First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Mustang GT, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello Bronco Nation! I have a '22 Outer Banks in Eruption Green and love the hell out of it! However, it is a soft top and I live in Michigan. Our nasty winter will be here before you know it. My biggest issue in the first year of ownership, was keeping this rig clean all winter long. I take it to a Touchless wash, but it still doesn't ever look clean. I want it to look as if I just finished washing by hand, as in the picture attached. So, i figured, i'll have it ceramic coated, that will help right.....However, the more research I do, I find out that you should
Ford Bronco Cleaning Conundrum! Bronco
no take your ceramic coated vehicles through car washes??? Is this true, does the wash just ware the $1500 wax job away? What is the best way to keep the salt and grim off the vehicle when used for a daily driver? I'm looking for all options before winter arrives! Thank you for your suggestions.
Sponsored

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hello, you should definitely get it ceramic coated. It will help you keep the truck clean. Just make sure you do your research on the shop that does it so it gets done correctly. A lot of places around me only are charging $500 because they are using spray wax with (ceramic) in it lol.

A good way to tell if it’s going to be done properly is ask them how long it takes, if they say anything less then 8 hours run haha. (Depending on what level of coating you do and how many coats you get applied)

Although hand wash is recommended you can go through the touchless washes. What breaks down coatings is abrasion. So car washes with brushes are a no go!

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had mine Ceramic Coated and hand washing it is super easy. Water beads right up and runs right off it.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First note. This is Bronco6g not Btonco Nation. Those peeps might get upset with you tossing their copyrighted name around on competing forums.

Second if you want it to look hand washed then hand wash it. Yes my 21 OBX is dirty and needs a bath but in its 36,000 miles it has never seen the inside of a car wash.

Third there are polish (not wax) options you can do yourself for way less than a C-note which will last at least 6 months or more. (Astro-Shield is my go to)

Fourth. Did not have the Bronco coated but did have a 20 minute dealer applied option on our X4 and have never waxed it since.

Fifth. Makes a world of difference what soap and water you use to wash. Try Mutphy's Oil Soap and use soft water if you can. Hard water leaves spots.

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Cleaning Conundrum! 1692099351453

Sponsored

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a OBX soft top for a couple of years. Always hand washed just because of the fabric and plastic curtains. Every few washes I’d just use Maguire’s hybrid ceramic detailer. Quick and easy and left a great shine. MIchigan winters and road salt is the worst. Maybe just try to hose it off whenever it gets above freezing until you can give it a proper wash. Then again, it’s just a truck.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think maybe I made the right decision that I'm just going to let mine be dirty. I wash the mud and dust off of it regularly, but the black parts are never going to look new again, and I can live with that.
Ford Bronco Cleaning Conundrum! 2b7xOof

This is a more recent photo of me getting it "clean enough" to take to a car wash. ;)
3h5JPxq.jpg

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Man I bought that hybrid stuff on the advice of some people who swear by it - and it left the hood of my red car looking horrible. Like I had wiped grease all over the hood, especially noticeable at certain angles with the light reflecting.

Tried buffing it out with no luck. Finally had to use the damp towel method to cut it down. I'm hesitant to try it again.

Ended up instead going with old school carnauba wax. More work but apply, haze and wipe off goes as expected without the greasy streaking.

CTwaterfowler

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Had my 21 ceramic coated, I researched around and use Adam's wash, Adam's ceramic sealer
I also got the nice soft towels to wash,bdry,. I apply the Adam's sealed after the vehicle has been buffed dry. I used another towel to apply the sealer and a Separate one to buff it dry.
The ceramic coating makes it a 1 and half hour job start to finsh.cyber orange reflects beautifully.
Adam's is definitely worth the investment.
Buy the gallon sized

Sponsored

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wash the mud and dust off of it regularly, but the black parts are never going to look new again, and I can live with that.
Wash it and wipe all the black plastic with VRP, it will look new again. It's not greasy.

Use it to clean all the rubber seals around the windows and removable top panels also, it will keep your Bronco sealed up, weather tight, and keep all those rubber gaskets from deteriorating.

Ford Bronco Cleaning Conundrum! Screenshot_20230815_095921_Firefox

Nice Base Squatch by the way... they are the best!

Ford Bronco Cleaning Conundrum! 20230508_124731

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I live in Mi too just keep the salt off, under body blast from a touchless is my go to. Winter weekly washes...
Ford Bronco Cleaning Conundrum! IMG-6912

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wash it and wipe all the black plastic with VRP, it will look new again. It's not greasy.
The fender flares are already beat up enough to never look new again. They might look black, and shiny, but not new.

Blue Oval

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As others have said not all ceramic coating are created equal. Talk to several detainers. The guy I used kept the Bronco for four days. First he clays it, then he does paint correction. Mine had some very light marks on the hood which I didn’t even notice. He said that could have happened at the dealership when they prepped it. Then he applies something that helps the ceramic coating adhere to the paint better. Then a coat of ceramic coating, wait an hour and a half. Then a second coat and wait 24 hours. Then a final coat of something else.

He said I can take it through a touchless car wash however it best to hand wash it. He recommened a product called Mothers CMX for wash soap. Don’t use a bucket when you wash it because the dirt will accumulate in the wash water and can scratch the paint. Apply the soap to the mitt and rinse the mitt out every once and a while.

He also said to bring it back in a year and he can apply a product that rejuvenates the ceramic coating.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I take mine through a Car Wash at least once a week and it's never been an issue. I have ceramic coated the windows and mirrors - after cleaning them thoroughly. Water sheds off these as expected, but I will still get spotting occasionally, but a quick wipe with a damp microfiber and I'm all good. I have to reapply about every couple of months - so Ceramic coating is not a once and done.

If you're looking into Ceramic coating the body, make sure that a thorough detailing, paint correction, clay bar, etc. are done as well. As with any vehicle, if you want it to look showroom clean, you have to keep it clean and covered.
Sponsored