Sponsored

Can Badlands Sasquatch support a roof tent?

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette/Element
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As mentioned in many threads, Badlands with V6 and Sas cannot be optioned with roof rack from factory. Many speculate it is because the overall weight and center of gravity.

Does that mean, when I get one, I can't put roof tent (150lb to 300lb) on the roof?
Sponsored

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can do what you want. The roof will hold it. Ford just has safety numbers they have to adhere to. Even the Roof Top Tent that Ford sells is “Technically” heavier than the roof rack is rated for 🤣.

OP
OP

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette/Element
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I understand it is safety and liability. However, would be wise to go against the engineers who design, calculate, and determine the outcome?

TheOwl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas, 79 F150, 09 Harley, 22 KTM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Badlands, V6, Sasquatch, Lux was delivered with the factory roof rack and Tow package!

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As mentioned in many threads, Badlands with V6 and Sas cannot be optioned with roof rack from factory. Many speculate it is because the overall weight and center of gravity.

Does that mean, when I get one, I can't put roof tent (150lb to 300lb) on the roof?
The issue is definitely weight and center of gravity, as pointed out by other posters here. Too much weight on the roof leaves the Bronco prone to rollover.

I have the same issue (Badlands/SAS/2.7/Lux), but WILL be using a rooftop tent. My solution is the "Rev Tent" by C6 outdoor, it is only 25 pounds and can even be transported inside your Bronco until you get to camp, and then just toss it on the roof, no need to actually drive with it on top. However, unless you REALLY load your Bronco for a trip with a lot of heavy gear or multiple people in the truck, 25 pounds in my opinion should be okay on the roof and not worry about rollover (so you can drive with Rev Tent on your roof).

However, I think Ford advises to NEVER store or place items directly in the roof without use of a rack and cross bars. The roof is not made to support weight. I purchased a small, lightweight "half rack" for the roof that can be used to support the platform of the Rev Tent (not the Ford OE roof rack).

Here is the link to Rev Tent: https://c6outdoor.com/

Sponsored

The Bronc

Badlands
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Badlands, V6, Sasquatch, Lux was delivered with the factory roof rack and Tow package!
How did that happen? I tried, but it was not allowed or available.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve owned an RTT, and a GFC camper. I can honestly tell you that I love grown to prefer a good ground tent & a fat camping mattress.

You do you, but IMPO RTT’s are not all they’re cracked up to be.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are overthinking this. Ford literally sad that the reason was due to a software issue and that the B&P couldn't calculate the weight correctly (now we all know that is a BS excuse) but what is confirmed is it has to do with weight.

With the wild track, they added a rear sway bar when they added the roof rack... So if you're concerned, add one to your BL.

And 1,000 of off road vehicles have loaded up their rigs well past the weight limit. In reality, it's very hard to stay under the weight limit period.

Buy a roof rack, through Ford or aftermarket and move on, just practice common sense when it comes to putting a bunch of heavy stuff on top and then driving off camber.

OP
OP

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette/Element
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for all the informative responses. I am not a fan of rooftop tents. In some beaches, it is not allowed to pitch a tent nor to tow a camper. I want to have a roof tent just in case I need to take shelter from the elements. I will consider other trims for lower weight.

Sponsored

Chris_Derksen

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The issue is definitely weight and center of gravity, as pointed out by other posters here. Too much weight on the roof leaves the Bronco prone to rollover.

I have the same issue (Badlands/SAS/2.7/Lux), but WILL be using a rooftop tent. My solution is the "Rev Tent" by C6 outdoor, it is only 25 pounds and can even be transported inside your Bronco until you get to camp, and then just toss it on the roof, no need to actually drive with it on top. However, unless you REALLY load your Bronco for a trip with a lot of heavy gear or multiple people in the truck, 25 pounds in my opinion should be okay on the roof and not worry about rollover (so you can drive with Rev Tent on your roof).

However, I think Ford advises to NEVER store or place items directly in the roof without use of a rack and cross bars. The roof is not made to support weight. I purchased a small, lightweight "half rack" for the roof that can be used to support the platform of the Rev Tent (not the Ford OE roof rack).

Here is the link to Rev Tent: https://c6outdoor.com/
This is interesting. I've been looking at the iKamper Skycamp 3.0, but I like how light this is, and the fact that you can easily remove it. Have you been happy with yours? Anything you don't like about it?

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve owned an RTT, and a GFC camper. I can honestly tell you that I love grown to prefer a good ground tent & a fat camping mattress.

You do you, but IMPO RTT’s are not all they’re cracked up to be.
Interesting. I got a RTT to use on my Bronco. I am about to sell it.
My findings:

- have to set it up the roof every weekend. No way I drive with it daily since it doesnt clear the garage and would be too much of a hassle (mpg, noise)
- once at camp you have to pack it and re set it everyday if you move the vehicle. I usually change camp everyday anyway, but sometimes it’s annoying.
- very noticeable weight increase on the top off road. And it was one of the lightest on the market.
- super uncomfortable matt (and it’s one of the best at 2.5in, most competitors like iKamper etc are at 2in, a nightmare).
- Dimensions too small, and if going with a large model weight would be out of control.
- noise
- MPG

My Decathlon tent (model is « 2 seconds easy ») at 159$ sets up faster than any RTT in the market (yes you read that right, it takes 20 seconds to setup), you can have it in 2 or 3 person, is super light, and you can put a fat mattress in it.
I am leaving for 10 days road trip next week and I am 95% sure I’ll take the Decathlon and leave the RTT home.

I loved being high off the ground and how cool is it, but does that make up for the above…?

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. In my experience a good ground tent is lighter, more cost effective, doesn’t burden the vehicle full time and is ultimately just more versatile. Plus my ground pad is way more comfortable than my GFC or RTT even with an extra 1” layer of high quality foam added. My wife and daughters also prefer ground tents. In the past I had a fully built Tacoma set up expo style and it was a monster, however as I age I find myself wanting less gear. So if my bloody 2Door ever materializes I’ll be taking a old school approach. Armor, suspension, tires & gasoline. If I can pack everything I need in a 65 liter backpack I can live like a king out of the back of a 2Door.

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is interesting. I've been looking at the iKamper Skycamp 3.0, but I like how light this is, and the fact that you can easily remove it. Have you been happy with yours? Anything you don't like about it?
@mbagne I second this comment, after seeing your post I am intrigued by this. Let us know how you have liked it so far.
Sponsored