Sponsored

Does tow package includes the trailer brake controller?

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are a couple of drawings of the brake controller wiring.....
Thanks for posting that great information.

Glad to see the factory pigtail under the dash to add a controller. I'm a little disappointed the controller is not part of the tow package however, it is understandable. With the tow rating so low any trailer connected should be in the range that does not legally require a brake, and yet you have the easy option if a person wants one. Most will not need it and it is a cost savings factor (or better put, a way for Ford to maximize their profit).
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The brake controller connector is under the dash.
Do you know if it will be there without the factory tow package? I cant get a tow package on my build, so I am curious if the connectors are there for a 7 pin in the back and controller in the cab. Or will this be a splice job to get a 4 pin connector and it will never integrate with the dash controls like a factory package would.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you know if it will be there without the factory tow package? I cant get a tow package on my build, so I am curious if the connectors are there for a 7 pin in the back and controller in the cab. Or will this be a splice job to get a 4 pin connector and it will never integrate with the dash controls like a factory package would.
it doesn’t look like it will. If you buy the accessory 4-pin harness from Ford it includes wiring so I don’t think there is anything there without a factory tow package.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The brake controller connector is under the dash.
Yes... I was meaning by the tow hitch letting folks know there is not a clean method to add your stuff later. Looks like wire splicing would definitely be required.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My best GUESS is it will not there are a lot of parts included with the tow package. There is a trailer tow module that is setting on top of the driver side rear wheel well that connects into the wiring harness also.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Of course nobody can answer this 100% (hell I think Fords left and right arm can't even tell you).. but I'd say no way in hell.

If it says you must have purchased the Factory Tow package to use the Factory Brake controller, the educated guess is that plug under the dash and the "integration" is the reason why.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did they really limit the tow package to certain trim levels? Why can't you add it to yours?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here are a couple of drawings of the brake controller wiring. The brake signal does not come from the brake switch like in the old days it is coming from the Body Control Module. So BPP ( Brake Pedal Position ) signal may not be a off/on 12VDC signal. But Ford does include a pigtail.
2.jpg

Bake Plug Under Dash.jpg

Pigtail.jpg

3.jpg
Wow, thanks! I'll bite... Where did you get this from?

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tow a Smittybilt Scout trailer with my Tacoma, its less than 2,500 lbs. fully loaded and adding the brake controller made a significant difference. My Tacoma Is rated to tow 6,700 lbs. which I really can't imagine doing. I use the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and highly recommend it.

Its interesting the Ford page says "The only FORD APPROVED trailer brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems including: - Forward Collision Warning System - Automatic Emergency Braking"
Sounds a bit like scare tactics to me, they are implying that if the truck emergency brakes a different brake controller would not apply the trailer brakes?

Also "Custom ECU helps manage the truck’s brake signals" What does that mean? Why does the truck need help managing its brake signals?
I think part of is that in typical modern vehicles, lights are no longer simply operated by switches and relays. Instead, the switch sends a command to a body control module, and it decides what to do with it. A case in point, on my Fiesta, it didn't come with fog lights. The wire harness is there, and you can install the factory switch and lights, but they won't work unless you reflash the body module to activate the fogs. In the case of turn signals while trailering, the extra lights typically put extra draw on the signal circuit. It used to be that you'd have to install a heavy-duty blinker relay so that the extra load wouldn't slow down the flash rate. Now the body module or ECU deals out the current needed depending on the situation. When you plug in a trailer, it detects the trailer and then tells the ECU to send more current to the signals. At least that's my expectation.

Similarly with the trailer brakes - there is a lot more going on a car's braking system today then just pushing the pedal and moving fluid to a piston in the caliper. An OEM integrated trailer brake controller can potentially be tied into the ABS and stability control systems, and now, into the auto emergency braking as well. They could also embed a braking control strategy into the vehicle that changes key parameters when the trailer is detected, sort of like how GOAT modes change performance characteristics.

To be clear, I don't know how sophisticated the trailer control strategies are, but this opens up a lot of possibilities. But being able to brake just the trailer as part of a stability control without having to rely on the driver to operate the override would be big plus in that regard. Imagine if an OEM integrated controller could be used in conjunction with roll stability control, and could affect corrections to the trailer that prevented a jackknife or roll over that were caused by an unbalanced trailer that would otherwise get away from the driver? That's worth something.

The result, either way, is a much better, more seamless operation and integration of the braking functions. An aftermarket brake controller only know that you're hitting the brakes because its tapped into the brake light switch, which is 1/0 sort of input - on or off. The controller has its own built in accelerometer to try to figure out how quickly you're braking to give some proportionality to it. Even then, its dependent on how much you've turned up the gain. The OEM controller has direct access to any relevant data it needs from the vehicle's network and can be tied directly to the vehicle's electronic controls.

No matter how good an aftermarket controller is, its still not in the loop as far as controls go and is relegated to sort of guessing. Its definitely better than nothing (or better than trailer surge brakes), but given the choice, I'd always take the OEM controller. The added capability and direct integration make it worth the price premium to me. Others may feel differently.

Last edited:

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes... I was meaning by the tow hitch letting folks know there is not a clean method to add your stuff later. Looks like wire splicing would definitely be required.
I'm more than a little disappointed that there isn't at least some basic wiring support for adding a hitch in the future without ordering the tow package. But I guess that explains why the cost is what it is.

However, considering that the only thing that will ever get attached to mine is a bike rack, and the slight possibly of a winch in a cradle sometime in the future, I really don't have need for any wiring or brake controller. So I'm still not feeling bad about skipping the tow package and going with an aftermarket Class III hitch. Unless they omit the threaded frame holes on builds without the tow package it should attach with a few simple bolts, according to the pics of the bare chassis that has showed up at the various events.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
robepa, the drawings come from the Ford Tech System. The drawings just showed up a couple of weeks ago. Still no mechanical stuff yet.
jsharpe, should you decide to add some lights to your bike rack, which I did, I understand there are devices on the market that will give you a separate brake and tail light wire. I will have to do the opposite to hook up the tail and brake lights to tow our Bronco behind the motorhome.
Rocketeer Rick, good write up.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's messed up. If anything it should be standard on FE.
There is a lot of information about this in the other threads on this towing forum.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm more than a little disappointed that there isn't at least some basic wiring support for adding a hitch in the future without ordering the tow package. But I guess that explains why the cost is what it is.

However, considering that the only thing that will ever get attached to mine is a bike rack, and the slight possibly of a winch in a cradle sometime in the future, I really don't have need for any wiring or brake controller. So I'm still not feeling bad about skipping the tow package and going with an aftermarket Class III hitch. Unless they omit the threaded frame holes on builds without the tow package it should attach with a few simple bolts, according to the pics of the bare chassis that has showed up at the various events.
The frame holes are present on every Bronco. The Ford accessory hitch will use those as I am sure most aftermarket hitches will as well. The accessory hitch is a 2” receiver as is the factory hitch.
Sponsored