dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What's everyone's delay on the brakes? I installed this and it's about an extra second after I release the brakes, that the trailer brakes then release. It's rather annoying.

Towed the same trailer on a friends Chevy ZR2 and it had no noticeable delay.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's everyone's delay on the brakes? I installed this and it's about an extra second after I release the brakes, that the trailer brakes then release. It's rather annoying.

Towed the same trailer on a friends Chevy ZR2 and it had no noticeable delay.

Thoughts?
I've had a Redarc Tow Pro Elite (non-Ford version) installed on 2 different Broncos ('21 & '23) and it behaves no different than when I have the same trailer behind my f150 w/ a Ford oem factory-installed brake controller.

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just finished install on this same part is it expected to light up when no trailer is installed? I don’t have trailer yet to test but right now no light shows up as test instructions state.

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (First Edition)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Look at prior page for confirmation.
In order for it to light up it needs to see a load, 5 to 26 watts.
Good old- fashion trailer lamp will do this.
An LED tester will not have enough load / resistance.

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unfortunately using a trailer lamp with clips didn’t yeild any result, the controller seems dead still. Not sure next steps to troubleshoot

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, without the tow package the the plug for the brake controller wiring harness (under drivers-side dash) that connects to the controller is missing.

My camper weighs around 3000 and even with my truck that is rated at 12k pounds I would not tow it at high speed very far without the trailer brake controller. If you have to stop suddenly or on a steep grade it makes a huge difference and is much safer.
Not sure if this is always the case. My 21 Badlands did not come from factory with tow package, yet the harness plug was in place by the accelerator pedal for the brake controller. Easy work.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, so I'm a little unclear, and I'm sorry if this seems repetitive...

I have the Factory-installed tow package. To complete my situation, and have everything I need, I still need the Brake Controller, but because I have the factory tow package, it's just wiring harness that goes in the back and there's already a dedicated spot for the knob in the front? No drilling or headache anywhere?
No.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So dumb question. I have an extremely small offroad camper. Dry weight 1800 lbs. Should I connect the brake controller?
Probably. If you are doing trails, I would. One ton is still some weight pushing that Bronco and the Bronco is doing all the work. Even on the highway, could save your life. I think Ford was foolish for not including the brake controller with the tow package on a vehicle with a relatively low tow rating. When given the chance, people will do foolish things.
Sponsored