Sponsored

Tow Package prewired for brake controller?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably 99% this:
https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Looks fairly plug and play.

@chtucker put out great info. If you don't get it from there, then don't tow? You can't have an unmodulated current going to trailer brakes or you will ruin the tires or perhaps worse. I have a 2017 F150 with the trailer brake controller. It's that slider that you said you adjusted the gain with...

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Last edited:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I know is if my Bronco breaks are broke when I get it then I am taking a brake to figure out how I am going to brake the sales persons neck for selling me a braked truck .

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is exactly why I opted to not include the tow package to my order at the dealership yesterday. Without the breaking system wiring the tow package is overpriced for what you get. I will add it later. There will be many more options in the aftermarket that will not require us to increase our monthly payment.
I agree the tow capability package is an overpriced bad deal. If I was buying a 2023 and the aftermarket already had available options, there is no way I would order it. However, if I do order without towing, and I do get a 2021, there is a risk I can't tow for a while waiting for the aftermarket to catch up....

(Edit) I wonder how close the frame is in width to the Ranger, and if the rear tow hook bolts are in the same place as the Ranger hitch bolts: https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13417/installsheet/13417_INS.PDF

Last edited:

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure yet... but the tow package has a 7-pin connector and there is a brake controller listed in the accessory list that recently came out.

I’ll see if I can find it..

::EDIT::

In red for late availability. A little further than halfway down:

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 1611523972770

I suspect it’s this: https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

Of note, the product page for that says it requires factory tow package.
429 seems like an absolute rip off. I feel like they are around 50 bucks at the parts store.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
OP
OP

Johnnycab

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All this information is fun to read but no one has been able to answer my original question. Is it prewired for the addition of a brake controller when you order the tow package?

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
without the brake controller, there will be no voltage going to the pin labeled “electric brakes”
I’m not familiar with factory installed hitches, but you would think all the wires present would be used. Glad I found this thread. I would like to know the answer as well.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
without the brake controller, there will be no voltage going to the pin labeled “electric brakes”
1000% People will be sorely disappointed when they can't actuate the trailer brakes if they are expecting some Bronco magic. The F trucks can order a trailer hitch/wiring without the brake controller- looks like the Bronco is the exact same, except NO WHERE has there been shown a built in brake controller like the F150-Superdutys.

You can "wish" it all you want, but as someone who has managed a fleet of over 3000 vehicles, you will need an additional brake controller on the Bronco. I have built multiple triple axle 21k electric over hydraulic boat trailers and am well versed in how trailer brakes work.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this information is fun to read but no one has been able to answer my original question. Is it prewired for the addition of a brake controller when you order the tow package?
Define “pre-wired” and “answer [your] question.”

As pointed out, it has a 7-pin connector with the factory tow package... and the factory accessory brake controller states it requires the tow package... so that to me suggests at least *some* prewiring is done with the tow package.

Last edited:

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thats the million dollar question- especially if you don't order the trailer tow package. Is it just a harness at the rear of the vehicle that needs to be ordered or is it under hood/dash wiring that needs to be added.

We know for sure it won't have a brake controller from the factory.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Define “pre-wired” and “answer [your] question.”

As pointed out, it has a 7-pin connector with the factory tow package... so that to me suggests at least *something* is pre-wired.
Agreed- I worry for those that don't order the tow package and might be disappointed that it is a bit more difficult to add the under hood wiring for the trailer brake control. Not saying it is either way, but it could complicate things if people think they will be replicating the factory tow package
Sponsored