Sponsored

Tow Package prewired for brake controller?

OP
OP

Johnnycab

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Define “pre-wired” and “answer [your] question.”

As pointed out, it has a 7-pin connector with the factory tow package... so that to me suggests at least *something* is pre-wired.
Definition of prewired: My Silverado was ordered with a tow package. Under the dash was a “prewired “ connector that plugged directly into the brake controller that I added. Does that come with the tow package on the Bronco like my Silverado did?
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Definition of prewired: My Silverado was ordered with a tow package. Under the dash was a “prewired “ connector that plugged directly into the brake controller that I added. Does that come with the tow package on the Bronco like my Silverado did?
Hitting the nail on the head--

I have not seen that answer anywhere yet...Hoping so! I want to add a brake controller, but I would spend far less than that factory option hopefully and get a much better product. If its not prewired, I intend to use this
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/TK94FR.html,

Wireless, but relies upon the 12VDC being active on the 7Pin..

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve used this one for the past 5 years, no issues. But this is on a Chevy that was pre-wired for it. I’d hate to have to add some clunky aftermarket thing to my new bronco.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-4729...ontroller&qid=1611525610&sr=8-3&tag=hydsma-20

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? D7F68572-66C8-4F0F-984D-888CABDEC74A
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3, it has some features that the Factory Ford controllers don't have. It looks a bit more modern than yours as well. The biggest thing is the ability of the P3 to drive electric over hydraulic disc brakes on a triple axle trailer properly. Not that I need that with the Bronco......

I am hoping that Bronco with tow package comes pre wired for a brake controller, that the trailer lights are fused separately like most new Fords and 7pin battery charge lead/reverse light circuits are active. I like pulling the reverse light trigger from the trailer plug for auxiliary reverse lights. I use a the aux upfitter switches a diode and the reverse light from the hitch. That way I can turn on the extra reverse lights at will, or just have them com on when I put the truck in reverse. All of my work trucks are set up this way.

Sponsored

Willow

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not sure yet... but the tow package has a 7-pin connector and there is a brake controller listed in the accessory list that recently came out.

I’ll see if I can find it..

::EDIT::

In red for late availability. A little further than halfway down:

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? D7F68572-66C8-4F0F-984D-888CABDEC74A

I suspect it’s this: https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Of note, the product page for that says it requires factory tow package.
My husband found wireless brake controller at E-Trailer.com It is cool.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hitting the nail on the head--

I have not seen that answer anywhere yet...Hoping so! I want to add a brake controller, but I would spend far less than that factory option hopefully and get a much better product. If its not prewired, I intend to use this
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/TK94FR.html,

Wireless, but relies upon the 12VDC being active on the 7Pin..
My husband found wireless brake controller at E-Trailer.com It is cool.
I don't know about the rest of you but judging by how often everyday wireless connections lag or temporarily glitch I would not trust my trailer brake controller that way. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy as I age but it seems like life-safety systems should be hardwired in.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It seems like someone super awesome answered "my question" already with a link and a lot of good information is in this thread.

I posted the link for the trailer brake controller that Ford sells for the Ranger that is made by the same company that is listed in the accessories. It has a plug-and-play look to it.
  1. The Bronco does not come with a trailer brake controller. Therefore, you will not be able to use the electric brakes on a trailer as-is.
  2. The vehicle Ford is making alongside the Bronco has a plug-n-play trailer brake controller that Ford sells for it that is coincidentally made by the same company that is named on the accessories list.
I will buy @EvlNvrDys McD's if I'm completely wrong.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It seems like someone super awesome answered "my question" already with a link and a lot of good information is in this thread.

I posted the link for the trailer brake controller that Ford sells for the Ranger that is made by the same company that is listed in the accessories. It has a plug-and-play look to it.
  1. The Bronco does not come with a trailer brake controller. Therefore, you will not be able to use the electric brakes on a trailer as-is.
  2. The vehicle Ford is making alongside the Bronco has a plug-n-play trailer brake controller that Ford sells for it that is coincidentally made by the same company that is named on the accessories list.
I will buy @EvlNvrDys McD's if I'm completely wrong.
Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 1611556569432

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I don't know about the rest of you but judging by how often everyday wireless connections lag or temporarily glitch I would not trust my trailer brake controller that way. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy as I age but it seems like life-safety systems should be hardwired in.
Your not being grumpy, its just physics, all wireless devices have a time delay, or latency, hardwire will always be faster.

Sponsored

HOOTERVILLE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F150, 15 MALIBU, 07 STREETGLIDE, 22 Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I purchased a new F150 in 2019, it had every option I wanted except the integrated brake controller. I read that any new F150 with a "tow package" came prewired for a brake controller whether it had the controller or not. I took the dash panel off and it did have a connector taped to the back side. I ordered a Ford controller from a dealer on line for about $75 and installed it myself. But then, to make it work I had to take it to the dealer to connect it to the computer and "enable" this feature. Works great and looks like it was built at the factory that way.
I do not recall seeing an integrated brake controller on the B&P list. Did I miss it?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I purchased a new F150 in 2019, it had every option I wanted except the integrated brake controller. I read that any new F150 with a "tow package" came prewired for a brake controller whether it had the controller or not. I took the dash panel off and it did have a connector taped to the back side. I ordered a Ford controller from a dealer on line for about $75 and installed it myself. But then, to make it work I had to take it to the dealer to connect it to the computer and "enable" this feature. Works great and looks like it was built at the factory that way.
I do not recall seeing an integrated brake controller on the B&P list. Did I miss it?
You didn’t miss it. It’s not in the B&P.

There is one listed in the accessory list as “late availability.”

See my post earlier in the thread.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/goto/post?id=425991

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they’re anything like Jeep, Ford SHOULD offer a brake controller accessory option for purchase from the dealership.

I mentioned it before, I love the redarc tow pro product. Was a simple plug and play harness on my wife’s grand cherokee that came from the factory with the tow package and 7/4 pin connections at the bumper.

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 0A2BAA21-BF0F-4EDB-852B-2D3159762207

Last edited:

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did exactly the same thing with my 2013 F150. The wiring harness plug was accessible so that an aftermarket controller could be connected up easily. But I also used the OEM optional one. I like the fact that its integrated into the dash, integrated into the gauge cluster display, and integrated into the ABS and stability control systems. Aftermarket controllers might be good, but they can't do that.

FWIW, I asked the question about a brake controller as an available OEM option early on and was told no, they wouldn't offer that. But I would at least hope that the tow package includes a ready-made harness to connect up an aftermarket model. Better than having to run wires all the way to the back...

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take it you didnt get the max tow package then either? Beat thing about my truck is the 36gallon gas tank lol.
Sponsored