Sponsored

Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller?

Scooter Trash

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anybody know if the tow package includes the trailer brake controller or is it considered an accessory?
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It’s a separate $349 accessory, in the accessories catalog.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Typically trailer brakes are only required on trailers over 3500lbs, does vary by state. Maybe that's one of the reasons they've kept the tow limit down?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Typically trailer brakes are only required on trailers over 3500lbs, does vary by state. Maybe that's one of the reasons they've kept the tow limit down?
I think they kept it down so goofballs don't have leverage suing them when they do something dumb.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had to buy that separate when I had an F-150 so this is normal.

I would like to see a picture of the Trailer Brake controller and how it is integrated into the Bronco.
At the moment there is no picture on the Ford Accessories website

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The suspension is what keeps it down. Stiffer suspension, more tongue weight it can safely handle and that means larger load. Bronco suspension is tuned for off road drivability and comfort in that setting.

Look at the Ranger, for example, basically same frame, stiffer suspension, and rated to tow almost twice as much.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tow a Smittybilt Scout trailer with my Tacoma, its less than 2,500 lbs. fully loaded and adding the brake controller made a significant difference. My Tacoma Is rated to tow 6,700 lbs. which I really can't imagine doing. I use the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and highly recommend it.

Its interesting the Ford page says "The only FORD APPROVED trailer brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems including: - Forward Collision Warning System - Automatic Emergency Braking"
Sounds a bit like scare tactics to me, they are implying that if the truck emergency brakes a different brake controller would not apply the trailer brakes?

Also "Custom ECU helps manage the truck’s brake signals" What does that mean? Why does the truck need help managing its brake signals?

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also "Custom ECU helps manage the truck’s brake signals" What does that mean? Why does the truck need help managing its brake signals?
Someone here figured out the LED tails don't have separate wiring for tails/brakes, it lights up brighter based on variable voltage.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Many vehicles come with a much higher tow rating and don't include a built-in brake controller.

There are many threads in this forum discussing the tow cap if you're interested in the actual reasons, as best as we can tell.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here are a couple of drawings of the brake controller wiring. The brake signal does not come from the brake switch like in the old days it is coming from the Body Control Module. So BPP ( Brake Pedal Position ) signal may not be a off/on 12VDC signal. But Ford does include a pigtail.
Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? 2

Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? Bake Plug Under Dash

Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? Pigtail

Ford Bronco Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller? 3

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The oem tow package includes some sort of prewiring for the Brake controller because the catalog states the factory Tow package is required to add their brake controller.

I slid underneath the bronco on Monday and from what I saw, the wiring harness for the Hitch does not have any plugs...they blend straight into the main wiring harness about a foot back from the rear bumper (driver side)

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The oem tow package includes some sort of prewiring for the Brake controller because the catalog states the factory Tow package is required to add their brake controller.

I slid underneath the bronco on Monday and from what I saw, the wiring harness for the Hitch does not have any plugs...they blend straight into the main wiring harness about a foot back from the rear bumper (driver side)
The brake controller connector is under the dash.
Sponsored