First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let's talk tie-rods! One of the prominent issues among early adopters is the Bronco’s steering. When adding larger-than-stock rubber, it became commonplace to carry extra tie-rods for when the factory unit snapped while out exploring. Our Engineers went to work on a bullet-proof solution!
CS-BRS-21.1 - Forum.jpg

Tie Rod
The Tie-Rod itself is machined from heat-treated 4140, then protected with the same moly coating found on our legendary (Ram) ball joints. The heart of the Inner Tie-Rod assembly is a ball joint with machined grease-grooves and a drilled port through to the zerk fitting hole for easy greasing. The Grease-Port is drilled pre-boot ensuring the tie-rod remains protected and greasing the wear surfaces is quick and convenient.

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Tie Rod.jpg

Inner Tie-Rod Assembly
The Inner Tie Rod Assembly is simple, extremely strong and fully adjustable/rebuildable. The Tie-Rod is encapsulated with Bronze wear surfaces on both sides. The coating on the tie-rod, being moly-based, mixes with the redline CV2 grease to provide the perfect lubricant to polish the 4140 to the bronze races. If and when you achieve measurable movement, tighten the cap to remove the slack! This whole assembly is protected by the provided boot.

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Inner Tie-Rod Blowout with all parts.jpg

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Inner Tie-Rod Parts.jpg
CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Inner Tie Rod Connection With Race.jpg

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Inner Tie Rod Connection With Race and Rod(1).jpg
CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Inner Tie Rod Connection With Race and Rod and outer Race.jpg
CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Inner Tie Rod Connection With Race and Rod and outer Race and Cap.jpg

Outer Tie-Rod Assembly
On the other end, you’ll find the outer Tie-Rod machined from a solid chunk of 6061 Billet Aluminum. This rod-end is treated to a hard-anodized coating for longevity. We’ve added a billet machined bracket to provide double-shear support to the outer tie-rod end connection. The two lateral bolts secure in place of the upper two hub bolts providing unparalleled support while the the outer tie-rod is spaced between this bracket and the knuckle by the provided 17-4 Stainless Steel misalignment spacers to maximize the travel range of the system.

CS-BRS-21.6.jpg

CS-BRS-21.5.jpg
CS-BRS-21.7.jpg
CS-BRS-21.3.jpg

The outer tie-rod end attaches to the threaded tie-rod via the machined threads and secures in place (and adjusts toe alignment) via the 2 pinch bolts. The pinch bolt hardware is 12-point and threads into (replaceable) press-fit steel inserts to ensure maximum strength relative to small diameter aluminum threads.

The bearing assembly is made up of our CUB (Captured Urethane Bearing) joint. At the center, a 3/4″ Teflon Lined FK bearing which we encapsulate with our propriety races to dampen vibrations while extending the life of the heim. This assembly is preloaded into the housing and retained under-tension with a safety washer and snap-ring.

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Outer Tie Rod Blowout - Vert.jpg

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco 12-Points.jpg

CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Caliper Bracket.jpg
CS-BSTR-21 - Bronco Caliper Bracket (2).jpg

steering.png

CS-BRS-21.2 - Forum.jpg
It’s a good solution, but high maintenance!

Forgot to mention the constant need for greasing at every oil change plus rebuild it at every 32,000 miles. I have been eyeing this product for quite some time and these are the reasons why I am still not sold on it.

One thing to consider, this Bronco is fully loaded with a bunch of goodies. A lot has been upgraded and dialed in to be as capable as it is. Like it was said in this thread, for those with lift running OEM rack and axle just upgrading the steering tie rod may stress the rack or other components.

I would be interested to hear feedback from end-users, as manufacturers will always say their setup is better.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carli-Dan

Carli-Dan

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s a good solution, but high maintenance!

Forgot to mention the constant need for greasing at every oil change plus rebuild it at every 32,000 miles. I have been eyeing this product for quite some time and these are the reasons why I am still not sold on it.

One thing to consider, this Bronco is fully loaded with a bunch of goodies. A lot has been upgraded and dialed in to be as capable as it is. Like it was said in this thread, for those running OEM rack and axle just upgrading the steering tie rod may stress the rack or other components.

I would be interested to hear feedback from end-users, as manufacturers will always say their setup is better.
The knuckle end is rebuildable but there's no maintenance to that side. The rack side is rebuildable and greasable; only thing you need to do is grease the zerk every now and then - very low maintenance setup. We've beat the heck out of ours and haven't had to touch anything. As a precaution, we've been greasing it but there's been no audible noise or indication it was required.

Ours allows more misalignment than the factory tie-rod end; it will allow for more travel. That said, you don't need to take advantage of this benefit. It will work with the stock setup perfectly fine. This effectively strengthens from the rack to the knuckle to eliminate the tie-rod as a failure point.

It takes substantially more to make a stock rack fail than a stock tie-rod; i doubt this would be a concern for those in non-lifted situations as the larger tires and extended travel seem to be the root cause of most steering failures I've seen; neither are present on a stock height Bronco.

As for user feedback, @Destination Bigfoot Bronc just posted his before yours.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can't wait to get my hands on this and 74 Weld stage 2 rack!

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Running your Double shear and Torsion bar setup on stage 8 Icon setup for over a month now. Never going back to anything else. Hoss 2.0 w/ Broncbuster stage 3 rack. RCV's and Broncbuster intermediate shaft tube are next on the agenda.

fotor_1704481000267.png

fotor_1708123953355.png
I spy Gatekeeper

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They asked me to be their mock-up way back. I’m too far away so it didn’t work out. Just got my set though and will be touting it up soon if I like it
Ya'll have a secret handshake also? Fess up what are you talking about? lol.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm assuming the knuckle light mount...
Im totaling derailing this thread for Carli now which I don’t wanna keep doing because they have an awesome setup. So long story short, google Gatekeeper Off-road and check out their knuckle mount;) Small company in the sierras that makes the worlds most interesting light mount

Last edited:

Sponsored

Destination Bigfoot Bronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Limited, 2022 Bronco OBX Cyber Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The knuckle end is rebuildable but there's no maintenance to that side. The rack side is rebuildable and greasable; only thing you need to do is grease the zerk every now and then - very low maintenance setup. We've beat the heck out of ours and haven't had to touch anything. As a precaution, we've been greasing it but there's been no audible noise or indication it was required.

Ours allows more misalignment than the factory tie-rod end; it will allow for more travel. That said, you don't need to take advantage of this benefit. It will work with the stock setup perfectly fine. This effectively strengthens from the rack to the knuckle to eliminate the tie-rod as a failure point.

It takes substantially more to make a stock rack fail than a stock tie-rod; i doubt this would be a concern for those in non-lifted situations as the larger tires and extended travel seem to be the root cause of most steering failures I've seen; neither are present on a stock height Bronco.

DM sent

Audiomate

Badlands
First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Got it. And yes, stock Broncos are fine. In my case though it is a concern since mine is lifted.

How long can one run with your steering tie rod system until they have to rebuild the knuckles and rack side? Can you confirm the miles I got are correct?

Besides this steering system, what else would you recommend as bare minimum that a lifted Bronco will have to do to avoid breaking the rack when overloading or doing mild rock crawling?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I also sent a DM, but @Carli-Dan if you need a local Braptor for development of this I'm keen! Braptor is HOSS 3.0, but knuckles are different than non Raptor Bronco - pretty sure they are straight off the F-150 Raptor.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta agree, looks slick.
If I wasn't in the Northeast salt brine belt I'd be pulling the trigger but that exposed ball joint probably wouldn't last a winter.
Sponsored