Sponsored

Camping/overlanding Trailer Potential or Avoid?

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First I'm not currently into overlanding but we do camp quite a bit. A dedicated overlanding rig is not practical with my location in NJ and time I have available. I can't afford a $4000 dedicated overlanding trailer rig setup.

My plan is to build a camping trailer that can carry my gear and add racks to store and haul my kayak and canoe using something as a project build, either a military trailer that needs work or one of the harbor freight 40x48 inch trailers. This way I can use it easily to go to the local lake for a day on the lake or throw my gear in when we go camping.

I know the military trailers are a great base but they're expensive. I found this M416 for sale near me. He's asking $500 but I think I can get him to take 300 to 350. But it's damaged. I don't know enough about these to know how difficult it would be to get this dent out. It's just the one side. The frame and bed are straight.

Can this be banged out with a sledge or come along? I'm not too concerned with it being really straight. I just want something that's going to fit my needs.

Make an offer and fix it or avoid? I also know an M1101 for sale that's in decent shape I might be able to get for around $1000.

Jim

Screenshot_20211204-203450.png

Screenshot_20211204-203445.png
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check for rust in the bottom of the tub and on the frame. The M416 is very stout and the axle can be rebuilt / refurbished (bearings and such). Banging out that dent may be tough because the metal is fairly thick but if you can get it for <400 then it is worth a shot.

I've had mine for several years and have loaded it down to the point that the tires almost rub the fenders. Watch how you load it. They are well balanced which means the natural tough weight is a little low, which will lead to sway. Mine has the spare mounted on the front of the tub using a Jeep YJ spare tire mount. I highly recommend something like that.

These M416s are worth around 1000 if they are in good condition. You can mount cross bars and put a RTT on one leaving space underneath for gear. Good luck.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check for rust in the bottom of the tub and on the frame. The M416 is very stout and the axle can be rebuilt / refurbished (bearings and such). Banging out that dent may be tough because the metal is fairly thick but if you can get it for <400 then it is worth a shot.

I've had mine for several years and have loaded it down to the point that the tires almost rub the fenders. Watch how you load it. They are well balanced which means the natural tough weight is a little low, which will lead to sway. Mine has the spare mounted on the front of the tub using a Jeep YJ spare tire mount. I highly recommend something like that.

These M416s are worth around 1000 if they are in good condition. You can mount cross bars and put a RTT on one leaving space underneath for gear. Good luck.
I think we agreed on a price of $275. And it already has a tongue extension which I wanted to do so that's a huge plus. I'm going to look at it maybe this weekend and hopefully there are not any hidden problems he didn't tell me about.

If I get it, I'm planning on working on the dent and maybe sandblasting the body to get rid of the surface rust then have it powder coated (I have a connection to get it fairly cheap). I'm thinking a greyish color similar to my cactus grey Badlands. Then tires and the rack.

Kevers

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A little localized heat along the bottom of that panel will help make it easier to use a sledge and stand that rail back up. The hard part will be getting the bend out of that rail.

JonChicago

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do not get the HF trailer! If used for anything more than 3 trips a year to the local few blocks away garden center it will have met it's match. While the price is great so is the expense of having to get it towed out of the wilderness when the frame or axle breaks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I'm getting this M416 trailer. I don't mind if it has a few cosmetic dings in the rolled part of the rail as long as I can get the side straight and functional. I'm going to try and look at it Friday.

I think for $275 it's worth the gamble and might end up a great deal.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A little localized heat along the bottom of that panel will help make it easier to use a sledge and stand that rail back up. The hard part will be getting the bend out of that rail.
I had a crazy idea to try and use a come-a-long and prop it up against a tree to try and "pull" out the dent before I go all Animal from the muppets on it. Do you think that might work?

Kevers

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a crazy idea to try and use a come-a-long and prop it up against a tree to try and "pull" out the dent before I go all Animal from the muppets on it. Do you think that might work?
Yeah steady pressure would work as well.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I ended up buying it and i was able to talk him down to $225. A friend got the dent out tonight. Cost me $100. Not perfect but it's an old military camping trailer. I'm very happy.

Next will be the bearings, shocks, wheels, tires and strip the rust. Then POR-15 and bed liner. Finish it off with new reflectors, LED lights and a rack for the kayak and canoe. It's gonna be sweet. The gamble paid off.

PXL_20220304_232148554.jpg

PXL_20220304_232156024.jpg

PXL_20220304_232202405.jpg

PXL_20220304_232222582.jpg

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com