SoccerM

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m debating between the canvas vs mesh open top covers. Curious to hear from others on why they chose one over the other. I’ve got a 2024 4door OBX.

My goal: I want to enjoy all three tops off while driving for the spring/summer but concerned about sun scorching the leather seats and too much sun exposure for people while driving longer distances.

My debate:

Mesh: better outdoor feeling. But builds don’t seem to be as good (wind noise etc. maybe too much sun comes in too?

Canvas: seems like better builds (quite and good fit) but will cover sun 100% so we lose the feeling of being outside and seeing the stars and blue skies.

What did you choose and why?
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll go with a solid canvas one when/if the time comes.
I have that type on my 69 Bronco and for the occasional rain storm, it will keep you mostly dry underneath it.

I'm not a sun seeker, so I don't really enjoy being in the direct sun light. It reminds me of work when I can't escape it. I suppose if I had a job as an an office dweller, I might feel differently.

Folks who enjoy the sun but want a bit of the harshness tamed seem to really enjoy the mesh versions.
If memory serves, J-Tops makes a quality bimini/bikini.
@JTopsUSA

Interesting comment about the mesh, weave types, sun blocking etc etc.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...he-bronco-bimini-sun-shade.41976/post-2175161

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the Ford Performance canvas bikini top. It fits nicely but it kind of takes away the feeling of having the top off. You can still have a conversation at highway speeds. I don’t enjoy being baked by the sun but it blocks out so much I think a mesh top would have been a better choice for me. I’ve only used it once so I probably need to use it more before I condemn it

Flying Skunks

Badlands
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just installed a JTops mesh top on my Bronco yesterday. The fit and finish is Awesome . Went for a ride last night , and at 90mph it's Awesome. No flapping or craziness like the cheaper tops . Also seams quieter than the cheaper tops . I will take a Pic and post when I get back home

Sponsored

Dlrsavannah

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bought this mesh off Amazon for a great price. It's a tight fit, cuts the sunlight down some but leaves plenty of air flow and does not flap around at high speeds. As far as a canvas goes, it totally defeats the purpose of a convertible top in my opinion. Good thing is, you don't have to take it off when putting the top back up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WYJ8C6W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&th=1

Bogeybekk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Loved my mesh top over the past 2 summers but got caught in the rain a couple of times and got soaked. Bought a new canvas one last winter and looking forward to trying it this summer. If you’re not worried about rain definitely go mesh!

Here’s the canvas one I bought: https://broncobikini.com/

Jazzcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
for what it's worth....
i had both mesh and canvas tops on my wranglers years ago, and i preferred the mesh.
it blocked the right amount of sun and seemed to have a better air flow on hot humid days.
and as David said above, once on, i never removed it to put the regular top over it.
again, that was on 1992, 97 and 2006 wranglers.
i really don't have plans on purchasing a bikini for my Bronco, but if i do, it'll probably be mesh.

OP
OP
SoccerM

SoccerM

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seems like canvas might be better for locations that rain in the summer…I live in CA and it’s a desert here once the winter and early spring wrap up.

Also seems like mesh tops are much better at overall quality (sound/Uv protection/viewing the stars) than in the past.

Sponsored

Flying Skunks

Badlands
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm here in Central Florida, and was caught in a few quick rain showers yesterday when I just had the Bimini top on , no issues , and didn't get wet . Helped that the side windows were rolled up , and we were doing about 40-45mph

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two door BL. I optioned the Ford canvas shade top. It acts like a sail and makes a lot of flapping noise. I opened the zippers to reduce the air capture. Used my points to buy the Ford mesh with horse logo. Have not installed yet, but I will bet a buck it is way quieter, plus it can be left on when the hard top is reinstalled.

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the Rough Country Mesh, it's perfect, hasn't needed adjustment since I installed it, and it's cheap. There is a logo on the top back, but I you can't see it from any angle other than above, in other words, you will never see the logo.

I got the mesh because, I love the open top feel and look, but I didn't love the direct sun on my black interior and skin. I drive with the soft top on but open.

Blu6GBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've tried Mabett's mesh Bimini top and albeit it's not 100% perfect it's not bad either. From my understanding each Bimini / Bikini has their pros and cons.

Above said, I know a lot of folks compare flapping, attach methods and side / front gaps, however those aspects aside - I am curious if the various mesh Bimini tops have different sun filtering percentages? Are all mesh Biminis the same mesh density? Has anyone noticed a thicker / better mesh for more sun shielding ?

As much as I don't love having to use velcro on the rollbar with jtop, I do wonder if they mesh density of jtop does a better job shielding sun than the likes of Mabett's version?