First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Scheduling a ceramic coating and PPF appointment and wondering if anyone has ceramic coated the MIC top. Can it take a buffer and how does it accept the ceramic coating? Any issues doing that? Guessing Ford would say it’s not warrantied if you had an issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What’s the manufacturing date on your top? Seems like most I’m seeing having issues are pre-Aug 2022. If I had one of those early hard tops I’ve be hesitant to do anything to it as I’d want it warrantied should it start cracking. Replacements (if you can find one) are $$$.
On a side note I guess I don’t see the point anyway.. unless you’re changing the color then why pay to just ceramic/PPF it to “protect” it when it’s covered under warranty? Is that just for the long game? Just tying to understand

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't know that you can "ceramic" the top. From what I understand "ceramic" coating is a very thorough cleaning and buffing process for paint producing a super shine.

Can you use 303 protectant on the top to keep it from fading?

OP
OP
nhmountainman

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ceramic coating is just that…glass-like finish. Last ceramic coating company I used coated my aluminum bed cover on my truck. It came out great. Not changing a color or PPF. It also costs more the more surface area you have to apply ceramic to. Maybe someone that’s coated the MIC can chime in…good or bad?

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did a quick Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic coating on my MIC top when I took delivery on 2/2/23. I’ve had great luck with this product on my boats and I’m guessing it will last at least a year on my MIC top that is garaged most of the time. Mine goes in this morning for full PPF so I’ll ask the installer for his opinions on coating the top as they offer professional ceramic/graphene installation as well as DIY ceramic coatings.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I thought about it, but decided since its early in the warranty to just use 303.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have done my own ceramic for a few years now. I would not buff the top. Clean it and clay would be the extent I would go. The surface finish is not like a traditionally painted surface that needs paint correction.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why? IMO Ceramic coating your MIC top is like ceramic coating your sidewalk. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it should. At the end of the day, of course, it's your money and you should be able to blow it how ever you see fit.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think most people have to worry about the top and doing anything with it- if you live in the mid to northern states where the sun is "normal". It's the people that live in areas where the sun is intense and will burn paint that need to worry. My Bronco is garaged half the time although does sit outside in the intense So Fl sun the other half. I choose white for the body color and keep it waxed so that helps reflect the sun. I put 303 protectant on the fender flares and plastic bumpers on the front and back which helps a lot. But the top not sure what to do. It's dark, gets pretty hot and will start to fade in the intense sun so it will be interesting to read additional responses to know that to do.

Sponsored

Bad Andy

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 335I Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m interested in doing it for to make washing the car easier. Not looking to add gloss. I may try a DIY option when I get my Bronco.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Scheduling a ceramic coating and PPF appointment and wondering if anyone has ceramic coated the MIC top. Can it take a buffer and how does it accept the ceramic coating? Any issues doing that? Guessing Ford would say it’s not warrantied if you had an issue.
Not sure which product or company your dealer is going with, but mine stated they would not be doing anything to the hardtop or any other piece made of plastic. Just the paint and steel wheels.

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just had mine ceramic coated last week and he did the top and flares along with the paint. I live in Houston so we get lots of rain and he said the hydrophobic qualities will help the whole thing stay cleaner.

Any additional protection from the sun is also an extra perk, but the Bronco got the garage spot so I'm not too worried about that in the immediate future.

JD11937

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ceramic coated my top. If you are doing it yourself I recommend testing a small area first and leaving it for a bit to make sure it doesn't effect the coloring. Mine looked great at first but aft a rainy day the plastic looked old and tired. Luckily this has since gone away but it freaked me out at first. The plastic also seemed so soak up a lot of the coating, something to keep in mind. I did not clay the plastic before applying, just a wash and wipe down with surface prep. Was worth the time and effort for a little extra piece of mind and after a year I'm still happy with the decision.

HalfCab

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door and 4 Door Wildtrak, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I ceramic coated mine myself. Super easy doing the top as you don't need to perform paint correction on the mic top. No clay bar or polishing needed - give it a good wash, use some surface prep (dilututed alcohol) and apply the ceramic. I used Gtechniq Crystal Serum light on the entire vehicle including flares and bumpers.
Ford Bronco Ceramic Coat MIC Top? newblue - Copy
Sponsored

Last edited: