First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Interesting report. I wonder how the Bronco vs Wrangler in different metro areas will compare once markups are gone and you can find both models on the lot
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

interesting info, but non-representative of many areas in which the Bronco is targeted for off-roading. 3 DMA's in NY, and OH, but none in CA, AZ, TX, or UT....huh???
There are plenty of DMAs in those states, but for the purpose of this study, S&P Global Mobility ranked the Top 20 based on retail new registrations at industry level in Q1 2022. From a marketing perspective, that’s not surprising, because Ford clearly benchmarked Wrangler during Bronco development, and the relatively new model has only been competing against its targeted competitor for about a year now. I’m sure both Ford and Stellantis are interested in knowing how the two competitors are doing.

It should be readily apparent from both this forum and Wrangler forums that many of the people buying Broncos and Wranglers are not using them primarily off-road. Many are city-bound daily drivers, mall crawlers, and/or garage queens, but both OEMs still gladly sell to those customers, too.

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bronco, Wrangler and Compact Utility Segment HH Income Mix, Q1 2022

67CB14BB-A764-4775-BF8E-911635B3605C.jpeg
Based on this, I’d wager that the average wrangler owner makes more than the average bronco owner.

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wonder the percentage of bronco owners vs wrangler owners who never let their pinky finger touch the glass that they’re drinking from.
not sure, maybe the “research” firm can tell you.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ignore the 'ratings' of the vehicles in this list. Just look at what comprises the 'Compact Utility Segment'.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs

Two of these are not like the others.
Seriously, the Wrangler is in the same catagory as a CR-V and a Tuscon? A Ford Escape? Hell, they have the Bronco Sport and the full on Bronco in the same category!
It -and in many ways, the Bronco as well - is purpose built to prioritize off road capability. They really - along with the 4Runner and a very few others- deserve a segment to themselve's.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure....

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on this, I’d wager that the average wrangler owner makes more than the average bronco owner.
You would be wrong.

Pro-tip: There is only one category on that chart that is uncapped. Focus there.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ignore the 'ratings' of the vehicles in this list. Just look at what comprises the 'Compact Utility Segment'.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs

Two of these are not like the others.
Seriously, the Wrangler is in the same catagory as a CR-V and a Tuscon? A Ford Escape? Hell, they have the Bronco Sport and the full on Bronco in the same category!
It -and in many ways, the Bronco as well - is purpose built to prioritize off road capability. They really - along with the 4Runner and a very few others- deserve a segment to themselve's.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure....
What it boils down to is interior room...a 4 door Bronco isn't that much bigger (if at all) then Escape interior wise, which is the metric that they use to determine how "large" a car is. That is why a Honda Accord sedan was a midsize with a sun roof, but if it didn't have one, it was a full sized car.

I just put my mountain bike into my Bronco and it was just much of a pain in the butt as my wife's 2017 Escape to fit it in the back with a seat down.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder how this changes when people can actually buy a Bronco
Exactly what I was thinking. Most of these figures are moot until both vehicles are readily available. Will probably be years at the rate we’re going.

Automotive brand loyalty is among the strongest sentiments we hold as consumers. The Wrangler is up there at the top considering how many people view the vehicle as core to their lifestyle. It doesn’t surprise me that Ford is bringing more new people into the fold than Jeep converts. Someone is far more likely to ditch their Rogue or CRV because Nissan and Honda have effectively ceded that ground by killing the Xterra and ruining the Ridgeline.

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There are plenty of DMAs in those states, but for the purpose of this study, S&P Global Mobility ranked the Top 20 based on retail new registrations at industry level in Q1 2022. From a marketing perspective, that’s not surprising, because Ford clearly benchmarked Wrangler during Bronco development, and the relatively new model has only been competing against its targeted competitor for about a year now. I’m sure both Ford and Stellantis are interested in knowing how the two competitors are doing.

It should be readily apparent from both this forum and Wrangler forums that many of the people buying Broncos and Wranglers are not using them primarily off-road. Many are city-bound daily drivers, mall crawlers, and/or garage queens, but both OEMs still gladly sell to those customers, too.
Ahhh, thanks for the enlightenment. Now I can see that the marketeers have made this study patently uninteresting for me. Moving on...

Sponsored

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You would be wrong.

Pro-tip: There is only one category on that chart that is uncapped. Focus there.
how many folks do you think there are ineach of those segments? That chart only gives you a percentage of each segment, not how many people are in each one.

there’s likely at least 10x as many folks earning $70k as there are earning greater than $250k. Based on what we all know about the average American salary.

theres a bell-curve in that graph, and about 96% of people are going to fall under the main part of that bell curve. That’s between $50k and $125k. Jeep has a higher percentage of each of those income brackets.

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Designated Market Area (DMA): Geographic areas in the United States in which local television viewing is measured by Nielsen.

Note: The 20 DMAs in the study were selected from 50 largest DMAs based on retail new registrations at industry level in Q1 2022.

Source: S&P Global Mobility

A6893C22-F817-42DC-BA9B-5D68F6A69945.png
Except Phoenix should be the 4th or 5th largest Market area. NY, Chichago, LA, Phoenix.

Ok, by the goofy way they measure we are #11.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
how many folks do you think there are ineach of those segments? That chart only gives you a percentage of each segment, not how many people are in each one.

there’s likely at least 10x as many folks earning $70k as there are earning greater than $250k. Based on what we all know about the average American salary.

theres a bell-curve in that graph, and about 96% of people are going to fall under the main part of that bell curve. That’s between $50k and $125k. Jeep has a higher percentage of each of those income brackets.
Everything is relative, income wise. $50k where I live goes a lot further than $100k in Silicone Valley or NYC....

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Everything is relative, income wise. $50k where I live goes a lot further than $100k in Silicone Valley or NYC....
Of course. Money where I live now goes a bit further than it did in Boston where I was before. But that’s rapidly changing all the time.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That last bracket includes millionaires and the Bronco has a 7 point lead in that category; that's a lot of 50K to 75K people, not just 10x but could be a 100x. There are communities (plural) near me, but not mine, where the mean income is in the millions (5 to 10 million dollar homes and higher) and my dealer and another dealer 10 or so miles up the road and every other OC dealer, get a lot of those people coming in and paying big ADM to get their Bronco now.

While guys on the lower end are the ones that have to walk away, NOT because of ADM, but other reasons such as job loss or gas prices or bad credit, couldn't swing the loan, bit off more than they can chew, ordered a build above their ability to pay and etc...

Lot's of reasons, but someone else is paying a nice ADM and for options like window etching, with wheels and lifts greatly marked up and more.

So yea right now that income figure is higher.
Sponsored