First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an E-Pro FD with the same hitch set-up. Did you have to make any adjustments to the Equalizer hitch when hooked up to the Bronco?
I purchased a 18” equalizer shank to to clear the spare tire and I had to flip it where the shank points down to clear the tire due to the extra brace they add on the shank. Other manufacturers don’t have that on the shanks. I put the hitch at its highest point. I also ended moving the brackets on the trailer up one notch.
Sponsored

Bemcnamara

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F56S MINI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I purchased a 18” equalizer shank to to clear the spare tire and I had to flip it where the shank points down to clear the tire due to the extra brace they add on the shank. Other manufacturers don’t have that on the shanks. I put the hitch at its highest point. I also ended moving the brackets on the trailer up one notch.
Thank you for information! Happy trails.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Mybbackpacker I installed the OEM controller like you. My LED only lights up when I press the control knob in. I was expecting for it to always be on when a trailer is connected. Does yours do the same?

I verified with a brake force meter that everything is wired and outputting correctly but the LED is not behaving as expected.

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Mybbackpacker I installed the OEM controller like you. My LED only lights up when I press the control knob in. I was expecting for it to always be on when a trailer is connected. Does yours do the same?

I verified with a brake force meter that everything is wired and outputting correctly but the LED is not behaving as expected.
It It will light up when calibrating braking, changing modes, manually engaging, and braking, etc.

You can find information on Redarc’s website (tow-pro elite) and other locations. Here is a Youtube video.

If it is not operating like this, then something may be wrong.

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went on Friday to my local Ford Dealership to use my points to buy the Ford brake controller. They had it for the same price as the accessory website but the website offers $30 to install it. The parts guy said that was an awesome deal and sent me over to service to check the install price. Service said they have to honor the $30 install and to save my points and just buy it outright with the $30 install. I used the 15% off of the accessory site and paid $323.92. Once it gets in they will install it. I went from a 2 inch drop hitch to the Fastway e2 weight distribution and sway control. With the 2 inch drop I had to remove the spare tire and carrier because the camera would hit my power jack. Once I got the e2 setup I flipped the power jack head around. I will let you guys know how well their install goes.
Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback 20220130_102211
Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback 20220211_121757

Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It It will light up when calibrating braking, changing modes, manually engaging, and braking, etc.

You can find information on Redarc’s website (tow-pro elite) and other locations. Here is a Youtube video.

If it is not operating like this, then something may be wrong.
OK, so to be clear according to this video and the others I have seen the LED should be on (blue if in Proportional Mode) at all times when the trailer is connected not just when pressing the knob. Wasn’t sure if the OEM version worked the same as the RedArc version.

Mine does not stay on so there must be a problem.

stellandter

Black Diamond
First Name
Stella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mits outlander, Chrysler Pacifica, 67 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hooked up the camper and did some testing today and verified the controller works. I had to put an temporarily put extension on the receiver for my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to clear the tire. I will be getting a longer shank for the Equal-i-zer hitch as I do not want to use an extension.

It towed fine, but I only towed it around the neighborhood as the chains were too short and the cable for 7 pin barely reached. It seemed fine driving but I wouldn’t want to take a chance without having a longer one and I had to unplug it to back it up again into the driveway.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback 20220211_121757
Looks great! What model is your camper and what's the dry weight?

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I just got notification that the Ford Accessory part is backordered. :(

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, I just got notification that the Ford Accessory part is backordered. :(
Check the plug under the dash drivers side, the cover on my installed connecting plug is missing.

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed the factory trailer brake controller this evening. As you may know it is essentially the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite.

I went to pick it up from the parts department at my dealer today and they had it marked as paid and part of the deal. It was not, and I told them, but they said they did not care. No arguments from me as it is listed as $339 (said they could do it $284.76) . 😀

The installation was a bit if a pain, which was made harder by the idiocy of me somehow smashing my thumb in my truck door yesterday.

Thank you Ford not just running all the wires when you order the tow package. Also, thank you so much for not having a blank and forcing me to drill my own hole for the gain control knob. The install was much easier on my F-150.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures during the install, but I have attached the installation document in case somebody wants to see what’s involved. Here is an image of the installed gain control knob.

Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback IMG_4578.JPG

Note: If I was doing it again I would ignore their instructions and put the actual controller box on the driver side. Running the cables behind the glove box is a waste of time and depending on your options there’s not a clear attachment point like the images show because of other cables.
I know it’s been a minute but do you have any pictures of the console removed or the bottom of the cup holders?

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I actually just deleted them when cleaning up my photos, but the post for replacing the Wireless charging system made by another member has some diagrams.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...harger-install-in-factory-location-diy.32069/
Thanks, I found a post and removed mine. I’m working on adding the ambient lighting to the cup holders. Plus looking to add a wireless charger. Now to track down where the the factory wireless charger plugged in I’d like to stay with factory connections if possible.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, so to be clear according to this video and the others I have seen the LED should be on (blue if in Proportional Mode) at all times when the trailer is connected not just when pressing the knob. Wasn’t sure if the OEM version worked the same as the RedArc version.

Mine does not stay on so there must be a problem.
UPDATE: Bought a brake force meter and verified the unit is outputting correctly, took it to the dealer to troubleshoot and they couldn’t find anything, got a new replacement unit and it still behaves the same way. I can only conclude that the Ford OEM version only lights up when pushing the control knob in. It does not stay on all of the time like the RedArc version. Can someone else verify this?
Sponsored