First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Don’t wash it in the sun wash in the shade. So long water spots.
Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve used swirl producing car washes almost exclusively on every vehicle I’ve owned without regret. The very thought of hand washing a vehicle makes me cringe. But I’ve waited too long to do that with my Bronco.

will a good ceramic coating protect enough to use the drive through wash without getting swirls?

f1loco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger Tremor, Porsche 911SC, Willys CJ-2A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all! Between the PR disaster thread and the GOAT mode explosion thread, let me ask for some guidance. I have washed cars my entire adult life, but never really considered how to do it well. Recently, my wife bought me an electric pressure washer with soap attachment that I use in conjunction with a sponge. But on my Dark Blue Titan I can't seem to avoid water spots and swirl marks.

So what advice can you give me on my Cactus Gray Bronco? How should I best go about washing it?
Good sealant - don't need to go CarPro Quartz, but a good SwissVax based PTFE will keep most of it from sticking. Wash, dare I say by hand (I only do that once every couple of months), nano-scrub (easy man's clay bar), cleanse (Swissvax), the wax with Shield or similar PTFE from SwissVax. That will last a good 6-12 months depending on garage/sun exposure. Then use CarPro RESET with a foam cannon, rinse (get a CR2 Spotless) and then I use my EGO blower to blow/dry the droplets off - no spotting, in theory, with the CR2 rinse will leave not spots as it filters the hard water out. I've got a black JAG now and no issue in FL sun come wash time. Every month I foam up with CarPro's Hydro just to give it a fresh slick coat. I get mine through Sky's the Limit - https://www.carpro-us.com.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don’t wash it in the sun wash in the shade. So long water spots.
I would have thought that too. But the blue on my truck spots no matter the sun exposure.

Orf

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2017 F-250, 2018 Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Santos

Badlands
First Name
Santo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977F100:1970 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve used swirl producing car washes almost exclusively on every vehicle I’ve owned without regret. The very thought of hand washing a vehicle makes me cringe. But I’ve waited too long to do that with my Bronco.

will a good ceramic coating protect enough to use the drive through wash without getting swirls
No. They are not designed to protect from abrasions.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pressure washer, foam cannon, pressure washer. 2 bucket method and ceramic coating. 👍🏻

Sometimes I even whip out the leaf blower and blow all the droplets off before they leave any marks. Ceramic is sweet.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

will a good ceramic coating protect enough to use the drive through wash without getting swirls?
No, those brush washes are far too harsh for anything to protect against them. Ceramic helps protect from everyday things like bird shit, tree sap, water spots, and insect guts. It can help reduce swirls during a gentle handwash/dry, but those brush washes are only a half step better than washing your vehicle with gojo and a scotch bride pad.

The hype around Ceramic is rather overrated anyway. It's nice, but it's not the ultimate "protect against anything, rinse clean with a garden hose" product that some companies/shops would lead you to believe.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Then a 2 bucket wash with grit guards in both buckets and a clean, soft wash mitt. Foam cannon used again for additional lubricity while washing.
If you want to speed up (albeit using marginally more product) if really dirty do foam soak rinse first but either way then:

Use your micro mitt but instead of two bucket just foam the whole car, do a section with the mitt, spray the mitt clean with your hose, then mitt the next section. I probably use the same amount of soap, maybe a little more, but goes a lot quicker.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You might need to DI your water. Don’t wash in the sun, treat your water or run your pressure washer off a softening system if you have one in your house and know you have hard water. Dry using an electric leaf blower.

https://youtube.com/c/MattMoreman

This is the place to go hands down to learn how to take care of your paint. You might disagree with his methods or the way he presents himself but Matt is hands down the best resource for washing.

Larry Kosilla at Ammo is great too. I personally like Obsessed Garage as it’s really geared towards people taking care of their car in their own garage.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would have thought that too. But the blue on my truck spots no matter the sun exposure.
then your waters to hard. Get a softener? Honestly get it ceramic coated immediately. Then the water will bead right off. My neighbors think I’m nuts but I use my back pack leaf blower to dry my cars. Then I get what ever is left over with a waffle weave town and adams detail spray.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Through all of the suggestions, 2 bucket, microfiber towel, inside first etc., the only way to avoid water spots is to dry that baby off after washing. Like suggested I have a small shop blower that I go over my vehicles, getting all the water out of those little crevices as I go. Then I dry it with two cotton, or micro fiber towels. Dry one panel at a time with first towel, then buff 'er dry to avoid streaks. Tip try do do all of this in a shady spot. Sun can dry the vehicle before you can get to everything, plus it'll make you sweat your ass off before you're finished. :)

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
then your waters too hard. Get a softener?
That is the probable cause, since I use well water to wash the cars and do other outside stuff.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My method is to have God wash it with rain and sleet/snow when he deems it necessary. Who am I to try to second guess a deity? Never got a swirl mark since I started following this righteous teaching.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh Lord no, I avoid those things like a case of the clap. There's no way of knowing how often they clean those big 'ol stripes of whatever they are made of, or the brushes. My luck I would be the one one that follows that big ass muddy off roader through the wash. Nope, me not gonna do it....:)

But, that's just me.
Sponsored