First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I am scheduled to have PPF installed on the hood of my Bronco next week, and I have never had a vehicle with this stuff on it before...so I have a few questions for those that have. Also, the installer uses Xpel.....if that matters. Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Do more bugs stick to PPF than to the paint? If so, is it harder to get the bugs off the PPF? If so, what is the best/safest method to remove the bugs without damaging the PPF?
Can you wax the PPF? If so, what type of wax....spray, paste, liquid? Does it need to be a certain type of wax?
Will water bead up on the PPF like it does paint? Will water spot PPF like it does paint, if left to dry?
Over time, will the PPF turn yellow or discolor? If so, what is the "life expectancy" of PPF?
Sorry for all the questions, but I figured this forum would have answers and advice....thanks again.
Sponsored

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Definitely use spray wax. PPF usually lasts about 10 years with care. Xpel is good stuff. The rest…. I don’t know.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are all great questions, and I'm bumping the thread to see if we can get someone who knows more about it to answer them. :)

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn’t say that bugs stick to the ppf any different than paint. I’ve never had an issue washing them off of ppf, and I’ve never treated it with anything. For the bronco, I will likely be adding a ceramic coat on the outside of my ppf wrap to help protect it. There are some brands that yellow over time, but XPEL is a solid brand. It will bead up water much like paint and there can be water spots created if it just sits to dry. These can be wiped off during a wash with no issue. Ceramic coating can help minimize these. Typical life expectancy of the ppf is about 10years before it would need to be pulled off and reapplied.

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wouldn’t say that bugs stick to the ppf any different than paint. I’ve never had an issue washing them off of ppf, and I’ve never treated it with anything. For the bronco, I will likely be adding a ceramic coat on the outside of my ppf wrap to help protect it. There are some brands that yellow over time, but XPEL is a solid brand. It will bead up water much like paint and there can be water spots created if it just sits to dry. These can be wiped off during a wash with no issue. Ceramic coating can help minimize these. Typical life expectancy of the ppf is about 10years before it would need to be pulled off and reapplied.
Thank you for the information. It was installed Friday and looks terrific. The installer basically said to treat it like paint, but NEVER use an abrasive material on it.

Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the information. It was installed Friday and looks terrific. The installer basically said to treat it like paint, but NEVER use an abrasive material on it.
Yes, that’s correct. Anything abrasive will scratch the ppf. Now XPEL and some others can “heal” scratches a little bit, but if you’re constantly giving it swirl marks with a Brillo pad, you’re not gonna have a good time. It’s not a high maintenance item, but here are a few tips:
- if you’re in an area that’s really hot, try not to wash the car in peak heat. The ppf softens in heat and if you go rub across the dirty surface while it’s hot, that dirt can cut up the ppf.
- don’t use a pressure washer, or if you do, keep it a few feet away from the car surface as the high pressure can also cut through or damage the ppf.
- rinse/wash the car a bit to get the majority of the debris off with just water before you wipe it. Use a microfiber cloth and you’ll be fine.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have XPEL on my 911. My last one got sand blasted on the highway, and while the insurance paid for the repaint, I lost the same amount on resale value.

The XPEL is worth it, in my opinion. It’s pretty easy to handle. I have a ceramic coating from Carpro over the entire car, including the PPF. I’m pretty cautious washing the entire car. Treat it like paint (meaning it will scratch easily) and you’ll be fine.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have XPEL Stealth on my Bronco.

It seems to act much like paint as far as cleanup and beading. I haven't put anything on mine yet but will get it ceramic coated next spring.

As far as cleanup, I had the unfortunate luck to drive through some construction where they had put some VERY fresh paint down on the road. Had it ALL over the sides of my bronco, on the rock sliders. the rear fender flares. A real mess.

Of course this happened at night and I didn't see it till the next day. Checked with XPEL and my installer and they both gave the OK to use Acetone to get the paint off. Took 2 hours of elbow grease and cussing but I got all but the very faintest traces of the paint off of everywhere except the rear fender flares. And even the very faint marks that were left have started to fade.

No visible effect on the XPEL Stealth.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much would y'all expect for full hood, full fenders, painted bumper pieces, headlights, and the painted part around the frame of windshield?
Also, any parts I should add?

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How much would y'all expect for full hood, full fenders, painted bumper pieces, headlights, and the painted part around the frame of windshield?
I had the full hood, full fenders, the painted pieced between the bumper and grille, the pieces around the windshield, and the door sills covered. It was somewhere around $1700.

Sponsored

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have 3M PPF on both my car and my wife's Honda. XPEL is highly rated, but the best installer in my city used 3M at the time. The 3M at the time also had a better warranty from my memory, but I think they are the same now. My wife's car is 7-8 years old with about 107k miles on it and the PPF looks new. It's done a great job protecting the front end of the cars. I've treated it just like paint using the same paint protection products I've used on the car including buffing it with fine cut swirl remover to get some water spots out. I've used wax, sealants, and now CSL/EXO ceramic coating. It beads up and looks just like paint.

There is always a huge debate on the car enthusiasts web sites over the cost of the PPF vs just repainting. My daughters Honda we bought used doesn't have PPF because i couldn't justify spending $1k for PPF on a $9k car. The bumper / hood looked terrible after only 50k miles though and she was involved in a little fender bender having to repaint the front bumper. I can tell it's been repainted so PPF is a no brainer for me.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is the exact Xpel work I had done-$1850. I highly recommend exo-shield for your windshield also. I have already been popped by rocks a couple of times. No damage.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you in Northern VA? I had PPF applied last week.

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you in Northern VA? I had PPF applied last week.
No, I'm in the Roanoke area. There's only one installer in this area! LOL... we are about 20 years behind!

abdickson70

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I love a challenge and have Youtube certified on many DIY projects on my car and around the house. I haven't failed enough to reprogram myself into not believing I can figure shit out. My Badlands is being built next week and I have bought enough bulk 3M Pro Series film to wrap my whole truck for about $500 plus another $60 in supplies and tools I didn't have on hand. I guess the worse case scenario is it looks like hot garbage and ends up in recycling and my wife finally gets to tell me I told you so. If it turns out well, I will post, if not I will pretend it never happened and hope no one asks. ;)
Sponsored