Sponsored

Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts?

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

SO this thread got a little kick... I'll update.

I ended up getting the best xpel 10mm blah blah whatever stuff on the front and hood and front fenders. {insert full frontal joke here}. Then I had them do full ceramic coat on everything, hard top, windows, etc etc etc etc. And they did tint... here in Phoenix the sun is absolutely relentless so I just did the best IR blocking tint they had and put a dark strip on the top of my windshield and the windshield got a light layer just to help block IR.

All in all... that was like $5K + uncle sam out the door.
I've also purchased better wash equipment, power washer, foam canon, very expensive microfiber towel, bucket sediment plastic thingy, all the shit. lol. Figured.... up my washing game and my truck and the wife's car will benefit.

The really cool thing was out on the trail one day I hit a massive muddy water hole and for the next 15 min just watched the beads of dirty water roll across my hood as I traversed rocks lol.
Did you get all this done at Hyer Quality in Tempe? I just got my front end PPF done at Hyer and am now considering ceramic coat from Hyer.
Sponsored

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have you PPF'd the Bronco yet? If so, how do you like it thus far?
yes it’s complete! I love it. Definitely go with the matte finish if you like the look. What color do you have?

FYI people say that shops say that the stealth shows finger prints, stains and scratches more easily it’s simply not true. If anything it’s better then gloss in those aspects. Most shops prefer not to do it because it’s more work on wrapping edges ect.

2A23F95A-8169-4A87-92D0-01B1E2C38596.jpeg

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yes it’s complete! I love it. Definitely go with the matte finish if you like the look. What color do you have?

FYI people say that shops say that the stealth shows finger prints, stains and scratches more easily it’s simply not true. If anything it’s better then gloss in those aspects. Most shops prefer not to do it because it’s more work on wrapping edges ect.

Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 2A23F95A-8169-4A87-92D0-01B1E2C38596
Thanks so much for the reply. Your Bronco looks great with the matte finish. I have the Iconic Silver and the shop put a small piece on the hood. I think it will look good. I asked the guys at the shop what they would do and without hesitation they both said matte for sure. My main concern is pinstripes when driving through brush and how that will look on the matte compared to the clear. Yours with the matte will definitely stand out in the crowd! Thanks!!

Ladyinbluebronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you give me some guidance. I'm mostly concerned about pin striping in brush/trees etc. I am planning on Xpel Stealth but I've heard that it doesn't self-heal as well as the clear? Also, I see Xpel has a 10mm clear wrap. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!
Pin striping in brush/trees (?) Do you mean you are planning on adding graphics? Or you have graphics already installed and aren’t sure about the PPF with it?

As for self healing properties I haven’t had to test it out. I have over 16,000 miles and it still looks amazing.
I have a mobile company and I get a lot of compliments on the finish. I’m super happy with it. If you like the satin look I totally recommend it. Remember too that Xpel products have a 10 year warranty. If you get it ceramic coated it bonds with the film and just adds that additional protection. On the other hand I have installed mostly the ultimate plus clear and have very happy customers.

A2B72FB7-CBBD-40C4-9C4E-B3F753442450.jpeg

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I went full PPF. The lines on the Bronco are complicated so things like the mirrors and underside of the grille (which is behind my bumper/winch) were not done or done with some minimal strips. I love the PPF. Easy to clean and looks great.

It is a time consuming process to get it right make sure you have a reputable place. I had to have my drivers fender done 2x because I was not happy with how it turned out right by the grille near the top....again... hard location.

I went with PPF because I did want protection, not just beauty.

However if you want BIGTIME protection go kevlar coating. But I like my shine too much.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Sponsored

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not the OP, but I have nearly full PPF (LLumar Valor) on everything but the tailgate. I have been real happy with it, I have seen pinstriping disappear. I'm in KC if you are near and need an installer, I can make a good recommendation. They also put an ExoShield window film on with the PPF. I didn't go with the matte PPF from LLumar because I have Velocity Blue and didn't want to lose the pop of the color.
That is great to hear. My main concern is pinstripes. I’m in Wichita and we have a couple good installers here in town but I’ll be also looking at Llumar now! I’m a little indifferent on the clear or the matte as there are some great Bronco colors for sure! Is the exoshield for the outside of the windshield for protection? Thanks! John

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pin striping in brush/trees (?) Do you mean you are planning on adding graphics? Or you have graphics already installed and aren’t sure about the PPF with it?

As for self healing properties I haven’t had to test it out. I have over 16,000 miles and it still looks amazing.
I have a mobile company and I get a lot of compliments on the finish. I’m super happy with it. If you like the satin look I totally recommend it. Remember too that Xpel products have a 10 year warranty. If you get it ceramic coated it bonds with the film and just adds that additional protection. On the other hand I have installed mostly the ultimate plus clear and have very happy customers.

Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? A2B72FB7-CBBD-40C4-9C4E-B3F753442450
Love the look as it really stands out. By pinstriping I’m referring to the stripes you can get when driving off-road and scraping along brush or small limbs. I’ve heard the matte film doesn’t self heal quite as well as the clear, do you have experience around this? Thanks for your info! John

Holiday

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is great to hear. My main concern is pinstripes. I’m in Wichita and we have a couple good installers here in town but I’ll be also looking at Llumar now! I’m a little indifferent on the clear or the matte as there are some great Bronco colors for sure! Is the exoshield for the outside of the windshield for protection? Thanks! John
Correct, ExoShield is essentially a PPF over the windshield that protects it from chips and cracks.

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you get all this done at Hyer Quality in Tempe? I just got my front end PPF done at Hyer and am now considering ceramic coat from Hyer.
yeah I used his shop... my buddy had his R8 there and have another friend w/ a new Z06 that used Hyer's place and told me to go so... his crew did all my tint, ppf, and ceramic.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks so much for the reply. Your Bronco looks great with the matte finish. I have the Iconic Silver and the shop put a small piece on the hood. I think it will look good. I asked the guys at the shop what they would do and without hesitation they both said matte for sure. My main concern is pinstripes when driving through brush and how that will look on the matte compared to the clear. Yours with the matte will definitely stand out in the crowd! Thanks!!
pinstripes are no issue. You would notice it more with clear for sure. Keep in mind that ppf can still get gouged or damaged but your paint will still be good.

I’m gonna be doing my friends iconic silver at some point. Going to look bad ass!

here’s a video of me rubbing a stick on the ppf. Didn’t even mark it at all

Sponsored

8oncoPete

Raptor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Raptor and 2024 BMW i7 / 2019 BMW X5m
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Love PPF Stealth and ceramic.

RunJB

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
pinstripes are no issue. You would notice it more with clear for sure. Keep in mind that ppf can still get gouged or damaged but your paint will still be good.

I’m gonna be doing my friends iconic silver at some point. Going to look bad ass!

here’s a video of me rubbing a stick on the ppf. Didn’t even mark it at all

Awesome, thanks for the information and the video. I’m getting excited!

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
PPF on the hood, front fenders and windshield frame. Ceramic coat on the entire Bronco.

Looks great all the time and very easy to clean.

broncodozer.jpeg

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I assume ceramic on the MIC hard top and plastic fender flares is a good thing and won’t harm anything? I’m going to get ceramic and was quoted all plastic trim and the hard top too, so just want to make sure I’m not causing more harm than good. Thank you.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Correct, ExoShield is essentially a PPF over the windshield that protects it from chips and cracks.
I installed a kit from these guys instead: www.grab-gard.com. It was less than half the cost of the quotes I got for exoshield and seemed to have better reviews as well.
Sponsored