Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So i currently own a 2018 base model Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and i am torn between trading it in for a 2 door Bronco or just wait and get the 2024 Tacoma thats coming out, which apparently will be using a turbo engine as well. I truly would love to get a Bronco but i have never had a turbo based engine before and i would like to know if any of these Bronco engines are worth it?
I just sold my 2021 TRD Off-Road that had virtually every additional package and accessory you can get from the factory. It was over $50k brand new when I bought it. It had the V6 with manual transmission.

I just bought a base model bronco with virtually no extra accessories or packages. I got grangers deal with Ford price protection, so I paid $30k.

For a difference of $20k+ between the two, I have absolutely ZERO regrets. The bronco is much better.

If your only question is about the engine: bronco all day! I went from a V6 in the Tacoma to a 4 cylinder bronco and it's night and day different with bronco being better. Tacoma engines are old, underpowered, and have terrible gas mileage! However, they are dependable and last forever

Edit: additional thoughts: the Tacoma is bad at "truck stuff" like hauling and towing. The suspension is too soft and engine too under powered. It's not a full size truck so the cab space and bed is small. If you need to occasionally haul light stuff, get a tow package on the bronco and buy a cheaply used utility trailer
Sponsored

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What’s the towing capacity of your Taco?

If you don’t know or don’t care to know - buy the Bronco.

But if towing capacity is meaningful to you, maybe a Bronco is not for you.

Plus the loss of a pickup bed as mentioned above. But in all other ways you’ll be happier in a Bronco.
Yeah that doesnt matter to me i dont do truck things with my truck lol

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just sold my 2021 TRD Off-Road that had virtually every additional package and accessory you can get from the factory. It was over $50k brand new when I bought it. It had the V6 with manual transmission.

I just bought a base model bronco with virtually no extra accessories or packages. I got grangers deal with Ford price protection, so I paid $30k.

For a difference of $20k+ between the two, I have absolutely ZERO regrets. The bronco is much better.

If your only question is about the engine: bronco all day! I went from a V6 in the Tacoma to a 4 cylinder bronco and it's night and day different with bronco being better. Tacoma engines are old, underpowered, and have terrible gas mileage!
Oh yeah for sure the Bronco is better but i am more worried about a turbo engine because their alot of mixed reviews about turbo engines. I know the maintenance will be different and power etc etc.

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base

If your only question is about the engine: bronco all day! I went from a V6 in the Tacoma to a 4 cylinder bronco and it's night and day different with bronco being better. Tacoma engines are old, underpowered, and have terrible gas mileage!

Edit: additional thoughts: the Tacoma is bad at "truck stuff" like hauling and towing. The suspension is too soft and engine too under powered. It's not a full size truck so the cab space and bed is small. If you need to occasionally haul light stuff, get a tow package on the bronco and buy a cheaply used utility trailer
This. Not to mention the Tacoma has one of the most uncomfortable seating positions. I'm 6'2 and the Bronco feels so much better.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh yeah for sure the Bronco is better but i am more worried about a turbo engine because their alot of mixed reviews about turbo engines. I know the maintenance will be different and power etc etc.
I edited my original comment to provide some additional thoughts.

If this was a brand new engine Ford built, I would be nervous. But the 2.3L has been proven in mustang and ranger while the 2.7L has proven itself in the f-150. There's a plethora of knowledge in those forums about how to do preventative maintenance, common issues, and how to optimize performance.

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This. Not to mention the Tacoma has one of the most uncomfortable seating positions. I'm 6'2 and the Bronco feels so much better.
I will always say the Tacoma manual transmission shifted like a dream. Best part of the truck

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I edited my original comment to provide some additional thoughts.

If this was a brand new engine Ford built, I would be nervous. But the 2.3L has been proven in mustang and ranger while the 2.7L has proven itself in the f-150. There's a plethora of knowledge in those forums about how to do preventative maintenance, common issues, and how to optimize performance.
Ok ok this made me feel a little better and i am leaning towards the Bronco lol

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You know ive heard about that but i am a shorter guy and i havent had and issue with that. But then again ive never driven for hours.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a 3rd gen TRD off-road Tacoma V6 before my Bronco. The 2.3 turbo is insanely more fun to drive vs the Toyota V6 so it's gonna be a huge jump from the i4 in your Taco. The 2.4 in new Tacoma should be about the same though. I was a guy who used the shit out of my truck bed so I do miss that piece but I also have a big utility trailer so it's not like I really am losing the functionality if I need to haul something. Cruising with the top off is sweet, obviously. Most likely I'll drive Bronco 2 more years till model year 2 of 4th gen Tacoma then get one of those if they still offer the manual.

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You know ive heard about that but i am a shorter guy and i havent had and issue with that. But then again ive never driven for hours.
I’m 5’6 and my Taco was uncomfortable for anything longer than 45 minutes. Dependable little thing, and my Bronco is light years more fun. It’s actually more fun than the FJ I had for 10 years!

I’ve been a ‘Yota man for 21 years - Lexus, Avalon, 4Runner, FJ & Taco in that span between my wife and I (she still has a Sienna) - and I was nervous about losing the legendary dependability of Toyota.

After 18 months and 23,000 miles in my Mordor Bronco Flex, I have zero regrets.

Sponsored
OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m 5’6 and my Taco was uncomfortable for anything longer than 45 minutes. Dependable little thing, and my Bronco is light years more fun. It’s actually more fun than the FJ I had for 10 years!

I’ve been a ‘Yota man for 21 years - Lexus, Avalon, 4Runner, FJ & Taco in that span between my wife and I (she still has a Sienna) - and I was nervous about losing the legendary dependability of Toyota.

After 18 months and 23,000 miles in my Mordor Bronco Flex, I have zero regrets.
That says alot tbh. Its my first yota and will be my first Ford so we’ll see how it goes.

wade65

Badlands
First Name
Wade Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 1965 Mercury Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rent Tacoma's often when I fly into Sacramento. They have nice 4x4 4 door fairly low mileage models. Bronco is light years ahead in comfort, power, and features. If you need a truck, the Tacoma is the smart choice. (I just rented a 4x4 Colorado, ewww) If you don't need a truck, get the Bronco and you will never look back.

kojack19

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't see anyone mention it and not sure what your budget is but I think the Ranger Raptor should be something to consider-The Bronco is its own thing-love it but it has its tradeoffs.

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
But hey in the event you want to buy a Tacoma......

Ford Bronco Bronco or Tacoma?!?! IMG_6360.JPG
Sponsored