Sponsored

Tow Package prewired for brake controller?

Johnnycab

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve read the tow package doesn’t include the brake controller. Does anyone know if it’s at least prewired for one?
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure yet... but the tow package has a 7-pin connector and there is a brake controller listed in the accessory list that recently came out.

I’ll see if I can find it..

::EDIT::

In red for late availability. A little further than halfway down:

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 1611498259309

I suspect it’s this: https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Of note, the product page for that says it requires factory tow package.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll be installing the Redarc Tow Pro Elite brake controller. Have it now and love it.

josephs6392

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1940 Ford roadster pickup, 1947 Ford 5W coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is exactly why I opted to not include the tow package to my order at the dealership yesterday. Without the breaking system wiring the tow package is overpriced for what you get. I will add it later. There will be many more options in the aftermarket that will not require us to increase our monthly payment.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly why I opted to not include the tow package to my order at the dealership yesterday. Without the breaking system wiring the tow package is overpriced for what you get. I will add it later. There will be many more options in the aftermarket that will not require us to increase our monthly payment.
I bet we can get a Class III hitch, plug in harness and controller for about half. Probably 2 hrs of work start to finish and I get to do an upgrade to my new Bronco ?? Hopefully it’s available quick, that’s my only hesitation (I didn’t order it).

Sponsored

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The "break controller" is a manual over ride for a trailer equipped with electric brakes. You will still get electric brake actuation when you step on the brake pedal with the 7 pin set up and no "brake controller". In the F150 series trucks I have had you could digitally adjust the "gain" or the amount of trailer break pressure felt compared to the amount of break pedal used, I would think the Bronco would have this feature but can not find any info on it. I tow with an F250 with a class V hitch and a manual break controller and have only used it once on an extremely steep decline with a very heavy load, just do not see the Bronco needing it.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do you feel that the Bronco will not have "breaking system wiring". Do you have info where the 7 pin system on the Bronco will not actuate electrical breaks?

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I understand and if it is like my Tacoma there was no electric brakes with a brake controller. I also swear by the Redarc controller, made a huge difference towing my oof road trailer. Redarc is the only one I know off that doesn't have a giant ugly 1980s looking plastic box bashing your knees.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The "break controller" is a manual over ride for a trailer equipped with electric brakes. You will still get electric brake actuation when you step on the brake pedal with the 7 pin set up and no "brake controller". In the F150 series trucks I have had you could digitally adjust the "gain" or the amount of trailer break pressure felt compared to the amount of break pedal used, I would think the Bronco would have this feature but can not find any info on it. I tow with an F250 with a class V hitch and a manual break controller and have only used it once on an extremely steep decline with a very heavy load, just do not see the Bronco needing it.
That is completely wrong- the F150 you drove has a built in trailer brake controller, the bronco does not. There will be NO activation/No voltage applied at the 7pin connector to accurate trailer brakes without the optional brake controller. Electric brakes are modulated by a varying voltage that is output from the brake controller of which the Bronco doesn't have one built in.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As I understand and if it is like my Tacoma there was no electric brakes with a brake controller. I also swear by the Redarc controller, made a huge difference towing my oof road trailer. Redarc is the only one I know off that doesn't have a giant ugly 1980s looking plastic box bashing your knees.
You are correct- without a brake controller there is no way to actuate the trailer brakes.

Sponsored

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is completely wrong- the F150 you drove has a built in trailer brake controller, the bronco does not. There will be NO activation/No voltage applied at the 7pin connector to accurate trailer brakes without the optional brake controller. Electric brakes are modulated by a varying voltage that is output from the brake controller of which the Bronco doesn't have one built in.
Ok, so could you give me the info source that states this fact so I can make an informed decision.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok, so could you give me the info source that states this fact so I can make an informed decision.
All vehicles/trailers work this way? Trailer brake controllers are needed for trailer brakes to work. The ONLY exception is surge hydraulic brakes.

Find a vehicle at the dealership without a trailer brake controller and put your multimeter on PIN number 2- there will be no voltage when you press the brake pedal. Do the same on a vehicle with a brake controller and note the difference.
8BA5ED16-8B02-45CD-A6AA-7B40F3D07EC3.png
8BA5ED16-8B02-45CD-A6AA-7B40F3D07EC3.png

OP
OP

Johnnycab

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like we won’t know if it’s prewired for a brake controller until someone gets a look under the dash.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All vehicles/trailers work this way? Trailer brake controllers are needed for trailer brakes to work. The ONLY exception is surge hydraulic brakes.

Find a vehicle at the dealership without a trailer brake controller and put your multimeter on PIN number 2- there will be no voltage when you press the brake pedal. Do the same on a vehicle with a brake controller and note the difference.
Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 8BA5ED16-8B02-45CD-A6AA-7B40F3D07EC3
Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 8BA5ED16-8B02-45CD-A6AA-7B40F3D07EC3
Good info, already have and know this, nothing here says the Bronco does not have break controller capabilty if equipped with the tow capability package.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Good info, already have and know this, nothing here says the Bronco does not have break controller capabilty if equipped with the tow capability package.
Good luck
Sponsored