Sponsored

Curt Echo wireless brake controller - experiences?

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am looking at renting a small travel trailer in the next few months, and, if I like it, buying one in the next year or so. I have the factory tow package, but need to add a brake controller. I found the Curt Echo wireless controller, and love it because I don't have to install anything, and because I'd only have to buy one controller for use with as many vehicles as I want. I did a search, and have seen at least on person on here say they used it on their Bronco, but I wanted to check in and see if other's are using it, their experiences, and anything I need to know.

The issue is that I don't want to show up to pick up my rented trailer and find the controller doesn't work for some reason, because I won't have time to do anything about it. We will only be going about an hour away, so I'm planning on picking up the trailer the day we go.
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm interested in this....gotta link?

2DoorDan

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been using this on my Bronco, and it works but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. One issue is that it does not fit solidly in the 6-way socket, so I'm concerned that it will drop out on a bump. It comes with a rubber strap thingy that wraps around the socket cover that does not add much stability. So I always wrap duct tape around the controller and socket to make sure it stays in there. It's a poor design IMO. Second, having the control on your phone is not ideal. The app has to be open and the screen live for it to be of any use, and that's not normally what you do with a phone in your car. I'm thinking that I will replace it with a Tekonsha Prodigy RF when I get the money together. It is bluetooth (not hard wired in cab) but has a dedicated display for the dash.

Ruby1

Heritage
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Heritage In Production
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I have used it and I also think that although it works well, the physical connection is not that strong. I used a couple of zipties along with the rubber strap, to make sure that it stays connected. I used it for a trip to the mountains with my travel trailer, and it worked perfectly. There was one instance on the way home, where the app crashed, but all I had to do was restart it. I may look at an alternative down the road.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been using this on my Bronco, and it works but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. One issue is that it does not fit solidly in the 6-way socket, so I'm concerned that it will drop out on a bump. It comes with a rubber strap thingy that wraps around the socket cover that does not add much stability. So I always wrap duct tape around the controller and socket to make sure it stays in there. It's a poor design IMO. Second, having the control on your phone is not ideal. The app has to be open and the screen live for it to be of any use, and that's not normally what you do with a phone in your car. I'm thinking that I will replace it with a Tekonsha Prodigy RF when I get the money together. It is bluetooth (not hard wired in cab) but has a dedicated display for the dash.
Thanks, I'll look into the Tekonsha - its not much more than the Curt.

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am looking at renting a small travel trailer in the next few months, and, if I like it, buying one in the next year or so. I have the factory tow package, but need to add a brake controller. I found the Curt Echo wireless controller, and love it because I don't have to install anything, and because I'd only have to buy one controller for use with as many vehicles as I want. I did a search, and have seen at least on person on here say they used it on their Bronco, but I wanted to check in and see if other's are using it, their experiences, and anything I need to know.

The issue is that I don't want to show up to pick up my rented trailer and find the controller doesn't work for some reason, because I won't have time to do anything about it. We will only be going about an hour away, so I'm planning on picking up the trailer the day we go.
I've used mine 3 times now with my NuCamp TagXL BD, twice for 850 mile round trips, once for 350, and it worked flawlessly. I do add a ziptie since the connection is kind of flimsy and I just don't trust the rubber strap, and about 80 of those miles were on really rough dirt roads, but it held up perfectly. The instructions state that if you lose your phone reception, which I did on the 2 longer trips, the Echo still works, which it apparently did, so no problem!

IMG_0273.jpg

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like Curt needs to engineer a better connector to hold it in place and make the app compatible with CarPlay/AndroidAuto and it would be even better

jbryant

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Curt Echo. It works great for me. It is a bit sensitive when adjusting the brake pressure, but overall, it works great.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question: Did you get this because you didn't order the Tow package with your Bronco?

I ask because the Tow package has some sort of Trailer sway feature built in.

Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question: Did you get this because you didn't order the Tow package with your Bronco?

Thanks
No, this has nothing to do with trailer sway. This is a brake controller that is required when towing vehicles with electric brakes so that you can adjust how much the trailer applies the brakes compared to the tow vehicle.

A question I have, maybe someone can answer here, is what it the purpose of a 7 pin hitch without a brake controller?

2DoorDan

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

I bought my Bronco used (with 4k miles) so I didn't order anything. And this is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm not sure if the tow package is in there. It came to me with a Curt hitch and 4-pin wiring. It does have some sort of trailer sway control built in though - a few times when a gust of wind hit the trailer, the Bronco screen popped up a warning about excessive trailer sway detected, and it applied the trailer brakes automatically (!) through the Curt Echo, which was surprising, to say the least. I really can't explain it unless it has the tow package software at least.

A question I have, maybe someone can answer here, is what it the purpose of a 7 pin hitch without a brake controller?
Obviously, there is none. However using an external brake controller allows you to avoid mounting/wiring stuff in the cab. Wiring up a 7-pin connector is dead simple if you can skip the brake controller in the cab, and plug in an Echo. In my case I already owned an Echo for use with a previous vehicle when I got my Bronco. So I did the install the same way as before. Now I'm having second thoughts about it, and thinking about finding a better solution.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Curt Echo. It works great for me. It is a bit sensitive when adjusting the brake pressure, but overall, it works great.
Did you have to do anything special to make the brake controller work initially? I noticed there were some special instructions needed for an F150. I’m hoping if I just follow the set up instructions for the controller , it will work.

jbryant

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have to do anything special to make the brake controller work initially? I noticed there were some special instructions needed for an F150. I’m hoping if I just follow the set up instructions for the controller , it will work.
I followed the setup instructions. It was pretty easy. There were no special modifications or instructions needed.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I followed the setup instructions. It was pretty easy. There were no special modifications or instructions needed.
I have the app downloaded and I’ve registered and I’ve logged in and I’ve installed the device in the bronco plug and the blue light is flashing just like it should. When I open the screen for the app I get the screen pictured below and when I try to tap on the button to Set up the controller, it does nothing. The screen is just dead. I’ve deleted the app and reinstalled it and logged in again and I’ve disabled Bluetooth and reenabled it a couple of times as well.
Ford Bronco Curt Echo wireless brake controller - experiences? IMG_9547
Sponsored