Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks migo, very helpful. Can you expand on the procal loading portion?

You first plug Procal into the vehicle and load a calibration on. You should then be able to go to device info and see a Rack entry with what I think is the .bin calibration file.

When you go back to the computer to interface with the pc and enter the voucher code, what happens?
I think my situation may be a bit unique.

I keep my Procal unit plugged in all the time to view the gauges. I then plugged the unit into my computer, and when promoted to log into Ford performance using the Rack voucher, I received the same error everyone else did.

I reached out to Ford Performance and they had me connect to my computer again, and they were able to “request a file off my device.” They didn’t say what file. Their instructions were:

“connect the procal to the pc app or press update if already connected.

do not login to ford website.

press update

login to ford website this time.”

I logged in with the rack voucher number and it connected and downloaded the rack upgrade file. It showed up on the PC app and the Procal Unit.

FP then said:

“You can tell him that once he replaces the rack, he can go ahead and just plug in the pro cal tool and follow the steps on screen in the programming section. A new window will pop up saying “rack upgrade” click that with the vehicle on a battery charger and it will be all good to go!”

The program never instructed me to do anything once I selected Rack Upgrade, other than to power the bronco off for 3 seconds after it was done loading.
Sponsored

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep my Procal unit plugged in all the time to view the gauges. I then plugged the unit into my computer, and when promoted to log into Ford performance using the Rack voucher, I received the same error everyone else did.

I reached out to Ford Performance and they had me connect to my computer again, and they were able to “request a file off my device.” They didn’t say what file. Their instructions were:

press update

I logged in with the rack voucher number and it connected and downloaded the rack upgrade file. It showed up on the PC app and the Procal Unit.

FP then said:

“You can tell him that once he replaces the rack, he can go ahead and just plug in the pro cal tool and follow the steps on screen in the programming section. A new window will pop up saying “rack upgrade” click that with the vehicle on a battery charger and it will be all good to go!”

The program never instructed me to do anything once I selected Rack Upgrade, other than to power the bronco off for 3 seconds after it was done loading.
Excellent breakdown, thanks again.

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Bronco,76bronco,73bronco,06F250,96F250,97F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE:

I

UPDATE:

I finally had time to install the rack. I first ran the Rack Upgrade option on the ProCal with my 2.0 rack plugged in. The upgrade went through with no errors, but once I restarted the car, I had tons of error codes, including a power steering fault.

Then I plugged my Severe Duty rack in (without removing the 2.0 rack) and started the Bronco. The error codes then went away, but I had a check engine light on.

At this point I bit the bullet and installed the Severe Duty rack. It is straightforward and follows any of the many install videos on YouTube.

HOWEVER, I did install the BB 3.0 Housing (no issues) and the Rough Country driver’s side bushing. The bushing DOES NOT FIT the Severe Duty/Hoss 3.0 rack. They do not sell separate bushings for 2.0 and 3.0 racks or make it clear their bushings only work with 2.0 racks. Thankfully, I was able to machine their bushing and remove some of the material to make it fit.

Once I had the Severe Duty Rack installed, I ran the Rack Upgrade option once again. This time it worked without any errors or engine light.

Good luck!
How does the upgraded rack feel to drive vs the one you took out? Curious to know if the procal calibration is different than the FDRS way of programming. Some opinions on the FDRS way are that the upgraded rack is harder to steer at speeds but easier slow/stopped.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Migo excellent news, and thanks for the step by step. How long did the "program install run" Also, were you able to install the rack w/o removing the inner tie rods?

I received my Severe Duty rack today, waiting on the Procal tuner still which should get here this week, if all goes to plan I think @Gene Dios and I will be doing this project on both of our Broncos this upcoming weekend.

With the rack I received 7 bolts, which is I think 1 shy of every bolt removed if you take out the lower diff bracket. going down the line of some torque specs I think will be required:

Rack mount bolts (2x 21 mm): 189 ft/lbs
Steering column coupler: (1x 10 mm) 22 ft/lbs
Font axle busing bolt: (1x 21 mm): 195 ft/lbs
Axle tube busing support bolt: (1x 13 mm): 52 ft/lbs
Front Axle Carrier Bracket (2x 18 mm): 22 ft/lbs + 35Âş *not 100% sure on this spec
Front Axle Carrier Bracket (1x 21 mm): 30 ft/lbs + 70Âş *not 100% sure on this spec
Inner tie rod to rack: 89 ft/lbs
Tie rod end jam nut: 76 ft/lbs
Tie rod end ball joint: 46 ft/lbs

As far as I can tell, I either did not get a replacement upper front axle carrier bolt, or bushing bolt. I'm thinking the busing since maybe that's not single use like the rest of fords descriptions. But I'm not sure I care much either way, I'd 100% reuse any of the original bolts.

@Ducati1098 if you have access to any of the specs above that contradict what I've listed here, please let me know!

Side note: I measured the thickness of the performance inner tie rod. 0.589 vs. 0.514 or a 14.6% increase over original diameter and 31% increase in cross sectional area.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Migo

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does the upgraded rack feel to drive vs the one you took out? Curious to know if the procal calibration is different than the FDRS way of programming. Some opinions on the FDRS way are that the upgraded rack is harder to steer at speeds but easier slow/stopped.
The upgraded rack feels better all around. I did not find it harder to steer at any speed. It felt easier to steer and more in control. I am very satisfied with this upgrade.

Migo

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Migo excellent news, and thanks for the step by step. How long did the "program install run" Also, were you able to install the rack w/o removing the inner tie rods?

I received my Severe Duty rack today, waiting on the Procal tuner still which should get here this week, if all goes to plan I think @Gene Dios and I will be doing this project on both of our Broncos this upcoming weekend.

With the rack I received 7 bolts, which is I think 1 shy of every bolt removed if you take out the lower diff bracket. going down the line of some torque specs I think will be required:

Rack mount bolts (2x 21 mm): 189 ft/lbs
Steering column coupler: (1x 10 mm) 22 ft/lbs
Font axle busing bolt: (1x 21 mm): 195 ft/lbs
Axle tube busing support bolt: (1x 13 mm): 52 ft/lbs
Front Axle Carrier Bracket (2x 18 mm): 22 ft/lbs + 35Âş *not 100% sure on this spec
Front Axle Carrier Bracket (1x 21 mm): 30 ft/lbs + 70Âş *not 100% sure on this spec
Inner tie rod to rack: 89 ft/lbs
Tie rod end jam nut: 76 ft/lbs
Tie rod end ball joint: 46 ft/lbs

As far as I can tell, I either did not get a replacement upper front axle carrier bolt, or bushing bolt. I'm thinking the busing since maybe that's not single use like the rest of fords descriptions. But I'm not sure I care much either way, I'd 100% reuse any of the original bolts.

@Ducati1098 if you have access to any of the specs above that contradict what I've listed here, please let me know!

Side note: I measured the thickness of the performance inner tie rod. 0.589 vs. 0.514 or a 14.6% increase over original diameter and 31% increase in cross sectional area.
The program took maybe 2 minutes to run once I selected the option on the ProCal unit. If I remember, there were 6 segments that had to load.

I removed both tie rods in their entirety, because I had to install a billet housing and driver’s side bushing. With that being said, even without those modifications, I would still remove the entire tie rod on both sides. It is a TIGHT fit, and I barely made it work with the tie rods off.

Earlybroncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Wagner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22Bronco,76bronco,73bronco,06F250,96F250,97F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

press update

FP then said:

Did you have to pull program from old rack for procal. I thought that was mentioned somewhere but maybe not needed?

Migo

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have to pull program from old rack for procal. I thought that was mentioned somewhere but maybe not needed?
The program never asked me to do that. But Ford Performance pushed a file to my ProCal unit, so that was a unique scenario.

Nevertheless, I have a theory (not proved correct one way or the other) that the program pull for the old rack is for folks who buy the ProCal tool WITHOUT the Tune or who install the rack PRIOR to running the tune. The minimum requirement to install the rack is the Pro-Cal tool only (no Tune).

If you already have a ProCalUnit with a Tune installed, Procal creates a stock file of your system. The Tune program requires you to plug and unplug the unit to your computer to upload that file to the procal computer app. I suspect that process gets you what you need for the rack upgrade.

I ran the rack upgrade with my 2.0 rack installed, and it gave me all kinds of errors. The program never asked me to plug the ProCal Tool to my computer or made reference to an existing rack.

It worked like a charm when I re-ran it on the 3.0 rack.

K6V7N

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have ordered the rack and pro cal. Hopefully will be here in a few weeks.

Has anybody including those who have WT and Broncos with the hoss 3.0 and raptors, have you had any issues with the tie rods? Thinking about purchasing the icon tie rods as well

thank u for any input!!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anybody including those who have WT and Broncos with the hoss 3.0 and raptors, have you had any issues with the tie rods? Thinking about purchasing the icon tie rods as well

thank u for any input!!
You shouldn't have any issues with the FP tie rods.

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The program never asked me to do that. But Ford Performance pushed a file to my ProCal unit, so that was a unique scenario.

Nevertheless, I have a theory (not proved correct one way or the other) that the program pull for the old rack is for folks who buy the ProCal tool WITHOUT the Tune or who install the rack PRIOR to running the tune. The minimum requirement to install the rack is the Pro-Cal tool only (no Tune).

If you already have a ProCalUnit with a Tune installed, Procal creates a stock file of your system. The Tune program requires you to plug and unplug the unit to your computer to upload that file to the procal computer app. I suspect that process gets you what you need for the rack upgrade.

I ran the rack upgrade with my 2.0 rack installed, and it gave me all kinds of errors. The program never asked me to plug the ProCal Tool to my computer or made reference to an existing rack.

It worked like a charm when I re-ran it on the 3.0 rack.
More great info, I received my pro cal with tune today but I think I would choose to install the tune first regardless. However, to your point, I wonder if you removed the tune from your bronco if you would get several error lights because the de-tune may reinstall your original rack info.

Not sure why you would do this, and I'm not suggesting doing it, but I think that could be a concern for some.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thank u for any input!!
FP are good enough probably. I did go ahead and by some Icons on Amazon after verifying w/ Icon they were genuine. https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-2...711408814&sprefix=icon+tie+rod,aps,114&sr=8-1

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, I went to install the performance tune tonight, I was able to update the ProCal on the computer and download the stock information from my bronco to the ProCal, which was super fast, seconds even. After that step the pro cal had my vin information etc. However, when I got to the calibration step on the computer I got the "no calibration error".

@Gene Dios and I tried a few different things, but at least at this point, it appears even to get the tune to install correctly a call with Ford Performance is required. I'll reach out to them tomorrow.

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are going to have a heck of a time trying to stretch those Icon boots over the Hoss 3.0 flange. They are made for the Hoss 2.0 and they are quite a bit smaller. I have both on the bench right now and it is very difficult to get them to stretch. I have even purchased two sets of replacement Icon boots in case I damage them trying to stretch them. Please let me know if have better luck than I had.
Sponsored