Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hooked up the camper and did some testing today and verified the controller works. I had to put an temporarily put extension on the receiver for my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to clear the tire. I will be getting a longer shank for the Equal-i-zer hitch as I do not want to use an extension.

It towed fine, but I only towed it around the neighborhood as the chains were too short and the cable for 7 pin barely reached. It seemed fine driving but I wouldnā€™t want to take a chance without having a longer one and I had to unplug it to back it up again into the driveway.

C251B668-534F-44CE-A042-59BBAF8B8233.jpeg
Nice!!!!!

We just picked up a 2022 Geopro 19bh. the plan was to be able to tow with the bronco also and not just our f150. Looks great!
Sponsored

jdbronc

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500 High Country
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hooked up the camper and did some testing today and verified the controller works. I had to put an temporarily put extension on the receiver for my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to clear the tire. I will be getting a longer shank for the Equal-i-zer hitch as I do not want to use an extension.

It towed fine, but I only towed it around the neighborhood as the chains were too short and the cable for 7 pin barely reached. It seemed fine driving but I wouldnā€™t want to take a chance without having a longer one and I had to unplug it to back it up again into the driveway.

C251B668-534F-44CE-A042-59BBAF8B8233.jpeg
That's about the size camper I'm looking for. Is it within the 3500 GVWR? Most that size seem to be a bit over.

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice!!!!!

We just picked up a 2022 Geopro 19bh. the plan was to be able to tow with the bronco also and not just our f150. Looks great!
Thanks and congrats. We have enjoyed ours (19FBS) and taken it all over with our F-150 - you donā€™t notice it is even there with it. I am curious to try it at high speed when my longer shank and 7 Pin extension comes in. I know you will definitely feel it back there.

BabyJake

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks and congrats. We have enjoyed ours (19FBS) and taken it all over with our F-150 - you donā€™t notice it is even there with it. I am curious to try it at high speed when my longer shank and 7 Pin extension comes in. I know you will definitely feel it back there.

Thats 100%. Besides hard stops i forget about it being back there. Be sure and report back how it feels when towing with the bronco and what you needed.

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's about the size camper I'm looking for. Is it within the 3500 GVWR? Most that size seem to be a bit over.
The trailer itself is under 3500 towing capacity. The GCWR is very close. My wife and I cannot gain any weight and we are not heavy.

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for ya @Mybbackpacker, with a trailer ~3500, why did go for the weight-distribution hitch, if I can ask. I had thought these were only for very tongue-heavy loads.

(Planning on installing the brake controller myself, as well, to tow a 2750 pop-up).

:)

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question for ya @Mybbackpacker, with a trailer ~3500, why did go for the weight-distribution hitch, if I can ask. I had thought these were only for very tongue-heavy loads.

(Planning on installing the brake controller myself, as well, to tow a 2750 pop-up).

:)
I already had it for towing with my F-150. It gets the vehicle level again and the one I have helps greatly with sway control, it shifts weight off the tongue and distributes it more evenly across the axles. This will also help with tire wear on the back of your vehicle. The front end feels much looser without it.

Additionally, I know that both the F-150 and Bronco have sway control, but it is not the same as preventing sway in the first place. If you tow without it even on my F-150 you will notice a big difference. The height of the trailer, trailer tongue weight, single axle vs double axle, all make a difference too.

The Equal-i-zer brand design helps with sway more than some other brands.

Last edited:

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Okay, so I'm a little unclear, and I'm sorry if this seems repetitive...

I have the Factory-installed tow package. To complete my situation, and have everything I need, I still need the Brake Controller, but because I have the factory tow package, it's just wiring harness that goes in the back and there's already a dedicated spot for the knob in the front? No drilling or headache anywhere?

OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, so I'm a little unclear, and I'm sorry if this seems repetitive...

I have the Factory-installed tow package. To complete my situation, and have everything I need, I still need the Brake Controller, but because I have the factory tow package, it's just wiring harness that goes in the back and there's already a dedicated spot for the knob in the front? No drilling or headache anywhere?
Even with the factory tow package there is no dedicated spot for the knob. The directions supplied with the part have you put it in the location my picture shows and you must drill a hole to accommodate it. I looked and did not see a better location. It is annoying that there is not already a hole with a cover there.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Even with the factory tow package there is no dedicated spot for the knob. The directions supplied with the part have you put it in the location my picture shows and you must drill a hole to accommodate it. I looked and did not see a better location. It is annoying that there is not already a hole with a cover there.
So what's up with this then? Can you verify?

(Sorry for all the questions. I genuinely don't understand this shit and find it incredibly confusing, so your patience is appreciated.)
Jebster, as Mybbackpacker stated the tow package as everything for towing with the seven pin connector except the brake controller and there is a plug to the right of the steering column to plug the Ford (REDARC) brake controller in. No cutting are splicing of wires.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mybbackpacker

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

(Sorry for all the questions. I genuinely don't understand this shit and find it incredibly confusing, so your patience is appreciated.)
No worries. You don't have to cut or splice any wires, but you do have to drill the hole if you want put the control knob in the location specified. The pdf file I attached to the thread shows the detailed instructions for the install. If you look on page 11, step 17 you will see the location of the connection that should already be present in the vehicle if you have the tow package.

The controller accessory comes with the pieces shown in the image on the Ford accessories site.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-2021-trailer-brake-controller-towing-pack-1

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Mybbackpacker nailed it... but just to dig into it further in case it helps you or someone else who comes across this thread later.

There are two types of electrical connections for most smaller (sub-10,000 lbs) trailers:
  • 4-pin - Only contains the electrical connectors for the trailer lights. This is common on small utility trailers that haul less than 3000 lbs.
  • 7-pin - Contains the electrical for the trailer lights, electric trailer brakes, and auxiliary power.
---

Now with that out of the way... there are two ways to tow with your Bronco:
  • Trailer Tow Package - Comes with a 4-pin & 7-pin electrical connection and a 2" hitch receiver.
    • Even though it does come with the 7-pin electrical connector, it does not come with the trailer brake controller. That is a separate purchase. To install it, you will have to do some drilling and route some cables under trim pieces, but most of the cabling is already there.
  • The DIY method - Requires the following.
Given that the trailer tow package is a constrained item, the DIY method is a great option for someone who wants to tow lighter trailers or who only need the hitch receiver for something like a bike rack.

If you want to tow over 3000 lbs, most states legally require you to have a trailer brake controller. You can pay to have the dealer install the trailer brake controller for you, but as @Mybbackpacker said, it isn't too difficult to do yourself.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know the part number for the wiring harness (wiring from bronco plug to controller- item A in the instructions) that comes with this kit? I ask because I have a tow pro I just removed from my wifeā€™s grand cherokee and was hoping to just pick up the plug n play bronco wiring harness for our bronco w/ tow package.

Last edited:

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here is my solution to the brake controller situation. Curt wireless brake controller. Plug it into the 7 pin connector and connect via bluetooth to the phone app. Done! No wires/drilling/knobs/hitting it with your knee/etc. It can be used with various vehicles as you can setup different profiles for each. I used it all summer towing my small camper and will be using it with my Bronco. Can't wait for spring and my new BB ride! (Hopefully!)
Ford Bronco Factory Trailer Brake Controller installation feedback Controller

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great Post and comments - Ford was smart to not charge you.
Have you considered pulling the spare tire rather than doing extension of very, very heavily loaded sway hitch? Let tire travel in back of Bronco or inside RV, or mount on RV (better weight distribution as bonus). I used a 7 pin extension for a couple of years, and ended up installing a longer wire - even electrical taped on it would lose connections.
Sponsored