Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now it's easy because without trucks on the lot it's impossible to go make an emotional impulsive decision

But with bronco's on the lot it'll be way easier to look at the orange one, look at a random other bronco that's a similar price and just buy the orange one.
I feel sorry for the poor blokes who are waiting to buy a Bronco from the lot rather than reserving and ordering one right now. Not just for the reason you mentioned, but for the financial raping that will inevitably commence with insane dealership markups. Man that will suck for them.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel sorry for the poor blokes who are waiting to buy a Bronco from the lot rather than reserving and ordering one right now. Not just for the reason you mentioned, but for the financial raping that will inevitably commence with insane dealership markups. Man that will suck for them.
I'll be very curiously watching how long it takes ford to catch up with the demand. Hopefully they sell a ton of these things!

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Because through market research they know what colors are most desirable.
They know if you want Cyber Orange bad enough, you will be going up near 8k from 2 door base to BD to get it.
Ford Bronco Color Locking Based on Trim 2021-Bronco-2dr-4dr-Color-Sheet_page_1

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do we know what colors are locked or will that be revealed when B&P come out?

Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which is where I'm so sad that people are willing to fall for the gimmick. All the functionality/luxury I want is in the 2-Door Base with Sasquatch and the 2.7L w/ 10 speed auto. While I can afford to buy a Black Diamond or Badlands, I'm not paying $10k extra for essentially the color I want, and it's sad that others will. If people stopped giving in to the gimmick, manufacturers would stop doing things like that.
I doubt anyone is paying $10k for a color. They probably actually want the other features that don't come in the barebones base model.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Generally the color lockout is on the more expensive paints. The $595 up charge for a special metallic/pearl does not begin to cover the added cost of the more expensive paint. To offset it they force your into upper end packages that have higher profit margins. To offer the expensive paints on the low margin "basic" models the up charge would have to be several thousand dollars.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn't realize half the colors were gray... and this is from a guy that has a silver Jeep, a grey RAM, and a dark grey Mazda CUV in his garage.

But yeah, pretty sure everyone does this except Tesla. Makes manufacturing more efficient and helps push more $$ models (e.g. the Toyota TRDs so you can unlock the army green color choice...). Either way, win-win for the manufacturer to do it this way.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford is actually giving the base model more options than most with the availability to add the Sasquatch package. Back in the old days base got you maybe a couple of colors and manual everything if you wanted more you moved up the trim line, nothing new now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Generally the color lockout is on the more expensive paints. The $595 up charge for a special metallic/pearl does not begin to cover the added cost of the more expensive paint. To offset it they force your into upper end packages that have higher profit margins. To offer the expensive paints on the low margin "basic" models the up charge would have to be several thousand dollars.
I would be inclined to believe you if I hadn't painted boats (in adulthood) and restored/painted cars in VoTech (I ordered and painted several custom dual coat and tri-coat jobs to include pearl finishes). The price difference for the paints can be a bit but not even in the ballpark of moving up in trim level. Plus they paint using robots at Ford, so you really can't say it is because of increased man-hours (besides sanding and washing) on the vehicle with upgraded paint. I forget the article where I read this but each Bronco will have about a $7,500 profit margin. That's regardless of trim, so forcing people up trim levels based on paint isn't a valid excuse.

D190065

First Edition
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE; 2015 HD RGS; 23 F150 Tremor ordered
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So why are there Bronco bolts ?‍♂.... ?‍♂ to get you to buy more stuff... ?‍♂ Ha! I just used three emojis... :ROFLMAO: oops four!

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is another reason not stated. Some people who buy higher tier trims on vehicles want the exclusivity of standing out from the base or lower trims. Some people identify their worth with there possessions. Some won't spend 55k on one that can be parked next to a 35k one that looks identical. Like it or not the consumer drives decisions like this as much as the bean counters at Ford. America has a lot of vanity in it and those people want to stand out....

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't realize half the colors were gray... and this is from a guy that has a silver Jeep, a grey RAM, and a dark grey Mazda CUV in his garage.

But yeah, pretty sure everyone does this except Tesla. Makes manufacturing more efficient and helps push more $$ models (e.g. the Toyota TRDs so you can unlock the army green color choice...). Either way, win-win for the manufacturer to do it this way.
Except for 2021 Toyota has put Cement Grey and Army Green on the lowest models as well. Only those two colours as options.
Sponsored