Sponsored

Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) to air up and air down?

SD_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hetal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner (Sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So coming back from KOH, we had to deflate my friends Jeep’s tires when we hit the off-road trails. And what a difference in ride quality it made! And then at the end of the trail, some 20 miles later we had to pull over and inflate the tires up again and that seems to take forever. I remembered that H1’s had this awesome tech where they used to inflate and deflate from the cabin. So I looked it up and they are called CTIS.
Any of the pro/seasoned off roaders know if there’s an aftermarket system for this?
Would be cool if the goat modes incorporated tire inflation/deflation as well. And then bonus points integrate into the trails app so the car knows deflation and inflation points.

Let me know if there are systems on the market or DIY’s you’ve done. also feel free to tell me I’m crazy and that this is dumb but you gotta tell me why😂.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Similar to portal hubs, they are expensive and time consuming to keep the systems working right over the long term.

Honestly that’s why a lot of cool tech never makes it to vehicles because customers expect the products they buy to not have issues and for some products that’s nearly impossible. A leak means you have two flat tires and the spare isn’t going to help that.

OP
OP
SD_Bronco

SD_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hetal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner (Sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Similar to portal hubs, they are expensive and time consuming to keep the systems working right over the long term.

Honestly that’s why a lot of cool tech never makes it to vehicles because customers expect the products they buy to not have issues and for some products that’s nearly impossible. A leak means you have two flat tires and the spare isn’t going to help that.
Thanks for that insight. I didn’t know they were not reliable.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the Mercedes g wagons have it too. Always wanted it but was always prohibitively expensive to do aftermarket.

Sponsored

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Though I plan to add portals someday and install CTIS on them, there are ways to do it without portals. If you look at the large expedition vehicles in Iceland they all have CTIS by routing the braided hose to the outside of the wheel. Looks silly, and would obviously be a problem in the woods and rocks where it could snag, but if you spend all day in the desert/sand then maybe you could do that. I personally wouldn't do it that way.

Edit: Added photos, I am actually surprised at the lack of pictures online. I went to iceland in 2018 and I swear EVERY balloon tire rig had external CTIS like this.

Ford Bronco Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) to air up and air down? 1612979149565

Ford Bronco Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) to air up and air down? 1612979255261

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A drastically easier solution will be to get an ARB compressor (hint: these are in the Ford accessory catalog, pick the one that best suits your needs) and mount it in the engine bay. You can easily connect this to the overhead switch and you've got quick and easy air access for airing up your tires!

We will surely get a mounting bracket solution for the Bronco. There is tons of room in the engine bay with the 2.3 engine, not sure what will be available with the 2.7, but assume they have factored this in.

https://trail4runner.com/2019/10/10...pressor-mounting-bracket-for-5th-gen-4runner/

Ford Bronco Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) to air up and air down? arb_twin_compressor_install_64[1]

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
A drastically easier solution will be to get an ARB compressor (hint: these are in the Ford accessory catalog, pick the one that best suits your needs) and mount it in the engine bay. You can easily connect this to the overhead switch and you've got quick and easy air access for airing up your tires!

We will surely get a mounting bracket solution for the Bronco. There is tons of room in the engine bay with the 2.3 engine, not sure what will be available with the 2.7, but assume they have factored this in.

https://trail4runner.com/2019/10/10...pressor-mounting-bracket-for-5th-gen-4runner/

Ford Bronco Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) to air up and air down? arb_twin_compressor_install_64[1]
My buddy ran a brilliant system on his land cruiser with the Vaiar version of this. Has a supply hose quick-connect fitting mounted in the bumper. flips a switch, plugs in a quick connect hose with a gauge and airs up in minutes.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My buddy ran a brilliant system on his land cruiser with the Vaiar version of this. Has a supply hose quick-connect fitting mounted in the bumper. flips a switch, plugs in a quick connect hose with a gauge and airs up in minutes.
I intend to run my bumpers into large objects :ROFLMAO:

Having a 15' coiled air hose that uses the quick connect right on the ARB compressor will work just dandy.

FWIW, I should have posted this picture in the previous post as it has the quick-connect attached and in it's final assembled state:

OP
OP
SD_Bronco

SD_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hetal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner (Sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yup this seems like the ideal solution! Thanks. Didn’t know these were in the catalogue. Will have to go look at it again. Thanks!

OP
OP
SD_Bronco

SD_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hetal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner (Sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While it is not a CTIS, I ran across this system a few months ago and will probably try building one myself.
UpDownAir
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, so ARB dual compressors and the updownair kit. This whole bronco business.....
I4HuYul.jpg

ially-recover-from-this-joe-exotic-tiger-king-meme.jpg

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
ViAir have been a major player in compressors for air-ride suspension in hot-rods and custom vehicles for decades. You can't go wrong with their products as well. Just be sure you choose the "line" of their products that suits your needs best. They also make some really small home-gamer types stuff for inflating pool toys or small objects, then all the way up to commercial use.
Sponsored