Sponsored

Can Curt Echo brake controller work on an aftermarket Tow Package?

adventureTime

Base
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2-door Base and in the process of installing a brake controller for a DIY Tow Package.

I have used the Curt 4-pin wiring harness and converted it to a 4/7 pin connector. I have wired the 4 pins to their corresponding pins in the 7-pin version, and that left me with 3 pins which are:
  1. red - 12V+ AUX Charging which i plan to connect to an ignition enabled 12V
  2. blue - trailer brake which connects to the brake controller
  3. purple - reverse light (i don't plan to connect this to anything for now)

Before i learned about Curt Echo, i was going to use this brake controller: https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-2021-trailer-brake-controller-towing-pack-1

I understand that to install a wired Brake Controller, i have to drill a hole for the adjuster button of the BC, connect the BC to the wiring harness under the dash, then splice the blue wire from the 7-pin to the blue wire of this wiring harness.

It makes sense that the blue wire connection from the 7pin will be connected to the blue wire of the wiring harness under the dash for the Bluetooth (Curt Echo) version as well . I am unable to find any confirmation for this anywhere so asking here in case anyone knows.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

2DoorDan

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hesitate to give advice about wiring colors. I bought my Bronco used and it came with a Curt hitch and a 4-pin hookup. I bought this converter to upgrade it to 7-pin: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/etrailer/ETBC7L.html and followed the instructions. Then I plugged in a Curt Echo for the controller. It works fine, but as I wrote in another thread I am not really a fan of the Echo. It is too loose in the socket and seems in danger of falling out on the road. You have to use zip ties or duct tape to hold the thing in there. So can it work? Yes, and some people love them because they are very convenient. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
adventureTime

adventureTime

Base
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hesitate to give advice about wiring colors. I bought my Bronco used and it came with a Curt hitch and a 4-pin hookup. I bought this converter to upgrade it to 7-pin: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/etrailer/ETBC7L.html and followed the instructions. Then I plugged in a Curt Echo for the controller. It works fine, but as I wrote in another thread I am not really a fan of the Echo. It is too loose in the socket and seems in danger of falling out on the road. You have to use zip ties or duct tape to hold the thing in there. So can it work? Yes, and some people love them because they are very convenient. Hope that helps.
Thank you for your response, it helps! I think I'm going to give it a try and see for myself what i think about the Echo now that i know it's possible to use for the aftermarket tow package.

I looked at the 7-pin product you have linked and it's almost the same as the one i am using (difference is they have different color convention). Did you have to connect the blue wire (Output wire on brake controller) to anything?

2DoorDan

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
adventureTime

adventureTime

Base
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
for those who are interested as well, this is the reason why the blue wire from the 7-pin is not needed.
Ford Bronco Can Curt Echo brake controller work on an aftermarket Tow Package? 1688743474206

OP
OP
adventureTime

adventureTime

Base
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model