Capable vs modular bumper - BD

Cfield90

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco/22 Escape/01 Softail/90 Bronco (former)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I built and priced a BL from 21 to 22, I noticed the difference was about $500 less from 22 to 21. I couldn’t figure out why, and then noticed the bumper was an add. It did appear I wasn’t going get completely housed—meaning the MSRP was about $500 less without the bumper compared to 21 with.
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much better clearance ?
There's no published numbers. But if you look at both bumpers you can see the better clearance at the front tires on the modular bumper. Plus if you remove the end caps on the modular bumper and the crash bars, you have a ton.

Capable:
Ford Bronco Capable vs modular bumper - BD 2022-Bronco-Capable-Bumper-Option-scaled

Modular with end caps:
Ford Bronco Capable vs modular bumper - BD ford-bronco-front-license-plate-zoomed

Modular without end caps:

Ford Bronco Capable vs modular bumper - BD 2021-Bronco-modular-bumper-end-cap-wings-removed-Shadow-Black-Bronco

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a black diamond. Am now building a 2022 black diamond. So you mean pricing on includes 22 includes discount for bumper ?
If you placed an order by 3/19/21, OR were a reservation holder prior to 3/19/21 you are elligible for model year 2021 price protection. That means if you place the same order of Black Diamond in MY 2022 that is exactly the same as a MY 2021 order, you will get the Model year 2021 price. The MY 2021 Black Diamond included the heavy-duty modular bumper as standard equipment. The MY 2022 Black Diamond has the capable bumper as standard equipment. If you want your MY 2022 Black Diamond to have the now optional HD Modular bumper, you have to select it as an option for a MY 2022 build. Ford will provide the price adjustment at sale for the HD Modular bumper when your Bronco is delivered to you.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a black diamond. Am now building a 2022 black diamond. So you mean pricing on includes 22 includes discount for bumper ?
Yeh here is the Chart

Ford Bronco Capable vs modular bumper - BD 21638906-F43F-4138-8A58-7C4F18B12FAD

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeh here is the Chart

Ford Bronco Capable vs modular bumper - BD 21638906-F43F-4138-8A58-7C4F18B12FAD
so to clarify: I had a 21 BD on order since Feb. I was pushed to ’22, and was lucky to get a Dec. 20 build date for my 2022. I did NOT upgrade to the modular bumper, does this simply mean I get $825 off, or are you saying I would get $825 off AND a free modular bumper upgrade?

Sponsored

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
so to clarify: I had a 21 BD on order since Feb. I was pushed to ’22, and was lucky to get a Dec. 20 build date for my 2022. I did NOT upgrade to the modular bumper, does this simply mean I get $825 off, or are you saying I would get $825 off AND a free modular bumper upgrade?
You get ~$500 off. The base price of the BD went up ~$300. If you want to upgrade the bumper to what it was, that costs ~$500 so you'll be even Steven.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You get ~$500 off. The base price of the BD went up ~$300. If you want to upgrade the bumper to what it was, that costs ~$500 so you'll be even Steven.
If I don’t upgrade the bumper, shouldn’t I get $825 off? That’s protecting the price increase of the trim AND the loss of the modular bumper...right?

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I don’t upgrade the bumper, shouldn’t I get $825 off? That’s protecting the price increase of the trim AND the loss of the modular bumper...right?
Now I’m confused

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now I’m confused

Yes me too. I got a VIN the other day and I’m expecting $825 off my price….now I’m confused.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish the capable bumper was available for 21. I would have put it on MY OBX. Wonder what cost would be from parts counter.

Sponsored

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You'll always get $825 off. The question is how much will your BD MSRP go up, $250 or $825.

Price protection means that if you order the exact same thing you had ordered in 21, you'll pay the exact same '21s MSRP. Ford raised the price a few hundred across the board which is what you see for the Big Bend. If you bought a Big Bend, your MSRP is now $400 more but when you go to pay, you'll get a $400 credit. On the Black Diamond and Badlands, the price increased but they also removed the modular bumper from the default configuration. If you order the exact same bronco in '22 as you had ordered in '21, your MSRP will go up ~$900 because you now have to pay for the modular bumper upgrade. In '21 my build sheet included the modular bumper for $0. In '22, it is listed at $575. That's why the BD price protection rebate is so much higher than other trims. However, if you choose to not upgrade to the modular bumper, you still get the full rebate amount so in effect, you'll actually get a $575 dollar discount.

TLDR: You can pick:
same bronco - same price
or
downgrade the bumper - save $575.
or
pick a whole new trim - save $825 off the new MSRP

*edit - few changes for clarity

Last edited:
OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How strong are the hooks on the new capable bumper ?

JenB

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep LJ, 2021 4DR Badlands, 2023 DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m about to order my MY22 DR Badlands manual non-squatch, but I also am confused. With the modular bumper can I add after market fog lights? I am not hard core rock crawler, mostly logging roads around here.

JimiRads

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond, MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Where can I find that in standard equipment for BD?
If you click on the "View Details" on the Choose Your Model page, you will get some more info on standard equipment.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m about to order my MY22 DR Badlands manual non-squatch, but I also am confused. With the modular bumper can I add after market fog lights? I am not hard core rock crawler, mostly logging roads around here.
Yes, there are aftermarket lights available for the modular bumper. Do some internet searches and some should come up. Off the top of my head I think Baja Designs has some.

For other posters, any questions on price protection can be answered via the FAQs on Ford’s website. There was also a link provided in one of the Ford emails sent to order holders a while back.
Sponsored