending our public monies in that fashion. Does not matter.

I have been looking at getting off grid for some time now. Mostly because deregulation has screwed our grid. I am getting to the point I do not trust it. I have been running cost/benefit analysis over and over. I will be going solar with a small amount of wind. I will start with redox flow batteries and then add in the hydrogen production and storage. NOT because I am green and trying to save the world, but because if I were to build my own small electric grid (which I will be doing) this is my best most cost effective long term solution factoring in maintenance and other long term reoccurring costs.

As far as vehicles go.... Electric is way better than ICE simply because of a cost-benefit analysis. I do not like current electric cars... They are trying too hard to create an Ipad on wheels. I would rather make my own. I do not think any of them are there yet for long haul trips or for off roading, but it is going that way. Batteries are too heavy for off road. Hydrogen fuel cells are not that heavy. The motors are heavy but they do not have to be big. There are also some big jumps in motor tech that is making them more powerful in a smaller size. It is coming.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I guess that is where we disagree.... Those dense urban areas it is easy to recharge. It is the long haul stuff that will drive Hydrogen. Would not be a big stretch to put in one or two hydrogen pumps at these truck stops with 20 to 30 gas pumps.... As demand increases, they implement more. It will be driven by the big corporates... Wally world, Amazon, those players.... Infrastructure will slowly build.
That is not the current focus which is energy grid, new nuclear non light water reactors, and solid state batteries. Hydrogen is here, but like I said its not consumer driven even if Toyota thinks they can push it.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That is not the current focus which is energy grid, new nuclear non light water reactors, and solid state batteries. Hydrogen is here, but like I said its not consumer driven even if Toyota thinks they can push it.
I have familiarized myself with the new nuclear options.... I just happen to be safety oriented.... I am not worried about the new technology. In a perfect world it is awesome.... I am worried in a more political world it can be held hostage. My concern has nothing to do with the technology. If we could get past NIMBY ism and BANNA ism and politics I am not worried about the disposal of waste.... Just so happens my little brother (environmental engineer) was (up until this month) a senior vice president of a toxic waste disposal company specializing in chemical and radioactive waste disposal. Disposal of waste is not a scientific problem it is a political problem.

Nuclear problems are not scientific they are political. That includes warfare and terrorism.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Infrastructure for off roaders? You think a charging station will be added on the Rubicon trail? :unsure:
while I believe this was tongue in cheek humor, the Hot Springs Offroad Park in Arkansas has the Jeep charging station. So you can camp/wheel your Jeep 4xE and charge it before you head home.

That said, there was a forum sponsor here that has a F150 lightning, they took it on a road trip from NJ (I believe) all the way down to Florida. He said he'd never do it again after having to stop every couple of hours for hours to recharge.

They're not worth it.

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
  • Quiet Ride
  • Insanely fast acceleration
  • Charge at home while you sleep
  • Hardly if ever change your brakes
  • Modern collision avoidance is amazing, it reacts faster than a human ever could
  • Automatic mode in traffic is absolutely stellar, though this this point and the one before isn't exclusive to EVs
To me its just another fuel choice, and less a religious debate. I don't think we'll see an EV that will recharge as fast as refilling a gas tank anytime soon, so for that application ICE still reigns king. I do think folks rush over the long-term cost/recycling/infrastructure needs to power these things.
Don’t forget they burn through tires at a much faster rate. So my 30-40k tire now is going to be like 20k?

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The roof rack isn't optional because you need it for all the batteries.

I've been playing around with the AI stuff recently and just thought I'd share a few AI renders I came up with for an EV Bronco.

_3eb465b8-cacd-4a47-bec7-8c7ba1ad5411.jpg

Sponsored

hfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes we know the up side to an all electric car, but those in no way make for the biggest negative of an electric car. Their range. An electric car is great for a short commuter car. Anything more than that is an exercise in futility and waste. So yes electric cars have a place, but it is not as a replacement for gas/diesel, hybrid, CNG or eventually fuel cell cars.
What are the upsides to an EV?

OP
OP
Lewisj41

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

We 'll need Jerry Cans with electrical power to recharge.
The roof rack isn't optional because you need it for all the batteries.
Roof rack isn't available of the sasquatch package with B&P goes live for this EV edition.

OP
OP
Lewisj41

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

With Marty McFly anything is possible.

Screenshot_20231017_200427_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Lewisj41

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Elon Musk has me testing this converted Bronco Raptor to EV.....or.....

Ford Bronco AI generated Bronco EV Screenshot_20231017_200427_Gallery

maybe this was just a fun picture I took to watch some reactions of Tesla owners when I pulled over to plug in...😂
Ok, now you got me going another level here!

_64a72db4-12af-4782-9d49-2d2b75c58294.jpg
Sponsored