Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did a restomod on my 1970 to make it more enjoyable (power steering and power brakes not available in 1970, modern seats, 5 speed manual, fold and tumble rear seat, etc.), but would not buy another one and not buy the 2021. My truck is valued at $55K (3 year process to include parts and labor) and I am spending $50K on a new one. The side-by-side comparison will show the progression from 1965 to today. A good mix of the old and the new. You spend your money how you wish.
Sponsored

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Starting to think I should take the nearly 60k and look for a late model full size.
There's a place by me that restores and resells old Land Rovers. Every time I pass it they look so great and it's so tempting. But then I remember all the stuff they don't have.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess that's true if using the second definition that means "old". However, in cars, the definition: "of the best and most characteristic" is normally understood. A '76 Vega is not
"Vintage", it is just old. Same with FSB's...as the best and most characterstics are Gen1s. FSB's are cool, but not classics by any measure like the original. They are just "old".
That is just your era, you don't need to try to justify it.

My car club started as a Model A club in the early 80's. The car show was named "Model A Day", they were all that was featured and they would pull in hundreds of them... which of course would imply a first gen Bronco was not considered "vintage" to them. It was just another 20yo beater the same as much of what is "vintage" now.

Now there is not a single Model A in the club and we might draw one or two Model A's to our 300 car car show.

What is "vintage" is always changing. I catch this with my Ranger and it is infuriating.

Eventually there will come a point where few will care about 50's-70's iron too. Time marches on.

Fun observation, it seems like 70% (unofficial) of the time vintage car people are drawn to vehicles about the same age they are which is also what is also what is generally common/popular when they are in high school. My Ranger a year younger than me, I got it my sophomore year.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I say,...Have both!!

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Get the base with Sasquatch. It will have a lot more features than an older one and save you $20k.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9326

Starting to think I should take the nearly 60k and look for a late model full size.
The thought has crossed my mind more than a few times. Bells & whistles aside, car tech plateaued in the 80's with fuel injection and 5 spd 'boxes. I actually prefer driving my '86 Toyota pick-up compared to our new Forester!

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I were to fix up my currently inoperable 1976 I’d still have to have a daily driver and something to drive out of town. I don’t have $50k to put into a primitive beer can on wheels, as much as I love the thing, and wouldn’t spend that much if I had the money.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is just your era, you don't need to try to justify it.

My car club started as a Model A club in the early 80's. The car show was named "Model A Day", they were all that was featured and they would pull in hundreds of them... which of course would imply a first gen Bronco was not considered "vintage" to them. It was just another 20yo beater the same as much of what is "vintage" now.

Now there is not a single Model A in the club and we might draw one or two Model A's to our 300 car car show.

What is "vintage" is always changing. I catch this with my Ranger and it is infuriating.

Eventually there will come a point where few will care about 50's-70's iron too. Time marches on.

Fun observation, it seems like 70% (unofficial) of the time vintage car people are drawn to vehicles about the same age they are which is also what is also what is generally common/popular when they are in high school. My Ranger a year younger than me, I got it my sophomore year.
Yep, it's annoying. Some old timer legislator here in Arkansas got wound up on seeing antique plates on 90's era vehicles so he pushed a bill to change the requirement to 45 years old instead of 25. F that guy. Even a 77 Bronco can't get an antique plate now. :mad:

If you don't care about safety features or performance and like to use your tools then the FSB might be the way to go. I'm selling my 5G to make room for the 6G but I'll be keeping the 1G ;)

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i would buy another 78 or 79 in a heartbeat...i've owned 1 of each and love the 400M/4 sp warmed up with carb, 4-bbl intake, cam and dual exhaust. It's a beast

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I daily an 86 bronco, 351W w/ C6. I love driving it, I am very happy to be back in something simple and utilitarian.

the maint is cheap and simple, easy to do in the 6 months and 7-8k miles I have put on it, I have spent less in maint than a single months car payment on a new bronco.

The only thing that sucks is the mileage, and I could remedy that some with spending some more time tuning up the carb. or spend some dough and put in an overdrive, could get it to around 15+mpg w/ the 351W.
Sponsored