Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey Friends!

Just putting this out there for constructive thoughts on any side of the argument. I have been looking around at the various ceramic coatings, processes, applications, etc for a couple of months now. I have a friend who has a mobile detailing business that recommends ceramic coating whole heartedly, but I have not been able to get pricing from him as it is his side hustle.

There is a provider in town that has a package that seems appealing, but I am thinking of cleaning, claying, paint correcting and applying a system myself, as well. The provider had availability to schedule a call via social media and I was curious, so I figured I would hear what they have to say. I have included a little snippet from their website below. They seem to run a tight ship and have a brick and mortar location here in SE VA that has a very high rating on Google - whether that is real or manufactured is yet to be determined...

Ford Bronco CERAMIC COATING - Professional or Self Application 1664983489398

Here is the offer from the local processional detailer:
  • 9-Year Warranty on Ceramic Coating application with wash, clay, paint correction, polishing and ceramic application.
  • The service gets registered with CARFAX (claiming it will add value to the vehicle).
  • Includes all painted panels of the vehicle, headlights, windows, hard top, wheels and tires.
  • Any installed or repaired parts can be recoated during that 9 years for free
  • "VIP" club includes $50 interior and $50 exterior details during that 9 year period (usually $150 ea)
They quoted a 25% off price of $1776 for the Bronco - I also have a 4runner that I would consider having done. The second vehicle gets same as above for $1476 ($300 multi-vehicle discount).

I would love to hear all opinions as I consider this!
Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did my own. Cant tell you how long it will last yet. But it was less then 300 for everything and to this point is great. Time will tell. I have a friend who runs a professional ceramic coating shop who recommended the products I used. It ceretainly wont last as long as a pro application but should last 3 years at least. Took me about 6 hours over a two day weekend to do. Biggest cost you are paying for is paint correction which is labor but my friend looked at mine and said there wasnt much to do on it. Vehicle was made 1 month earlier from time I did coating.

OP
OP
DCtoobs42

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did my own. Cant tell you how long it will last yet. But it was less then 300 for everything and to this point is great. Time will tell. I have a friend who runs a professional ceramic coating shop who recommended the products I used. It ceretainly wont last as long as a pro application but should last 3 years at least. Took me about 6 hours over a two day weekend to do.
That's a good benchmark for comparison, thanks.

Which line of products did you use?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There are a few threads on the topic of ceramic/wax in general so I suggest using the search engine. (Also search keyword "zaino", it's what "ceramic" was before they put brick powder in the product just so it can screw up your paint)

And at that price it makes no sense to me personally, unless I was drunk and wanted to burn through cash like a well-oiled cash burning machine.

Just do Zaino yourself and it will cost you $150 in materials. Unfortunately you can't harm your paint with Zaino, so no shop in its right mind would offer it, how else will they bilk you out of $2K????

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did my own. Cant tell you how long it will last yet. But it was less then 300 for everything and to this point is great. Time will tell. I have a friend who runs a professional ceramic coating shop who recommended the products I used. It ceretainly wont last as long as a pro application but should last 3 years at least. Took me about 6 hours over a two day weekend to do. Biggest cost you are paying for is paint correction which is labor but my friend looked at mine and said there wasnt much to do on it. Vehicle was made 1 month earlier from time I did coating.

What's paint correction ? Blemishes from the factory ?

Sponsored

KKCSHIPP

Base
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just finished using the Adams Ceramic Coating on Saturday. Did it myself after watching multiple videos on YouTube. Took the entire day from start to finish. If you can follow instructions and have at least two arms and hands you can do it.

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're able to do some research on your own and set aside a weekend to do this yourself, then I would definitely recommend doing that and saving yourself $1k+. You won't need to do a full paint correction if you don't have many swirl marks or if you're okay with the condition the paint is currently in.

Most important part is that you prep the surface correctly and use a good quality ceramic coat like CQuartz instead of going for some of the cheaper options that can be found online.

You could also try something more beginner friendly like Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax as it can easily last over a year (there's a YouTube video somewhere of a guy testing out like 20+ sealants on a car's hood and it was one of the last ones standing). The first coating of the Meguiar's required you to apply it to the car by hand, but after that you can just spray it onto the car and spray it off with a pressure washer/hose and it will extend the life of it.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's paint correction ? Blemishes from the factory ?
Removing swirls and scratches with polishing compound. Some are probably factory, some from scrubbing the body while washing and others from life.

musicman

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just completed my diy ceramic coating today. I used chemical guys carbon force and it was really easy. I clayed and polished areas that needed it. Super easy and cheap. They say it lasts 5 years, but if I get 2-3 out of it, I’m good.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Removing swirls and scratches with polishing compound. Some are probably factory, some from scrubbing the body while washing and others from life.

Thanks, my plan is to ceramic coat it as soon as possible after taking delivery. I got no issue DIY'ing it. Just need to find a whole day to knock it out.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used the DIY coating (Avalon King) on a car I owed, a year and a half after the application (sold it to Carvana for a hefty profit), water still beaded up as the day the coating was applied. Washing was super easy with an electric power washer I have. Dirt just rolled out. My only regret was not doing the wheels which looked much dirtier than the rest of the car after a drive.
It took me a day for paint correction, as I bought the car used. The Bronco should be an easy vehicle to work on, mostly flat panels and no roof to coat.
This was the last time I washed it before selling it:
Ford Bronco CERAMIC COATING - Professional or Self Application WhatsApp Image 2022-10-05 at 12.32.39 PM

Ford Bronco CERAMIC COATING - Professional or Self Application WhatsApp Image 2022-10-05 at 12.33.04 PM

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had my car professionally ceramic coated by a very reputable place in South Florida for $800. Your quote is way too high. Consider other quotes before making a decision.

burntomaro

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seems like a huge waste of money to me. I would much rather put that toward something awesome. I’ll end up doing one of the kits for a fraction of the cost.

holo37

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a two door and did it in one day. I used chemical guys kit ($150) which has the clean slate wash which I actually did twice to make sure there were zero contaminants. Once my bronco was completely dry I did the actual ceramic in the garage out of the sun. I used less than half the actual ceramic so in a year or so I can do another application if I start to see that it is degrading. I am extremely happy with it. Nothing sticks to the paint and I get complimented all the time. Actually hard to wash it as the suds just slide off it when I use the spray wand. I was a novice with zero experience except the videos on their website.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/carbon-force-basic-ceramic-kit/VIR385.html?gtmListValue=Internal Search

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have the skill and ability to do the prep yourself -- you said "cleaning, claying, paint correcting and applying a system myself" -- then you should all means apply the coating as well. I did this a few weeks ago using Carpro CQUARTZ UK to one of my cars and application was quite easy. You'll save a ton of money. I personally don't like the sound of the service/deal you described above. Nothing against the shop or the product per se, but to get that super long protection (9 years!) you will have to follow their maintenance regimen to a T and no doubt buy a lot of expensive ceramic safe shampoos, boosters, etc. In my personal opinion, no daily driver or regularly used vehicle (especially if parked outside) can go more than 2 years without at least a light machine polish. Thus I wouldn't even want protection claiming more than that length of time. For most of my cars in recent years I've been satisfied to do a once a year polish, a quality sealant like Jescar Powerlock (or ceramic or whatever), followed by traditional wax a few times a year. I highly recommend the use of a spray wax or sealant after every maintenance wash. There are so many good ones now pretty much use what you like (Turtle Wax Ice, Griot's, etc.). Buy it by the gallon if you are real enthusiastic.
Sponsored