Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re carrying something longer than cargo area, what would you do with the gate? I imagine it needs to get locked down somehow?
Not necessarily sticking out the tailgate, but something long enough to need the interior space between the front seats and tailgate. Without the tray there is a 4" rise from the rear seats being folded down. The tray levels that space.
Sponsored

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tailgate, coupled with the swing away door will create an amazing food prep area where you don't have to lean over so far, and it's flatter.

Couple it with something like this and you've got a winner:

Ford Bronco "Cargo Tray" Re-imagined as a drawer 1595962340566

This guy did a makeshift table which our tailgate will suffice:

Ford Bronco "Cargo Tray" Re-imagined as a drawer 1595962451284

A few more:

Ford Bronco "Cargo Tray" Re-imagined as a drawer 1595962483788

Ford Bronco "Cargo Tray" Re-imagined as a drawer 1595962507282

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a shelf that goes into the sun visor mounts and then the sun visors reattaches under it. I know the bronco retains the visors with the top off, but it doesn't look like a similar shelf will be feasible to store a firearm on with the aux switches and lights in the center. I haven't found an alternate solution yet that's as easy as it is to get to from the driver's seat.
I have seen several magnet options online and wondered how well it would work. SaberSouth is an example. Put the magnet under the dash and away you go.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love the examples of people needing and using a "tailgate". Aside from the very practical, I think its also homage to the EB roots - it even has the FORD letters on the right side... Now, if it just had a cool flip down license plate holder...

Dro

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not necessarily sticking out the tailgate, but something long enough to need the interior space between the front seats and tailgate. Without the tray there is a 4" rise from the rear seats being folded down. The tray levels that space.
Is it all possible to drive with the tray out and gate open, in the event I need to travel with something long enough where I would need the tray for support? The gate would obviously have to be even with the side of the Bronco...

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it all possible to drive with the tray out and gate open, in the event I need to travel with something long enough where I would need the tray for support? The gate would obviously have to be even with the side of the Bronco...
No idea. I'd hope there is a locking mechanism on the gate but even if there is, is it strong enough to use while driving? If not you could tie a strap from the latch on the gate to the catch on the body (angle across).

Dirt

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have seen several magnet options online and wondered how well it would work. SaberSouth is an example. Put the magnet under the dash and away you go.
Never seen that before. Honestly I'm glad you showed me, I'm probably going to pick up a set and see how they work to display at the office. I use a lever action with pretty hot 45lc I reload to deal with hogs, it's short but still pretty heavy...not sure if I'd trust a magnet if you're hitting ruts and all that. We'll see what someone comes up with in a few years for the Bronco, I'm sure someone will get creative.

Dro

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No idea. I'd hope there is a locking mechanism on the gate but even if there is, is it strong enough to use while driving? If not you could tie a strap from the latch on the gate to the catch on the body (angle across).
True, let’s hope. Thanks dude!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tailgate, coupled with the swing away door will create an amazing food prep area where you don't have to lean over so far, and it's flatter.

Couple it with something like this and you've got a winner:

This guy did a makeshift table which our tailgate will suffice:

A few more:

All of this is whats up.

I also wont have any problem carry longer things out the back. Just put a strap in the swing gate. Alot of the better trays have locking tabs on them and if not they are easy to install.

jmalinov

First Edition
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer, 2018 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

back ur bronco up to a lake and sit out over the edge of the water like a makeshift pier

Sponsored

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not seen a photo of the 2 door with the tray yet. Considering the limited space behind the seats, I have to imagine it is not the same part as the 4 door.

All of that considered, not much "drawer" with 4 inches to work with. Still, I would take a custom AR drawer. It would keep me from having to use a rifle sheath behind the front seats.
AR drawer was exactly what I was thinking as well. Wouldn't think that would take much depth at all.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like the tray idea. One thing I would like to see is a MOLLE panel for the tailgate. I had one on my JK and it was a great space to store bags that I had my jumper cables, tow strap, gloves, bungie cords, and med kit on. And it did not eat up any space.
That's a good idea. I'd have to imagine there will be accessories for the swing gate.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never seen that before. Honestly I'm glad you showed me, I'm probably going to pick up a set and see how they work to display at the office. I use a lever action with pretty hot 45lc I reload to deal with hogs, it's short but still pretty heavy...not sure if I'd trust a magnet if you're hitting ruts and all that. We'll see what someone comes up with in a few years for the Bronco, I'm sure someone will get creative.
Those Neodymium Magnets are really strong. You can find some videos on youtube showing how strong they are. Guy stuck one under his pickup on the frame then stuck a Glock under there and did some offroading. had a Gopro filming it. Spare tire bumped into the Glock several times but it held. Impressive. There is a Stinger branded one with a trigger guard on amazon that looks good as well.
Sponsored