Sponsored

Can Bronco handle gas station car wash ?

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do the roof and antenna do well in machine wash?
Hey, I tried once... went through with 37" K02s, I fit but so much of the Bronco is missed with the brushes. Pillar lights, flares, roof light bar and the spare tire blocks a lot of the cleaning. Then the guys wipe you vehicle down, rubbing in the dirt.

I waved them off a MB d they just cleaned, vacuumed the inside.

Never been back....
Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a chain of "ScrubaDub" carwashes in Boston: I have several available, depending on where I am. For $30/month, I have as many brush washes as I want, which includes a felt-like rotary brush system, a wheel-cleaner, underwash, and Simoniz. I've used them for years, and kept my street-parked Sienna (now street-parked Badlands) clean, shiny, and rust-free.

They have higher and lower packages. Now I've signed up (for $10) a two-month trial of their "Delux," which will include a wheel-cleaning upgrade and Simoniz' "ceramic sealant." From their web page:

"Being hydrophobic, Simoniz Ceramic Sealant will repel water. When water makes contact with a coated surface, it will bead up for faster runoff.
  • The ceramic coating makes it more difficult for grime and mud to stick to the vehicle. If these elements should adhere to the surface, the cleaning process is faster and easier.
  • Simoniz Ceramic Sealant will improve the reflective properties of both the paint as well as the underlying clear coat, leaving the vehicle with a clear, deep shine.
  • Because of its extreme durability, Simoniz Ceramic Sealant will protect the vehicle’s gloss for longer stretches of time between car washing."
After the two-month promo, it will go up to $50/month, and I'll probably drop it, and go back to the basic Simoniz ($30/mo). I do find on the Simoniz, water beads up nicely. Scurbadub provides a finishing station with cloths to tidy things up and--yes--reach behind the tire, cause the brushes and sprays don't get in there very well. But I find very little dirt inside my Sasquatch wheel wells!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a chain of "ScrubaDub" carwashes in Boston: I have several available, depending on where I am. For $30/month, I have as many brush washes as I want, which includes a felt-like rotary brush system, a wheel-cleaner, underwash, and Simoniz. I've used them for years, and kept my street-parked Sienna (now street-parked Badlands) clean, shiny, and rust-free.

They have higher and lower packages. Now I've signed up (for $10) a two-month trial of their "Delux," which will include a wheel-cleaning upgrade and Simoniz' "ceramic sealant." From their web page:

"Being hydrophobic, Simoniz Ceramic Sealant will repel water. When water makes contact with a coated surface, it will bead up for faster runoff.
  • The ceramic coating makes it more difficult for grime and mud to stick to the vehicle. If these elements should adhere to the surface, the cleaning process is faster and easier.
  • Simoniz Ceramic Sealant will improve the reflective properties of both the paint as well as the underlying clear coat, leaving the vehicle with a clear, deep shine.
  • Because of its extreme durability, Simoniz Ceramic Sealant will protect the vehicle’s gloss for longer stretches of time between car washing."
After the two-month promo, it will go up to $50/month, and I'll probably drop it, and go back to the basic Simoniz ($30/mo). I do find on the Simoniz, water beads up nicely. Scurbadub provides a finishing station with cloths to tidy things up and--yes--reach behind the tire, cause the brushes and sprays don't get in there very well. But I find very little dirt inside my Sasquatch wheel wells!
Sounds like what I have under a different name. The ceramic treatment doesn't seem to do a whole lot though. But mine is only $20.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like what I have under a different name. The ceramic treatment doesn't seem to do a whole lot though. But mine is only $20.
$20 is a good deal--sort of the entry level subscription at the ScrubaDub chain. Having used the $30-with-Simoniz-wax package, I got very good beading, long-term, on my previous ride (Toyota Sienna), which I interpret to be good protection. I won't go long-term with the Simoniz ceramic package, but will run the Bronco through as many times as I can for as much treatment as I can get.

I'm very interested in other opinions, for and against. Bear in mind, I park on a city street, and don't have a nice, well-equipped garage and driveway to while away my Saturdays. (I'd rather go out wheeling!)

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

According to this sticker, you can only wash the 2-door top if you have a QR code box conveniently located to stand on.
Ford Bronco Can Bronco handle gas station car wash ? Hard Top Care

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Besides, the automated washes do a terrible job on the Bronco. Your entire backside will still be dirty as the brushes cant get around the spare tire. The wheels were always filthy as well, as the automated tire cleaners aren't set up for 35" tires.
Here's how I handle the area around the spare tire, every month or two:

Step 1 - take the spare off and leave it at home.
XrXfkMT.jpg

Step 2 - Run it through the car wash. This one is a super bargain. They have an eight dollar wash for locals that know about it (doesn't show up on the menu), plus if you get there before 9:00 am they knock off four bucks, so total cost is $4.00. Really.
1d5QGU4.jpg

Step 3 - use the rags that they provide to get in all of the tight spots.
FNNo0YV.jpg

For four bucks, it doesn't come out spotless, but with the provided rags and vacuums, it only takes a little more work to get it clean inside and out, including the areas inside the doors that collect dust. It takes a bit of work to get the wheels completely clean.

I didn't clean inside the fender wells before going and they're still dirty, but I don't care. I'll get that next time. This Bronco is never going to look shiny new again and I'm fine with that. But I clean up the paint, windows, and top when I can.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

XrXfkMT.jpg

Step 2 - Run it through the car wash. This one is a super bargain. They have an eight dollar wash for locals that know about it (doesn't show up on the menu), plus if you get there before 9:00 am they knock off four bucks, so total cost is $4.00. Really.
1d5QGU4.jpg

FNNo0YV.jpg

For four bucks, it doesn't come out spotless, but with the provided rags and vacuums, it only takes a little more work to get it clean inside and out, including the areas inside the doors that collect dust. It takes a bit of work to get the wheels completely clean.

I didn't clean inside the fender wells before going and they're still dirty, but I don't care. I'll get that next time. This Bronco is never going to look shiny new again and I'm fine with that. But I clean up the paint, windows, and top when I can.
Right! Since I have unlimited washes on my plan, I can go in for a 2nd pass. I also bring a squeeze bottle or two with all-purpose and/or window cleaner and get other surfaces done. Then I toss their cleaning cloths in their used (laundry) bin.

My biggest job was when I bottomed out in muck near Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge, Utah--a Ford Explorer pulled me out! (FacePalm.) Lots of thick, gooey mud dried. Spent three cycles at a self-serve power wash in West Wendover cleaning the wheelwells, bumpers, undersides. I might still have some stuck in there.

I appreciate the purists who go the handwash route. I just don't have the room or facilities. Good to hear from some commercial car-wash types.

Southern62

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Its an off road vehicle. Go through the car wash. I have a Challenger right now that I baby, but, I take it to car shows... Not going to take the Bronco....

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its an off road vehicle. Go through the car wash. I have a Challenger right now that I baby, but, I take it to car shows... Not going to take the Bronco....
In a post elsewhere, I recounted a red-light-fast chat with a guy in a spiffy, nicely polished black enamel Wrangler. I told him, in light tones, his car would look nice with some mud and dirt splashed over it. My installer tech told me, "90% of what I install doesn't go off-road." (Groan...:cry:)

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Can Bronco handle gas station car wash ? FNNo0YV

My spare tire and wheel are a bit over 100lb now that I'm on 37s so thats not happening, but great advice for smaller tires! I'm legit at the point that I can't even fix a flat on my Bronco, god forbid. I can't get the tire off the back and the jack inside my Bronco is FAR too short to touch the lift points now. I'm just gonna have to light it on fire and walk away if I ever get a flat..

Sponsored

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same here with Club Car wash on the Jeep for $20

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My spare tire and wheel are a bit over 100lb now that I'm on 37s so thats not happening, but great advice for smaller tires!
That's funny, calling a Sasquatch tire "smaller". :LOL:

It's all I can do to lift it up and line up the lug nut holes.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My spare tire and wheel are a bit over 100lb now that I'm on 37s so thats not happening, but great advice for smaller tires! I'm legit at the point that I can't even fix a flat on my Bronco, god forbid. I can't get the tire off the back and the jack inside my Bronco is FAR too short to touch the lift points now. I'm just gonna have to light it on fire and walk away if I ever get a flat..
I feel for you, brother!
I had 3 flats on my Sasquatch 35s @ 52 pounds, how much for the wheels?--a bit much for me at 75 years. On flat #1, some guys at a motel helped me change. On #2, a good Samaritan helped me change, and also plugged my flat, aired it up, and we lifted it onto the rear rack.
#3 was another matter. I was out in the middle of Snake Valley, Utah (look it up) when yet another stone worked its way into the Goodyear Territory treads and punctured the ply. This was true middle-of-nowhere! There would be no angry throwing of tools out here.
I had to stop and think it through: I was absolutely alone. I used the scissor jack carefully, making small adjustments up and down and got just the lift I needed to pull the flat off. Then, more micro-adjustments until the lugs were at just...the...right...height for me to wriggle the spare on.
Happily, a hunter came by and helped me lift the spare onto the rack. But he and I were probably the only two vehicles on that road that day.
After that, I decided not to do any solo deep backcountry exploration. Bummer!
So yes, "theherofails," you can change the tire yourself. Idea #1: Keep a block of wood in your Bronco to give you the 1-2 inches of extra lift for your big wheels. Idea #2: A thin long-handled brush can get inside the mounted spare and do some work.
Godspeed!
Sponsored