First Name
Mukul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: Bought a brake force meter and verified the unit is outputting correctly, took it to the dealer to troubleshoot and they couldn’t find anything, got a new replacement unit and it still behaves the same way. I can only conclude that the Ford OEM version only lights up when pushing the control knob in. It does not stay on all of the time like the RedArc version. Can someone else verify this?
Just adding that I also got ford OEM tow pro elite. And it does not behave the way the videos say. I am observing the same thing as you. When NO TRAILER, there is no led even when I press or turn. When finally I did connect my trailer today, it only turns blue when I press it. Now the only thing I can conclude is that ford version behaves a little differently. I just bought 21w bulbs and AA socket with wiring to check everything as I don't want to drive the trailer. And the led testers are useless in this situation.
Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just adding that I also got ford OEM tow pro elite. And it does not behave the way the videos say. I am observing the same thing as you. When NO TRAILER, there is no led even when I press or turn. When finally I did connect my trailer today, it only turns blue when I press it. Now the only thing I can conclude is that ford version behaves a little differently. I just bought 21w bulbs and AA socket with wiring to check everything as I don't want to drive the trailer. And the led testers are useless in this situation.
I can confirm the lights on the OEM controller work differently than on the RedArc version. That said the controller works great. I have no complaints.

4nomads

Badlands
First Name
Mukul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can confirm the lights on the OEM controller work differently than on the RedArc version. That said the controller works great. I have no complaints.
Can you help me with confirming what I wrote is how it behaves? And if so, can you tell me how it sets up when you drive. Like how do the lights behave when you drive. I have a trip and want to be extra sure. Much appreciated.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It behaves the same way you describe. When you drive with a trailer the first time it will flash alternating between green then red when you press the button.

It should turn blue after it calibrates after driving a while and stopping a few times (only lights up when you push the button). It will be red (not blue) if your brake force is turned up higher.

It will turn from blue to green (red on higher setting) when you switch from proportional control to manual control mode.

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hooked up the camper and did some testing today and verified the controller works. I had to put an temporarily put extension on the receiver for my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to clear the tire. I will be getting a longer shank for the Equal-i-zer hitch as I do not want to use an extension.

It towed fine, but I only towed it around the neighborhood as the chains were too short and the cable for 7 pin barely reached. It seemed fine driving but I wouldn’t want to take a chance without having a longer one and I had to unplug it to back it up again into the driveway.

C251B668-534F-44CE-A042-59BBAF8B8233.jpeg
OEM's ever offer the option to integrate ABS into the factory trailer controllers?

https://www.lci1.com/products/rv-supplier/abs

Sponsored

mwgriswold

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm so glad to find this thread. I can confirm the described behavior with the OEM version of the controller as well and didn't know it was normal until now.

Deleted member 49144

Here is my solution to the brake controller situation. Curt wireless brake controller. Plug it into the 7 pin connector and connect via bluetooth to the phone app. Done! No wires/drilling/knobs/hitting it with your knee/etc. It can be used with various vehicles as you can setup different profiles for each. I used it all summer towing my small camper and will be using it with my Bronco. Can't wait for spring and my new BB ride! (Hopefully!)
Controller.jpg
Wow , this is legit? This is a game changer. So you’d only have to wire it up for the Ford 4/7 pin connector with Ford hitch. Then activate this and you’d have instant electric brakes ?

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow , this is legit? This is a game changer. So you’d only have to wire it up for the Ford 4/7 pin connector with Ford hitch. Then activate this and you’d have instant electric brakes ?
This thing is legit for sure! Couple of things to note. My hitch and wiring was done at the factory during the build. I have seen folks discussing the 7 pin pigtail that plugs into the 4 pin on the truck. I believe all this does is give you lights on the trailer. No brakes. You will need to plug this controller into a fully installed 7 pin plug.

Two things that might be considered a con. You do have quite a bit of meat hanging out of the plug in. For security, I put a zip tie around the controller and attach it to the door of the factory plug in.

The other con is you now have your expensive controller accessible for someone who might be inclined to "borrow" it from you. You do have to enter a code into your app that is specific for your controller. Not sure if this would keep others from using it, but they certainly could easily unplug it and go.

This is not a problem for me as I unplug it and lock it up when I get where I am going. More than worth the PITA of running wires and permanently installing a controller up front.

Good Luck!!
Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback Curt Brak

Deleted member 49144

This thing is legit for sure! Couple of things to note. My hitch and wiring was done at the factory during the build. I have seen folks discussing the 7 pin pigtail that plugs into the 4 pin on the truck. I believe all this does is give you lights on the trailer. No brakes. You will need to plug this controller into a fully installed 7 pin plug.

Two things that might be considered a con. You do have quite a bit of meat hanging out of the plug in. For security, I put a zip tie around the controller and attach it to the door of the factory plug in.

The other con is you now have your expensive controller accessible for someone who might be inclined to "borrow" it from you. You do have to enter a code into your app that is specific for your controller. Not sure if this would keep others from using it, but they certainly could easily unplug it and go.

This is not a problem for me as I unplug it and lock it up when I get where I am going. More than worth the PITA of running wires and permanently installing a controller up front.

Good Luck!!
Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback Curt Brak
Amazing what technology does nowadays, I unfortunately bought one off the lot without the tow package. I’m currently in the process of deciding which route I want to go, either the 4 or the 7. You basically answered one of my big questions. I still need to run direct power wire for the 7 Pin. I believe that’s all I’d be missing. Don’t understand why the 4 pin direct 12v won’t work for it.

For me it would literally take 10 seconds to unplug it and throw it in the back for safe keeping. It’s a bit steep in price but looks like it’s worth every penny to me. 👍 no drilling and no wires.

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Amazing what technology does nowadays, I unfortunately bought one off the lot without the tow package. I’m currently in the process of deciding which route I want to go, either the 4 or the 7. You basically answered one of my big questions. I still need to run direct power wire for the 7 Pin. I believe that’s all I’d be missing. Don’t understand why the 4 pin direct 12v won’t work for it.

For me it would literally take 10 seconds to unplug it and throw it in the back for safe keeping. It’s a bit steep in price but looks like it’s worth every penny to me. 👍 no drilling and no wires.
Another cool feature on the app is you can setup multiple towing profiles once you get things dialed in. I have two vehicles that I tow my camper with. I have a couple of profiles already setup. I just choose the one I want in the app based on what I am towing with and I use the same controller for both vehicles.

It is pretty sweet!

Sponsored

GSchmitz

Outer Banks
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 bronco, 06 ram 3500, 2011 fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I have a 21 without the factory tow package it was not available to me if I wanted the 21, I had Ford install the correct brake controller but they would not (didn't know how to) install the remaining wiring to the trailer. I installed the flat 4 pin, then the 7 round pin kit ran the 12v charging and 12v brake wire to the front as directed. When I pulled my glove box to access my brake controller it was already plugged into the vehicles wiring harness the wires on this harness appear to be the charging, brake signal, brake power to trailer and ground. I have talked to no less then 5 dealers, Ford customer support who says I have to deal with a dealer nobody knows where these wires terminate or if I can just unplug the harness and direct connect. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to wiring, my words of wisdom at this point in the process would be to find a professional hitch installer in your area. They’ll know what they’re doing and can get things wired correctly for you.

GSchmitz

Outer Banks
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 bronco, 06 ram 3500, 2011 fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
TRUST ME i HAVE TRIED THE 2 BEST LOCAL PLACES 1 HAS NO IDEA THE OTHER WON'T TOUCH IT BECAUSE FORD WAS INVOLVED

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok, I have the Ford Red Arc Tow Pro and the light does not light up unless I have a load on it and press down on the dial. I have tested it out on my travel trailer and the electric brakes work great. Anything above the "2" setting has the trailer braking the Bronco. I have found in the Instruction manual on page 15 the testing procedure (attached) and will report back. Apparently the Ford version is different for sure.

@Mybbackpacker I installed the OEM controller like you. My LED only lights up when I press the control knob in. I was expecting for it to always be on when a trailer is connected. Does yours do the same?

I verified with a brake force meter that everything is wired and outputting correctly but the LED is not behaving as expected.
OK, so to be clear according to this video and the others I have seen the LED should be on (blue if in Proportional Mode) at all times when the trailer is connected not just when pressing the knob. Wasn’t sure if the OEM version worked the same as the RedArc version.

Mine does not stay on so there must be a problem. I have compiled all the feedback on this thread to help put it together.
UPDATE: Bought a brake force meter and verified the unit is outputting correctly, took it to the dealer to troubleshoot and they couldn’t find anything, got a new replacement unit and it still behaves the same way. I can only conclude that the Ford OEM version only lights up when pushing the control knob in. It does not stay on all of the time like the RedArc version. Can someone else verify this?
Dumb question, if I push the button should it light up with no trailer connected? Just installed it and don’t have a trailer handy. Wondering if i messed something up.
It should / will not light up without a load connected to it. Using a plug tester (led type) will not work either. I used some alligator clips and a cheap generic tail-light bulb from the autoparts store.
Using a lamp will make the knob light up/glow, and adjusting the knob will dim the lamp (indicting difference in braking voltage/force)

" To test your Tow-Pro Elite brake controller, connect a 5 - 26W bulb or automotive test light (with a bulb in it, not LED type) between the ‘ground’ pin (no. 1) and ‘brake controller output’ pin (no. 2) of your trailer 7 pin plug. "
Can you help me with confirming what I wrote is how it behaves? And if so, can you tell me how it sets up when you drive. Like how do the lights behave when you drive. I have a trip and want to be extra sure. Much appreciated.
It behaves the same way you describe. When you drive with a trailer the first time it will flash alternating between green then red when you press the button.

It should turn blue after it calibrates after driving a while and stopping a few times (only lights up when you push the button). It will be red (not blue) if your brake force is turned up higher.

It will turn from blue to green (red on higher setting) when you switch from proportional control to manual control mode.
I'm so glad to find this thread. I can confirm the described behavior with the OEM version of the controller as well and didn't know it was normal until now.

Attachments

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just got the Curt Echo Brake Controller. I haven't used it yet, but a guy at work loves his. I plan to reinforce the connection at the factory 7 pin connection, so it doesn't fall off mid tow. Apparently some reviews have mentioned this, so I figured I'll just do something from the start instead of pressing my luck.

Work friend said it works really well. I bought from the following online shop with no issues. On sale still too.

Curt Echo Brake Controller
Sponsored