Gahendo

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 gt350r
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Put the maxlider on my raptor still need to do the crash bar covers.
Ford Bronco Bumpers: Aftermarket Bumper List IMG_1588
Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

i wonder how many, if any, more nee designs we will see. I really wish ADD had carried over the 4 light configuration they used on their raptor pickup bomber bumper instead of the 3
light setup on the bronco bomber bumper.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a bit of a review on the @JcrOffroad Vanguard front bumper. After owning the bronco for a year and surveying what was out there that would support all of the lux package tech, I finally pulled the trigger on the Vanguard. Ordered April 1st, and it showed up 10-11 weeks later.

I thought the packaging was pretty well done. It arrived on a pallet with expanded foam wrapped around exposed edges and wrapped in plastic wrap.

Build quality is really nice and the powder coat was also well done.

The install went fairly smooth. I watched a broncbuster video to see how to remove the factory capable bumper (the JCR videos show the factory modular and plastic bumper removal).

Ford Bronco Bumpers: Aftermarket Bumper List 1688410746581

Ford Bronco Bumpers: Aftermarket Bumper List 1688410786675

Ford Bronco Bumpers: Aftermarket Bumper List 1688410837588

Some notes:
  • Total install will be the Vanguard, ACC relo, camera relo, a pair of LP6's, a pair of Baja Designs SAE fogs (on week 13 since order and still haven't come in yet), and a HF Badland winch.
  • Other than the parking sensors and ACC relocate I haven't finished any of the electrical.
  • I bought the wrong harness for the LP6 install. Needed the one compatible with Aux switches, got the one that comes with a switch. Working with Baja Designs to sort that out.
  • As you can see I have 2-3" of clearance between the top of the LP6 and the BRONCO lettering. The LP6 doesn't look small on the bumper by any means, but if I had to do it over I'd go with the LP9s. I was worried I'd block the turn signal/BRONCO lettering so went with the LP6s.
Ford Bronco Bumpers: Aftermarket Bumper List 1688411222990

Notes cont:
  • You've got a lot of options for where to mount lights...I drilled 3 holes here for the LP6 bracket on each side. I chose this spot to potentially preserve the ability to add some tube work later. I didn't get any with this order because I wasn't sure where I wanted to mount my lights and also the baja bar doesn't appear to protect the camera after it's been relo'd. If JCR comes out with a new bar that protects the camera and allows me to keep my lights mounted in this location I'll buy it.
  • To get my lights mounted evenly on each side, I drilled holes on one side first, then used some cardboard to make a template pressed up against the recovery hook. Flipped it over to mirror the position on the other side. Worked great.
  • I didn't finish the winch install yet because I bought a factor 55 fairlead to use instead of the one that came with the badland winch. The factor 55 fairlead is noticeably smoother so I felt like it may protect the synthetic rope better. However, the factor 55 fairlead has smaller mounting holes than the badland fairlead so the included hardware wouldn't fit. That pretty much prevented me from getting the winch/camera relo done until I make a trip to the hardware store.
  • The SAE fogs should be shipping any day. I was worried that they would need to be installed prior to mounting the bumper but you actually have a lot of room to work back there. I think I can get them in without dismounting. I also bought the pigtails from 4x4TruckLEDs.com so that install would be easy.
  • And finally you are probably wondering how the tech performs...I'm happy to say that the parking sensors and ACC function great, with no hiccups so far.
My only two (minor) negatives (so far):
  • I haven't put in the plate to close up the area with the ACC sensor. I'm a bit worried that I won't have enough air flow if I install the plate. The regular plate has vent holes, the one that comes with the ACC relo doesn't. The bumper looks a bit unfinished without a plate installed, so unsure what my long term config will be. I may trace out some holes from the base plate onto the ACC relocate plate and try to take it somewhere to get machined out.
  • The parking sensors work fine but are only held in place by friction. I did put a bead of RTV around them like JCR suggested in their install video, but I think that's just for weatherproofing. It feels like I'm going to be chasing sensors popping out from curious kid fingers or just driving vibrations. It would be nice if there was a better solution to hold them in place. Granted, none of this has happened, but it feels like it's just a matter of time.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a bit of a review on the @JcrOffroad Vanguard front bumper. After owning the bronco for a year and surveying what was out there that would support all of the lux package tech, I finally pulled the trigger on the Vanguard. Ordered April 1st, and it showed up 10-11 weeks later.

I thought the packaging was pretty well done. It arrived on a pallet with expanded foam wrapped around exposed edges and wrapped in plastic wrap.

Build quality is really nice and the powder coat was also well done.

The install went fairly smooth. I watched a broncbuster video to see how to remove the factory capable bumper (the JCR videos show the factory modular and plastic bumper removal).

Some notes:
  • Total install will be the Vanguard, ACC relo, camera relo, a pair of LP6's, a pair of Baja Designs SAE fogs (on week 13 since order and still haven't come in yet), and a HF Badland winch.
  • Other than the parking sensors and ACC relocate I haven't finished any of the electrical.
  • I bought the wrong harness for the LP6 install. Needed the one compatible with Aux switches, got the one that comes with a switch. Working with Baja Designs to sort that out.
  • As you can see I have 2-3" of clearance between the top of the LP6 and the BRONCO lettering. The LP6 doesn't look small on the bumper by any means, but if I had to do it over I'd go with the LP9s. I was worried I'd block the turn signal/BRONCO lettering so went with the LP6s.

Notes cont:
  • You've got a lot of options for where to mount lights...I drilled 3 holes here for the LP6 bracket on each side. I chose this spot to potentially preserve the ability to add some tube work later. I didn't get any with this order because I wasn't sure where I wanted to mount my lights and also the baja bar doesn't appear to protect the camera after it's been relo'd. If JCR comes out with a new bar that protects the camera and allows me to keep my lights mounted in this location I'll buy it.
  • To get my lights mounted evenly on each side, I drilled holes on one side first, then used some cardboard to make a template pressed up against the recovery hook. Flipped it over to mirror the position on the other side. Worked great.
  • I didn't finish the winch install yet because I bought a factor 55 fairlead to use instead of the one that came with the badland winch. The factor 55 fairlead is noticeably smoother so I felt like it may protect the synthetic rope better. However, the factor 55 fairlead has smaller mounting holes than the badland fairlead so the included hardware wouldn't fit. That pretty much prevented me from getting the winch/camera relo done until I make a trip to the hardware store.
  • The SAE fogs should be shipping any day. I was worried that they would need to be installed prior to mounting the bumper but you actually have a lot of room to work back there. I think I can get them in without dismounting. I also bought the pigtails from 4x4TruckLEDs.com so that install would be easy.
  • And finally you are probably wondering how the tech performs...I'm happy to say that the parking sensors and ACC function great, with no hiccups so far.
My only two (minor) negatives (so far):
  • I haven't put in the plate to close up the area with the ACC sensor. I'm a bit worried that I won't have enough air flow if I install the plate. The regular plate has vent holes, the one that comes with the ACC relo doesn't. The bumper looks a bit unfinished without a plate installed, so unsure what my long term config will be. I may trace out some holes from the base plate onto the ACC relocate plate and try to take it somewhere to get machined out.
  • The parking sensors work fine but are only held in place by friction. I did put a bead of RTV around them like JCR suggested in their install video, but I think that's just for weatherproofing. It feels like I'm going to be chasing sensors popping out from curious kid fingers or just driving vibrations. It would be nice if there was a better solution to hold them in place. Granted, none of this has happened, but it feels like it's just a matter of time.
Road Armor Stealth with swing out on sale at Northridge 4x4...free shipping...nearly 1000 cheaper than from manufacturer (use boom23):

Ford Bronco Bumpers: Aftermarket Bumper List Screenshot_20230703_200202_Chrome

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Can you add Metalcloak to the list?

menikmati

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Road Armor Stealth with swing out on sale at Northridge 4x4...free shipping...nearly 1000 cheaper than from manufacturer (use boom23):
Looks like Road Armor just increased their price for this bumper to $3125 and Northridge is offering it for $2500. Amazing that their prices just keep going up! Other rear bumper w/tire carrier manufacturers offer their product for less than $2000, and JCR keeps reducing prices (Vanguard bumper is now $1034). Is the Road Armor bumper that much better?

PurpleBronco2.3

Base
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like Road Armor just increased their price for this bumper to $3125 and Northridge is offering it for $2500. Amazing that their prices just keep going up! Other rear bumper w/tire carrier manufacturers offer their product for less than $2000, and JCR keeps reducing prices (Vanguard bumper is now $1034). Is the Road Armor bumper that much better?
The boom23 knocks off another 250 and you get free shipping. I can't comment on the Vanguard, having not owned one, but they make good stuff (I have their rear shock mount skid and control arms plates). I just prefer an articulated tailgate and less latches...and the RA bumper, to me, seems to match the modular front bumper in design. Some of the other bumpers out there are too futuristic...

I think when you add up the complete cost of the Vanguard with accessories/swing outs it is over 3k, yes?

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[*]The parking sensors work fine but are only held in place by friction. I did put a bead of RTV around them like JCR suggested in their install video, but I think that's just for weatherproofing. It feels like I'm going to be chasing sensors popping out from curious kid fingers or just driving vibrations. It would be nice if there was a better solution to hold them in place. Granted, none of this has happened, but it feels like it's just a matter of time.
[/LIST]
I feel like I read at some point that capable bumper sensors are just barely a different size than the mod bumper? Or maybe it was the retention rings? @flip do you know anything about this?

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like I read at some point that capable bumper sensors are just barely a different size than the mod bumper? Or maybe it was the retention rings? @flip do you know anything about this?
I have not compared them side by side but do know the part numbers for Mod and capable are not the same. Huge difference in price of sensors between them too. @evilletruck just put on one of the chinese mod bumpers I ordered and swapped sensors over from the capable they were replacing and said they worked fine. Might be a slight difference on how the sensor socket is clocked but not 100% sure on that either. He has a video on his YT channel of the swap. The other mod bumper is gong on mine at some point but I'm using the mod bumper harness and some ebay knock off sensors that were 1/5 the price of OE and they went in the housings without issue. Don't know if they'll actually work until they throw it on so I'll be able to update when that happens. I can tell you for certain, the knock-off bumper and Mabett knock-off raptor fog lights do not play well. Must be a lot of variation in the stampings, end caps and fogs to necessitate a lot of plastic heating and massaging to make them halfway fit into the opening. Looks like crap and will probably be replaced at some point but wanted to try.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not compared them side by side but do know the part numbers for Mod and capable are not the same. Huge difference in price of sensors between them too. @evilletruck just put on one of the chinese mod bumpers I ordered and swapped sensors over from the capable they were replacing and said they worked fine. Might be a slight difference on how the sensor socket is clocked but not 100% sure on that either. He has a video on his YT channel of the swap. The other mod bumper is gong on mine at some point but I'm using the mod bumper harness and some ebay knock off sensors that were 1/5 the price of OE and they went in the housings without issue. Don't know if they'll actually work until they throw it on so I'll be able to update when that happens. I can tell you for certain, the knock-off bumper and Mabett knock-off raptor fog lights do not play well. Must be a lot of variation in the stampings, end caps and fogs to necessitate a lot of plastic heating and massaging to make them halfway fit into the opening. Looks like crap and will probably be replaced at some point but wanted to try.
Jumping in with a clocking question...I have a Road Armor bumper, and it (like many others) has big holes for the sensors and uses a simple rubber grommet for each sensor hole (or a plug for those without sensors). The senors are held in (in theory) with an interference fit. Fortunately the angles of the bumper are such that my back up process doesn't to throw too many chimes... but I was wondering whether or not other clocking makes any difference for each sensor? As in would having them at any particular o'clock make any difference whatsoever in regard to results whilst backing up?

Aluminess makes cool retainers for the sensors for their bumper but they are 3/4" OD and my holes are larger than that.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jumping in with a clocking question...I have a Road Armor bumper, and it (like many others) has big holes for the sensors and uses a simple rubber grommet for each sensor hole (or a plug for those without sensors). The senors are held in (in theory) with an interference fit. Fortunately the angles of the bumper are such that my back up process doesn't to throw too many chimes... but I was wondering whether or not other clocking makes any difference for each sensor? As in would having them at any particular o'clock make any difference whatsoever in regard to results whilst backing up?

Aluminess makes cool retainers for the sensors for their bumper but they are 3/4" OD and my holes are larger than that.
I really don't know the answer to that. I know the bracket is made to key the sensor in a particular direction that could be for clearance and how the harness is routed or because of how the signal is directed.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really don't know the answer to that. I know the bracket is made to key the sensor in a particular direction that could be for clearance and how the harness is routed or because of how the signal is directed.
From my crude experiments it appears as if clocking is solely for harness clearance and for sensors to snap into place...but I thought I'd check.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have installed a few after market bumpers and have not found any issues with different clocking of the sensors having any impact. The only issues I have had with them is they are very sensitive to scratches or scuffs. So just need to keep them protected.
Sponsored