Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Damn, life has just got interesting.

I've had a Manual Trans Black Diamond reservation going back July 2020 with conversion to order conversion in January 2021 and then a MY22 conversion in October 22 where I added squach package.

When I reserved, I had 4 vehicles in the stable and as I posted some weeks ago was down to two both with high miles and in different states (i.e. we can't rely on each other if one does down).

With lead times on cars being what they are, and no idea when I would see my black Diamond, in late November I ordered another bronco at another dealer with an auto trans so either of us could drive it. So I had this ordered:

1) Race Red, 2 Door Black Diamond, Manual Trans, Squach (July 2020 Reservation) (my desired build)
2) Eruption Green, 2 Door, Base, Automatic Trans (Late November 2021 Order) (for both of us)

On my BD I had constraints of MIC top and tow. On the Base only MIC top. I wouldn't think tow would be that much of an issue, but still my prediction was I would see that Base sooner just because orders seemed to get filled faster than reservations.

So here is where it goes sideways.... One of our vehicles stopped running. Fortunately, I was home for the holidays, or this would have been a serious mess to deal with. As it was, I had to delay my departure until it was fixed. I decided I can't continue to wait as that vehicle is starting to have issues too often. I called up the dealer where I ordered the base and said I am out of time and initiated the purchase of a Ranger.

Today I was supposed to sign the papers on the Ranger. All in place. It is insured. Dealer calls and says the order for the Base, which they hadn't cancelled yet, was just scheduled for early March build. They are giving me an option to back out of the sale in progress in favor of the order.

I have absolutely no issue with two Broncos. I like the idea of commonality of much of the parts. And with the other one's schedule completely unknown I'll take any Bronco till then.

On the other hand, the Ranger still shares components, and the Ranger is a much smoother every day on the road car.

The Bronco I am left in the same situation I been for a while now which could come bite me while the ranger would be available as back up immediately.

I have to admit it isn't an obvious decision. The Base Bronco, even with some ADM I had to accept when ordering it is still about 4K cheaper than the crew cab XLT 4x4 Ranger.

Decisions, decisions. I am at least thankful to have the option. The dealer could have not told me till it was too late.

Oh, if pattern I observed holds, my earlier Bronco ordered will get scheduled next time they do scheduling.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, life has just got interesting.

I've had a Manual Trans Black Diamond reservation going back July 2020 with conversion to order conversion in January 2021 and then a MY22 conversion in October 22 where I added squach package.

When I reserved, I had 4 vehicles in the stable and as I posted some weeks ago was down to two both with high miles and in different states (i.e. we can't rely on each other if one does down).

With lead times on cars being what they are, and no idea when I would see my black Diamond, in late November I ordered another bronco at another dealer with an auto trans so either of us could drive it. So I had this ordered:

1) Race Red, 2 Door Black Diamond, Manual Trans, Squach (July 2020 Reservation) (my desired build)
2) Eruption Green, 2 Door, Base, Automatic Trans (Late November 2021 Order) (for both of us)

On my BD I had constraints of MIC top and tow. On the Base only MIC top. I wouldn't think tow would be that much of an issue, but still my prediction was I would see that Base sooner just because orders seemed to get filled faster than reservations.

So here is where it goes sideways.... One of our vehicles stopped running. Fortunately, I was home for the holidays, or this would have been a serious mess. As it was, I had to delay my departure. I decided I can't continue to wait. I called up the dealer where I ordered the base and said I am out of time and initiated the purchase of a Ranger.

Today I was supposed to sign the papers on the Ranger. All in place. It is insured. Dealer calls and says the order for the Base, which they hadn't cancelled yet, was just scheduled for early March build. They are giving me an option to back out of the sale in progress in favor of the order.

I have absolutely no issue with two Broncos. I like the idea of commonality of much of the parts. And with the other one's schedule completely unknown I'll take any Bronco till then.

On the other hand, the Ranger still shares components, and the Ranger is a much smoother every day on the road car.

The Bronco I am left in the same situation I been for a while now which could come bite me while the ranger would be available as back up immediately.

I have to admit it isn't an obvious decision. The Base Bronco, even with some ADM I had to accept when ordering it is still about 4K cheaper than the crew cab XLT 4x4 Ranger.

Decisions, decisions. I am at least thankful to have the option. The dealer could have not told me till it was too late.

Oh, if pattern I observed holds, my earlier Bronco ordered will get scheduled next time they do scheduling.
Did you just tear a page out of your diary and make us read it?

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why can’t you just fix the broken car?

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why can’t you just fix the broken car?
Sorry I didn't clarify that. Yes it was fixed, but with 3 times in 7 months with the other two being big hassle hard to continue without another vehcile.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the Ranger is MSRP you should just get that now, get the Base when it is delivered and then sell the Ranger when the second Bronco gets built. Or keep the Ranger if you like it and sell the Base. Car prices should keep being crazy for another year.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the Ranger is MSRP you should just get that now, get the Base when it is delivered and then sell the Ranger when the second Bronco gets built. Or keep the Ranger if you like it and sell the Base. Car prices should keep being crazy for another year.
That is a thought. One reason I been feeling pressure to move in Jan/Feb this year is I can see not only car shortage continue but the inflation dam cracking so in 4 years the prices now could look positively juicy though they seem disgustingly high to me right now.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I was pondering options in new of waiting MONTHS for my bronco, since I sold my last car for 4K more than what it was worth last year, I was looking at capability. Liked the front locking diff. and the only other option (in price range) that I could find besides the Jeep was the Chevy Colorado ZR2. No locking front diff on the ranger, which I was surprised. I didn't want a jeep and the wife didn't want t truck so we just hug on. But my advice is to really decide what you want and like out of the bronco and find an alternative. If you don't need the front diff, then do the ranger in my opinion 100% It won't be the cool status like the Bronco, but it's capable and has good accessories for it.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I was pondering options in new of waiting MONTHS for my bronco, since I sold my last car for 4K more than what it was worth last year, I was looking at capability. Liked the front locking diff. and the only other option (in price range) that I could find besides the Jeep was the Chevy Colorado ZR2. No locking front diff on the ranger, which I was surprised. I didn't want a jeep and the wife didn't want t truck so we just hug on. But my advice is to really decide what you want and like out of the bronco and find an alternative. If you don't need the front diff, then do the ranger in my opinion 100% It won't be the cool status like the Bronco, but it's capable and has good accessories for it.
In this instance neither the Bronco Base nor Ranger have the optional lockers. My main 4WD interest is snow and while lockers would be nice, I've not needed them. What I really don't know is if the transfer cases allows the front and rear drive shafts to be at different speeds. If it does then lockers become more important. At Off Rodeo they had us put the Bronco in 4WD while on dry pavement and drive that way around curves which can't be done without binding unless the transfer case allows the two drive shafts to be at different speeds. All the 4WD I ever had the shaft speeds were always the same and it would bind up if in 4WD on dry pavement.

I agree the Ranger is nice. Better highway, quieter interior, better sound system and better overall utility. The Bronco is almost 3ft shorter and I like the shorter dimensions for snow driving.
Sponsored