First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never had a MIC type top before. I plan on applying Avalon King ceramic on my Bronco when it comes in. Any one have any experience also applying it to the MIC top?
Sponsored

OP
OP
V8 Voodoo

V8 Voodoo

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, ceramic coating is not waxing.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can certainly use ceramic coating on the painted surfaces with the clear coat. I'm not sure I would use it on the MIC top or any plastic surfaces.

OP
OP
V8 Voodoo

V8 Voodoo

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can certainly use ceramic coating on the painted surfaces with the clear coat. I'm not sure I would use it on the MIC top or any plastic surfaces.
Yeah same. I don’t want to ruin it. I know Meguiars ceramic wax, which is not the same as ceramic coating, can be applied to trim plastic with no issues.

Sponsored

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I contacted GTechniq about using there ceramic coating on the MIC and they said it could absolutely be used. There is a video in this where they used C4 ceramic coating on the roof.

Correction it was GTechniq Ultra they used on the top.

Last edited:
First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Expedition, 2016 Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve never had a MIC type top before. I plan on applying Avalon King ceramic on my Bronco when it comes in. Any one have any experience also applying it to the MIC top?
We applied Gtechniq Ultra to the Bronco hardtop and it went quite well. Ultra does darken it to a small degree, at least at time of application, however it doesn't exactly change the colour. Crazy hydrophobic. Gtechniq C4 would also be good on the hardtop as it is a plastic based material, C4 would give it a nice sheen and protection as well.

We install ceramic coating on every substrate of the car! Plastic, painted panels, glass, metal. You just have to use the appropriate coating for the right area. The plastic MIC top can have Gtechniq C4 applied to it, however we applied Ultra for extra protection and hydrophobics. It bonds just the same, will it have quite the same chemical bonding for the next 9 years, as it would on paint? That is a different question. But in our experience so far it has performed very well.

I contacted GTechniq about using there ceramic coating on the MIC and they said it could absolutely be used. There is a video in this where they used C4 ceramic coating on the roof.

Correction it was GTechniq Ultra they used on the top.
That we did! You may or may not be referring to the video we made. We used Ultra in this particular occasion, however C4 would work just fine.

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We applied Gtechniq Ultra to the Bronco hardtop and it went quite well. Ultra does darken it to a small degree, at least at time of application, however it doesn't exactly change the colour. Crazy hydrophobic. Gtechniq C4 would also be good on the hardtop as it is a plastic based material, C4 would give it a nice sheen and protection as well.

We install ceramic coating on every substrate of the car! Plastic, painted panels, glass, metal. You just have to use the appropriate coating for the right area. The plastic MIC top can have Gtechniq C4 applied to it, however we applied Ultra for extra protection and hydrophobics. It bonds just the same, will it have quite the same chemical bonding for the next 9 years, as it would on paint? That is a different question. But in our experience so far it has performed very well.

That we did! You may or may not be referring to the video we made. We used Ultra in this particular occasion, however C4 would work just fine.

That is the video I was referring too. I am using the same products on mine when I get it. Only difference is I’m using CSL.

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That is the video I was referring too. I am using the same products on mine when I get it. Only difference is I’m using CSL.
Excellent! CSL is a fantastic product too, we thoroughly enjoy installing it and it continues to perform really well for all of our customers. Are you having PPF installed as well or just coating?

BigDog

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great video. Love the attention to detail. Do you recommend PPF and ceramic coating?

Sponsored

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Excellent! CSL is a fantastic product too, we thoroughly enjoy installing it and it continues to perform really well for all of our customers. Are you having PPF installed as well or just coating?
I’m doing a partial PPF all the front leading edges and the door jambs and bottom of the doors and rockers

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great video. Love the attention to detail. Do you recommend PPF and ceramic coating?
100% yes. The two products do two different things. Customer dissatisfaction occurs when they've been misled or fed misinformation. It depends on what you are looking for. Ceramic coating provides unmatched hydrophobics, chemical and grime resistance. PPF provides unmatched impact resistance from rock chips and has self-healing properties to mitigate light scratching over time. Best of both worlds is to have PPF installed and the whole vehicle ceramic coated on top!

These two videos go in to it in a little more depth. We also have a bunch more information on our website.

-

I’m doing a partial PPF all the front leading edges and the door jambs and bottom of the doors and rockers
Bottom side of the doors and rockers is definitely a good idea. If you don't have the textured grill, I would highly recommend having that PPF'd too!

Dover

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z4 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best of both worlds is to have PPF installed and the whole vehicle ceramic coated on top!
In my head I always assumed you should ceramic and then PPF (based on nothing). What is the reasoning for doing ceramic over the PPF? I am now assuming that's because the ceramic will wear out before the PPF does?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the ceramic coat is extremely hydrophobic and would do nothing under the plastic film. The film protects against scratches and little dings from pebbles but is not by itself all that hydrophobic. Once you add ceramic coating water (and mud and dirt) will just roll off or be very easy to wash off.
I will apply PPF just to the front of my hood and the front of the fenders as well as the door sills. Then I'll apply ceramic coating on all painted surfaces, the glass and if I have enough, the fenders.

I've never done any of this, will be a fun experiment. Hope it works, as I'm certainly not gonna spend thousands of $ on having this done, cheaper to have it repainted down the road if it comes to that.

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In my head I always assumed you should ceramic and then PPF (based on nothing). What is the reasoning for doing ceramic over the PPF? I am now assuming that's because the ceramic will wear out before the PPF does?
@Daktari pretty much nailed it. PPF cannot be applied on top of ceramic coating because:
  1. PPF will not adhere to ceramic coated panels and can severely hamper performance and longevity.
  2. Ceramic coating serves no purpose if it is covered by a layer of film. Think wallpaper on Mona Lisa's face. That's no longer art, now that's just a wall.
With that said, if you are considering PPF and ceramic coating, you should opt to have PPF installed first. Coating would need to be polished off before PPF could be properly installed.

If you have PPF then you have great impact resistance, coating does not provide this. Ceramic and PPF both serve to protect and aid in maintenance however they provide 2 distinctly different services. PPF is not inherently very hydrophobic and coating is not going to protect against rocks and abrasion. However ceramic coating on top of PPF will give you both, excellent impact and scratch resistance, with ease of maintenance and hydrophobics on top!

We actually discuss this in one of our FAQ's on our website, check it out. Why Ceramic Coat on top of PPF?
Sponsored