First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Again, yes the base model is discontinued however I’d be surprised if a steering wheel cannot be purchased from ford part’s department, and in either case I’d definitely pay the dealer to do the install. Too much to go wrong with a vital component.
Sponsored

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder how hard it is to replace the steering wheel and shifter? I'd consider trading my late 22 Base wheel + shifter for your leather stuff.

(I don't care why -- I just care how?)

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
That includes leather seats if you got them!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how hard it is to replace the steering wheel and shifter? I'd consider trading my late 22 Base wheel + shifter for your leather stuff.

(I don't care why -- I just care how?)
The shifter probably involves disassembling the console. Not difficult, but probably want it done right.

The steering wheel I'm starting to wonder, you would need to find a dealer whose service department was willing to do a swap and probably go there at same time.

However, there's a lot of liability tied up in the air bag, so it's possible they make each of you buy another air bag (not cheap!) or the OP would need to get a Base steering wheel from Ford parts (I'm sure not cheap too) and have service install. The main thing is having a dealer whose service department is willing, I know some dealers won't replace seatbelts for the same reason of liability.

Also, you would probably still own the parts they took out in this scenario, unless you had them destroy them. Maybe they'd buy them back? 🤷‍♂️

I don't guess Ford has a sophisticated enough ops to have a specific part delete like steering wheel/knob from assembly, or to install something very custom. You might look for aftermarket companies that work with Ford (maybe Roush or Hennessey?) and see what they say about something like that.

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some people are vegan, some people may be allergic. What's the point of asking "Why?"

Hi! Welcome.
I am assuming you're vegan?
I did a quick google search and it seems that Ford does use real leather for their materials (when they say it's leather).
You asked for confirmation in your reply, and then you criticize another for asking why in their reply.

No issues with people asking why. Sometimes people are genuinely curious.

One could inquire why you assumed the OP was a vegan. Why assume? Why ask?

More to the point - who cares?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Meow808

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Super helpful answer @userdude, you nailed it, I could buy the BASE parts tomorrow (actually not expensive) but then I have failed my premise of getting a Bronco without leather.

For the spare parts I would not even need Ford to buy them from me, they can have them for free, I just want Ford to use them in a future build so the parts don't go to waste, reason why I'm trying for everything to be "dealer official process" as I know that if I show up with a steering wheel in a box one day they would def not relocate the wheel

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Super helpful answer @userdude, you nailed it, I could buy the BASE parts tomorrow (actually not expensive) but then I have failed my premise of getting a Bronco without leather.

For the spare parts I would not even need Ford to buy them from me, they can have them for free, I just want Ford to use them in a future build so the parts don't go to waste, reason why I'm trying for everything to be "dealer official process" as I know that if I show up with a steering wheel in a box one day they would def not relocate the wheel
Ok, one more option...! Go to a collision/body shop that fixes wrecked Broncos. Get them to switch it and have them bring in one of the air bag installers they use for insurance. However, ask them to use your steering wheel and knob on a wracked one in the future that needs a new steering wheel.

Might work! 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Meow808

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@userdude that's a very creative solution, genius! Probably Ford has some preferred collision centers I can research and contact

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the shift knob you can get a non-leather aftermarket replacement in many differnt shapes, colors and sizes fairly cheap. Easy to swap out.

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like some older trims might have non-leather steering and shifter. But I think that even if that is not the case and you have to get one that is leather for both of those items...you can swap those out. You can remove the leather from the steering wheel and replace it with a suede or sudo leather. Car shops can do this for a small fee and you can pick your own color schemes material. Its pretty common to after market the steering wheel. You can also do this yourself by buying the kit and sewing the new material on but it's really time consuming. Changing the shifter is also similar. Many after market nobs. Or I am certain that the same shop that will do your steering wheel can also replace the leather on the bronco shifter to whatever material you want. People also do this kind of stuff with the top of their dash or center console area, wrapping them in "nicer" materials to remove the "plastic" feel. In the bronco it makes sense with the plastic because of use cases but all im saying is the after market customization shops are out there and can do this work for you. I wouldn't make this your stopping point in buying a bronco, if thats what is holding you back. Cheers.

OP
OP

Meow808

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for your in depth answer. I understand I can after market swap pretty much anything on the car and that's the case with my current car, that being said as I have said up there aftermarket is not an option in this case :)

Seems like some older trims might have non-leather steering and shifter. But I think that even if that is not the case and you have to get one that is leather for both of those items...you can swap those out. You can remove the leather from the steering wheel and replace it with a suede or sudo leather. Car shops can do this for a small fee and you can pick your own color schemes material. Its pretty common to after market the steering wheel. You can also do this yourself by buying the kit and sewing the new material on but it's really time consuming. Changing the shifter is also similar. Many after market nobs. Or I am certain that the same shop that will do your steering wheel can also replace the leather on the bronco shifter to whatever material you want. People also do this kind of stuff with the top of their dash or center console area, wrapping them in "nicer" materials to remove the "plastic" feel. In the bronco it makes sense with the plastic because of use cases but all im saying is the after market customization shops are out there and can do this work for you. I wouldn't make this your stopping point in buying a bronco, if thats what is holding you back. Cheers.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh wow! Thanks everyone who answered, I'm looking fwd to finally own a Bronco and be part of this community :D

I'm a very specific / straight to the point person and additionally english is not my native language, so plz forgive if something I write comes out as harsh, im really grateful for all your comments 🙏

Some quick points below:
  1. SEATS: I'm aware seats can be MGV or cloth options, we are gtg there, I'm just asking steering wheel and gear knob :)
  2. BUYING A BASE: I'm aware base model WAS no leather, but as yall well point out it's discontinued it and it's impossible to find as new inventory. So this is not an option :(
  3. AFTERMARKET UPFITTERS: I'm aware an aftermarket upfitter like https://www.fordupfits.com/ could theoretically work on the car after purchased, however as I said in the original post I'm looking for a Bronco that comes "straight out of the dealer" without leather. This is common in other cars, for example in the New Defender you can get the "non-leather steering wheel" as an extra if you pay extra $300.
  4. FINDING AN OEM BASE STEERING WHEEL AND SWAP IT: this could work I guess but same issue as before, it's not "straight from the dealer" and requires aftermarket modifications.
So before I go explore option 4 (finding somebody who wants to swap pieces ) and although I'm afraid I already got my answer ("yes it's indeed leather") I'm going to still ask the question once again with as much clear clarity as I can:

Does anyone who owns a Bronco can tell with certainty if their steering wheel / gear knob are real leather?

Thanks much, yall awesome

PS: I guess I might need to open a new thread to ask for somebody with a Bronco base in CA who would want to trade their Bronco Base non-leather Steering wheel and knob (below)...
... by the leather one.

But I'm afraid it'll screw any type of new car guarantee or be just illegal under a car lease agreement, which is the root of avoiding the swap and wanting it "as is" straight from the dealer :(. Really unfortunate this can not been done BEFORE delivery and only AFTER as I'd be happy to pay any money for this to be done beforehand.
I’ll trade steering wheels

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi friends,
I've spent dozens of hours researching this topic, however I've not found anyone yet who could answer with certainty. Let's see if I have some luck here ^_^'

I'm looking for a Bronco "straight from the dealer" without any leather in the interior, but it seems impossible :(. After lots of research apparently every single Bronco now officially has at least:
  • leather steering wheel
  • leather gear knob
You can see this on any Window Sticker as "LTHR GEAR KNOB/STR WHEEL". (For example: here)

My question is:
can any of you Bronco owners confirm if the leather on your steering wheel and gear knob is real leather? I know some manufacturers call it leather even if it's pu leather/pleather/leatherette/etc. but I'm not sure what's the case here. I have read forums, asked dealers and even asked Ford Customer Service... and I'm still not clear.

Thanks in advance.

🙏
The Base model was the only model with no leather, but was dropped last year. I have a base model and like the non leather steering wheel, but it wouldn't be a big deal if it had it.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, since you don't have a Bronco yet... I'd just look for one like mine. Mine was a late 2022 (October) Base 2Dr build with V6/Auto. I've only got 4500 miles on it and it has always been garage kept. Hardly broke in.

Just checked... there are two 2023 "Base" listed in the LA area (a 2dr + 4dr). Heck, the 2Dr only has 1400 miles on it and its a SAS package for < $47000. Just go "slightly used" and your problem is solved.

I don't know why a "dealer" is necessary. Just an AutoCheck or Carfax report. I checked for these on Carfax.
Sponsored