Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thought I’d drop this here since I’m an audiophile & musician with very expensive home equipment but since I drive my Bronco mostly open air I wanted a cheap but effective way to upgrade the sound system without breaking the bank. I was looking for clean highs and mids since I listen to mostly jazz and folk. I went with Polk Audio 2 way marine grade speakers (attached link) and replaced the 2 dash speakers and the / rear pods.

I also bought the Metra wiring harnesses. This swap took about 35 minutes on my lunch break (I work fromHome) and made an enormous difference. Bass is still a bit lacking but if you are on a budget and looking for cleaner vocals, highs and mids even with the top off I can’t recommend this swap enough!!! Classic rock, jazz, folk, oldies and most ambient music sounds literally 1000 times better than the factory speakers. My .02 on a cheap upgrade

https://a.co/d/hiuU2a5
Sponsored

JRMFFL531

Wildtrak
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Possibly a dumb question. The dash/pods are the same size. Are the door the same size? I ride everywhere with the top off. Probably bc it's more quiet than having the soft top on. Haha

OP
OP
Anvilair1973

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Possibly a dumb question. The dash/pods are the same size. Are the door the same size? I ride everywhere with the top off. Probably bc it's more quiet than having the soft top on. Haha
The upper dash and rear pods are indeed the same. The kick panel near the doors is a bigger speaker, I forget which size but easily looked up on crutchfield.com
and I may swap those as well after just the great results I’m enjoying from just replacing the four 4” speakers

JRMFFL531

Wildtrak
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for posting the link. I'm ordering 2 sets right now.

OP
OP
Anvilair1973

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bass is still an issue. Just want to be clear on that.

Sponsored

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which wiring harness did you pick up?

Thought I’d drop this here since I’m an audiophile & musician with very expensive home equipment but since I drive my Bronco mostly open air I wanted a cheap but effective way to upgrade the sound system without breaking the bank. I was looking for clean highs and mids since I listen to mostly jazz and folk. I went with Polk Audio 2 way marine grade speakers (attached link) and replaced the 2 dash speakers and the / rear pods. I also bought the Metra wiring harnesses. This swap took about 35 minutes on my lunch break (I work from
Home) and made an enormous difference. Bass is still a bit lacking but if you are on a budget and looking for cleaner vocals, highs and mids even with the top off I can’t recommend this swap enough!!! Classic rock, jazz, folk, oldies and most ambient music sounds literally 1000 times better than the factory speakers. My .02 on a cheap upgrade

https://a.co/d/hiuU2a5

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wow, if you're that impressed with a speaker swap, you've got to try an amp. I was blown away with how much an amp did for my stock base system (with factory sub). Later I tried upgrading the pod speakers and as far as I could tell, it did nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anvilair1973

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You’ll need the Metra 72-5603 Speaker Wiring Harnesses to make it super easy

Sponsored

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you install a bass blocker? I've seen where they are recommended but if the speaker is a full range I don't see why it's required.

The lower front speakers are 6.5" an most 6.75" fit from what I've seen. I'm thinking of getting the larger rear pods an putting 6.5's in the back.

The polk speakers are popular with the Harley guys like me because they sound good, put out decent volume an are cheap enough if they get trashed it's not a big deal to replace them. I currently run Hertz speakers on my bike but I avoid the rain. They need an amp to sound decent though.

OP
OP
Anvilair1973

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you install a bass blocker? I've seen where they are recommended but if the speaker is a full range I don't see why it's required.

The lower front speakers are 6.5" an most 6.75" fit from what I've seen. I'm thinking of getting the larger rear pods an putting 6.5's in the back.

The polk speakers are popular with the Harley guys like me because they sound good, put out decent volume an are cheap enough if they get trashed it's not a big deal to replace them. I currently run Hertz speakers on my bike but I avoid the rain. They need an amp to sound decent though.

Try the Polks. No bass blocker
needed unless you modify something else. I fell in love with the Polks for the very reason you mention… had them on my FJ 1300. I bought them for the quality sound and also for exactly what you said… I run top off a lot and if rain destroys them I’m not out a ton of cash

bjpatten

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The upper dash and rear pods are indeed the same. The kick panel near the doors is a bigger speaker, I forget which size but easily looked up on crutchfield.com
and I may swap those as well after just the great results I’m enjoying from just replacing the four 4” speakers
They are 6.5. I swapped mine out with Polk Momo's. I also have two amps installed and two tens in the back. My back speakers were swapped out with 6.5 also and new pods.

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I sold my Polk home speakers from the mid-70's when I retired, and they were the best speakers I've ever had (I think they were called SRS Reference speakers, and they had a cable that connected them to each other). Also had Polk speakers in all my trucks until getting a Silverado that had the Bose system, which was pretty good. I'm 70 and my hearing has deteriorated somewhat, so I'm OK with the speakers in my Bronco, but if I do trade it in for a Taco or Tundra, I'll have to see how the JBL system sounds.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
dash & pods same
kickers 6" suits best
check sizes ome on crutchfield sites
Sponsored