Bronco Rollover

Salem747

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17F350, 79FJ40 (R2.8), 08M3, 99Tacoma (TDI,40"s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't posted for some time. We were lucky to get a MY21 badlands with Hardtop and Lux. It was delivered June 2021. This was my wife's car. She didn't like the idea of not getting to try it out a bunch before having to decide it would be hers, she's a planner! Anyway, aside from the recall on the roof and some issues with the window closing and doors, she really loved it. She called it Annie, after Annie Thorsdottir, a crossfit champion. Because she was "tough".

Sadly last November, she was off early in the morning (we live in Northern BC) for a hike with a friend, they hit black ice and completely lost traction cresting a hill, Annie spun and ended up rolling into the shoulder, it was a slope but it was pretty grassy, she rolled one time and landed on her wheels. Nobody was seriously hurt, but it definitely impacted my wife, she was really anxious about driving for some time and losing her Annie became more of a real loss.

The insurance company estimated $15k in damage but couldn't get it worked on by a shop until early MARCH!!!! so we waited, then we got a call that it could go into a shop in a nearby town just after new years so we jumped at that. The estimate for repairs once a shop really had a good inspection was $42,000!! Luckily we had paid for replacement insurance, so if the damage is more than 50% of purchase price they will find us a "same one" or give us the cash. When they looked in the market the cheque we got was for $84,000 (includes sales tax) so actually more than we paid for it.

She hummed and hawwed for a while and then decided to get exactly the same vehicle again but in the green (wasn't available to us in MY21) instead of Area 51.

The dealer said 3-6 months and I was skeptical but it is currently in production now and Christina is anxiously watching the tracking page to see when "Iggy" will be shipped to us. The dealer gave us $1000 off because we bought the first one from them, I'm happy with that, I know the margin on vehicles isn't much.

Anyway, just thought I would share.
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Glad nobody was hurt and your insurance choices paid off. The time delays become quite annoying though, this seems to be becoming the new norm.

OP
OP

Salem747

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I mean I don't really hold the wait time against them. They built something more people want than they can make, that's kind of a good thing. It reminds me that Ford didn't take a bailout back in 2008 and they continue to make trucks and cars that people want.

Just like with this rollover, the hydroformed roll protection system clearly did it's job and made sure everyone was safe. So they are doing something right!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Salem747

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad nobody was hurt and your insurance choices paid off. The time delays become quite annoying though, this seems to be becoming the new norm.
How do you like the green? My wife was concerned it would look dirty all the time. Does it have a lot of flake in it in the sun?

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
How do you like the green? My wife was concerned it would look dirty all the time. Does it have a lot of flake in it in the sun?
I like it. Not sure how to quantify "a lot of flake", the color does shift depending on the angle, and type of light. There is some sort of flake be it metal or perl. It looks much better in person than the rendering. Always looking dirty, I don't feel that, but I often am often away for a month or two and it always seems when I get back nature has done its best to get it dirty.

With the incline of the driveway elevating the front, and the high side edges of the hood, just sitting there for weeks on end without driving that would blow the material off, it tends to accumulates. So be it the fall and leaves, spring trees flowering and pollen, whenever I get back I feel I need to wash it. Other than salt in the winter I really haven't felt it needed to wash it again before I go away again.
Sponsored