Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3, 2021 Area 51 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Columbus, Ohio to Manitoulin Island Canada and back

Ford Bronco Columbus, Ohio to Manitoulin Island Canada and back ma

The wife and I just celebrated our anniversary. Since this year was one of those milestones, we decided to get out of town. This was our first real road trip in the Bronco. We packed up and headed to Manitoulin Island, Canada, the world's largest freshwater island.

Because we were there before the start of the Canadian summer season, we had to drive up the long way. There was just no way we could leave early enough to catch the ferry over. So, we drove the entire length of Michigan to Sault Ste Marie (and killed every bug in the Upper Peninsula) and then around the northern side of Lake Huron, crossing over to the Island on the swing bridge.

Ford Bronco Columbus, Ohio to Manitoulin Island Canada and back Swing bridge

We spent the next 5 days driving around the entire island doing couple stuff. Did some hiking, went to a couple of art galleries, etc.

The trip home was shorter since we were able to leave in time to get on the ferry.

Ride: The Bronco performed admirably on Interstate, two lane highway, narrow country roads and gravel. No complaints.

Cargo: We easily packed enough luggage for two people for a week into the back of the two door and still had plenty of space for a cooler bag of snacks.

Mileage: All of the highway driving was great for my gas mileage. I went from a 19.4 MPG average to 21.2 MPG by the time we got back.

This wasn't an offroading/camping type trip, but I still managed to find a little dirt. Unfortunately, we kept running into "Private Road" or "No Trespassing" signs. Next trip up that way will be the offroading park on Drummond Island.

Yes, I sped the video up a little.
Sponsored

Last edited: