Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Forte, '96 Impala, '64 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Base
UPR’s catch can is what I have.

I’m not particularly loyal to UPR, and I haven’t used one long term, so I can’t really provide a ”stamp of approval”. But the reason why I bought it is because the catch can mounts up front near the battery, which makes maintenance easy when you go to empty the catch can. UPR also used factory-style quick-connect fittings rather than barb/hose clamp fittings.

Mishimoto probably makes the most popular catch cans on the market, but their kit for the 2.3L Bronco has the catch can mounted way back by the firewall.
thanks for the link and detailed info, did you also purchase the addons as well?
--replacement o-rings?
--drain line kit?
--ss magnetic drain plug?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks for the link and detailed info, did you also purchase the addons as well?
--replacement o-rings?
--drain line kit?
--ss magnetic drain plug?
I got replacement o-rings. That’s it.

The drain line kit may be a valuable add-on. The magnetic drain plug, in my opinion, is not. If you got metal in your catch can you got bigger and much more expensive issues to worry about.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got replacement o-rings. That’s it.

If you got metal in your catch can you got bigger and much more expensive issues to worry about.
haha. the only time i can imagine you'd ever see metal in a catch can is when you recover it from the side of the road after a terminally explosive event.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7L is stupid simple. PCV value is under the purple connector in the diagram below., sits right on top of the engine.
1664985115602.png
Looking at the 2.7 PCV pipe schematic more, it's three times as long as needed and the only reason I can think of for why they didn't just go straight across is that these are not bespoke parts and are instead from the parts bin, already designed, approved and ready for economies of scale.

you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Eljohno

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For what its worth, which is not much.

If you really feel the need to add one, you're better off adding an air oil separator AOS. No maintenance.

But I personally think in most, the Bronco included, situations, you're probably not extending the life of your engine or preventing any significant amount of buildup. Especially with the 2.7.

People love showing the can with 'oil' in it, but how much of that is water from condensation ?

With that said, in the past there have been cars/ trucks that benefited from catch cans, but engineers have been eliminating the need.

At least that's been my findings based on a bunch of internet research over the last few years.

And with all that said, with the 2.7 its a hard pass for me, I'd still might pass on the 2.3, but I wouldn't own one anyway - personal preference and my need to burn up dinosaurs.

The only damage it will do is to your wallet, but they're cheap so who cares. I agree cheap insurance, but I also believe it's mostly hype.
The picture of the bottle that I started this thread with was new,no moisture in it. What I poured into it from the catch can was all oil, no water floating on the top. Now I will admit an 1/8 OZ in 3,000 miles is not going to hurt anything, but over 50,000+ miles, I think it's worth putting a catch can on.

Sponsored

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The picture of the bottle that I started this thread with was new,no moisture in it. What I poured into it from the catch can was all oil, no water floating on the top. Now I will admit an 1/8 OZ in 3,000 miles is not going to hurt anything, but over 50,000+ miles, I think it's worth putting a catch can on.
Understood and I get it
I won't debate it, I'm not an engineer but I will side on my over 35 years of driving experience and having put 100,000 and even 200,000 miles on cars, plus the research I've done, I honestly don't think it matters.
But that's been my experience and I realize others have had different experiences, which is why I won't fault anyone for adding one. It's not going to hurt anything.
Now if the Bronco or any other vehicle has known issues, I'd put one on in a heartbeat.

But if I did, it would be an AOS, because I don't need another job. 😁

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For what its worth, which is not much.

If you really feel the need to add one, you're better off adding an air oil separator AOS. No maintenance.

But I personally think in most, the Bronco included, situations, you're probably not extending the life of your engine or preventing any significant amount of buildup. Especially with the 2.7.

People love showing the can with 'oil' in it, but how much of that is water from condensation ?

With that said, in the past there have been cars/ trucks that benefited from catch cans, but engineers have been eliminating the need.

At least that's been my findings based on a bunch of internet research over the last few years.

And with all that said, with the 2.7 its a hard pass for me, I'd still might pass on the 2.3, but I wouldn't own one anyway - personal preference and my need to burn up dinosaurs.

The only damage it will do is to your wallet, but they're cheap so who cares. I agree cheap insurance, but I also believe it's mostly hype.
Not true that it won't cause any damage but to your wallet. Our parts manager had one on his 3.5 f150. He lost the first engine at 72k miles. It dumped all the oil out in the catch can. We replaced the engine and it pushed all the oil out and blew the engine up in 300 miles. Replaced engine again and threw catch can in the trash no problem since so they can go bad and cause issues.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Understood and I get it
I won't debate it, I'm not an engineer but I will side on my over 35 years of driving experience and having put 100,000 and even 200,000 miles on cars, plus the research I've done, I honestly don't think it matters.
But that's been my experience and I realize others have had different experiences, which is why I won't fault anyone for adding one. It's not going to hurt anything.
Now if the Bronco or any other vehicle has known issues, I'd put one on in a heartbeat.

But if I did, it would be an AOS, because I don't need another job. 😁
The PCV on the 3V and Coyote Mustang engines puts the passenger side PCV return right in front of the throttle body, which ends up coating the throttle body blade in gunk. The passenger side is the one that gets the most attention, as the driver's side is relatively benign.

On the 2.7L, the passenger side is behind the throttle body, whereas the driver's side is in front. I'm a big believer in catch cans for high RPM engines, and have one on my Coyote. I feel the same way about the 2.7L, given that it's forced induction, but I'm not sure whether the driver's side or passenger side is the "right" side to get a catch can.

Opinion based on what I've seen throughout the years as part of the Mustang community.

Not true that it won't cause any damage but to your wallet. Our parts manager had one on his 3.5 f150. He lost the first engine at 72k miles. It dumped all the oil out in the catch can. We replaced the engine and it pushed all the oil out and blew the engine up in 300 miles. Replaced engine again and threw catch can in the trash no problem since so they can go bad and cause issues.
There's literally zero way that this can happen. The catch can doesn't siphon and can't suction oil from the crankcase. Catch cans connect to the PCV, which is above the mechanical parts inside the head. This isn't a pump, and only operates based on a slight vacuum. If the valve at the bottom of the catch can was left open, you'd just have a vacuum leak and spray a light oil mist in your engine bay.

JR

Last edited:

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The PCV on the 3V and Coyote Mustang engines puts the passenger side PCV return right in front of the throttle body, which ends up coating the throttle body blade in gunk. The passenger side is the one that gets the most attention, as the driver's side is relatively benign.

On the 2.7L, the passenger side is behind the throttle body, whereas the driver's side is in front. I'm a big believer in catch cans for high RPM engines, and have one on my Coyote. I feel the same way about the 2.7L, given that it's forced induction, but I'm not sure whether the driver's side or passenger side is the "right" side to get a catch can.

Opinion based on what I've seen throughout the years as part of the Mustang community.

There's literally zero way that this can happen. The catch can doesn't siphon and can't suction oil from the crankcase. Catch cans connect to the PCV, which is above the mechanical parts inside the head. This isn't a pump, and only operates based on a slight vacuum. If the valve at the bottom of the catch can was left open, you'd just have a vacuum leak and spray a light oil mist in your engine bay.

JR
Well it can because it did on 2 engines. Started to lose oil on the 3rd until it was removed no problem since.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well it can because it did on 2 engines. Started to lose oil on the 3rd until it was removed no problem since.
Yeah, but that's not how they work, unless someone stuck a hose all the way down into the crankcase.

I'm sorry, but anecdotes don't trump the laws of physics.

JR

Sponsored

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, but that's not how they work, unless someone stuck a hose all the way down into the crankcase.

JR
Sorry but it happened cant explain it but it did happen. I've been a technician for 35 years. Ford senior master technician for 19. Saw it with my own eye not by hear say.

OP
OP
Eljohno

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did your parts manager have a catch can or an air oil separator on his F-150 that kept dumping the oil?

OP
OP
Eljohno

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

JR
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem was but only vapors enter the PVC system, so no way to suck all the oil out of crankcase. Doesn't sound legit!

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Put mine recently from J&L. Super easy. If you're nervous about warranty or state inspections, it literally takes less than 2 minutes to remove (just keep the stock tubing to pop back on.

Sponsored