First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Telluride SX AWD / 2003 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I was converting today, I would be BaseSquatch, 2.7, Auto, hardtop, aux switches, modular bumper and bash plates, AMB. Seems like. A screaming deal for $46k.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve considered it a lot, but lack of manual if I were to go Sasquatch. Itā€™s a huge costs savings and that gets my attention.
Agreed mine must be a manual trans, so no base Sasquatch.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ā€˜75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Who makes this size tire?

I switched from Badlands to Base, although I'm getting Sasquatch. The Base is a SUPER deal, loaded with essential features and a capable off-road rig. I like beach driving too! Were it me, I'd buy a set of 275/75 R16 tires. The 32.2" tires will give you the extra ground clearance you'll want to easily drive through the sand. I've done a lot of beach driving in Nantucket and that extra tire height definitely helps keeps the underside of the vehicle from plowing throught sand! Get the Base, and the tires!

HighVoltage

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grandmotherā€™s 2009 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I am definitely in a similar situation as a lot of folks here. I have a non-sasquatch badlands order and I really wanted MGV and big screen and other badlands features, but now sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if I am being irresponsible and should just get a base squatch and save the 13k or so for my kidsā€™ college :LOL: I am still mulling it over and have plenty of time since I am a late res. Best of luck, let us know what you decide!

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I am definitely in a similar situation as a lot of folks here. I have a non-sasquatch badlands order and I really wanted MGV and big screen and other badlands features, but now sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if I am being irresponsible and should just get a base squatch and save the 13k or so for my kidsā€™ college :LOL: I am still mulling it over and have plenty of time since I am a late res. Best of luck, let us know what you decide!
Is it sad or encouraging that so many of us have the same thoughts? Same thoughts here on the MGV since I like to take chances on cloudy days.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since you asked, as a lifetime beach driver: NO! The Black Diamond at $37,500 is the best, for the money, beach vehicle with manual trans that you can get with the rear locker. Rear locker necessary for sand driving in that deep, loose sand in Nauset, Provincetown or Sandy Neck.

You can get the Big Bend with the rear locker at $37,915, but you have to add the auto trans. Honestly, having driven all those beaches, growing up in Orleans, i used both manual and auto International Scouts on the beaches, 1960s and 1970s, and auto trans is a better sand vehicle. In the 1990s, i drove full size, auto trans Broncos on the Provincelands beaches (my photo above is 1995 at Race Point, never got stuck for long, But i understand if you want a manual.

Base: You need taller and wider tires, and will have to upgrade the base tires at least with the tallest and widest you can fit, especially without a rear locker. You need a tire big enough that you can deflate down to 15# without hurting the sidewall, or rolling off the rim. That may also mean a wider rim! So you're correct, the Base is cheapest if you're willing to spend $3,000 on a set of wheels and tires. Big tires, rear locker not so important!

Personally, I'd insist on a rear locking differential, which comes standard with the manual BD or can be optioned with the auto trans BB. Personally, now that im living in the Carolinas, I ordered the OBX with auto, rear locker, upgraded transfer case and hitch. Non Sasquatch, because its my daily driver. I drive the OBX beaches and Delaware state beaches, and will take a trip North to Cape Cod once i get it!

Last thought: the Bronco Base with the Sasquatch is $37,500, same as the other two above. But you'll have the noisier tires, a vehicle taller to climb into, and you'll have to give up your manual for an advanced auto transmission & transfer case. BUT, you'll have the best damn beach vehicle on Cape Cod. Its still cheaper than the $50,000 manual Badlands.

I'd love to hear what you end up doing!
You know my area well, I just got the Nauset sticker for my Tacoma last week. My 2021 Tacoma is a TRD Offroad and has the rear locker. I previously had stickers for my 1996 Bronco and 2011 VW Touareg TDI, never had issues with either aired down to 12-14 psi. A base sasquatch would be an awesome beach truck, but I promised my best friend Iā€™d teach his son to drive a manual.

Wheels and tires are just over $2500 for what Iā€™d want, 17x8 wheels with 265/70R17 C rated BFGā€™s.

Ford Bronco Considering switching to base model instead of Badlands F1F67FEF-4FA8-40A1-9433-647DE7D47F42

Ford Bronco Considering switching to base model instead of Badlands 40FAFF6F-040A-4364-A92C-36A739D6A21B

Could try to keep the stock wheels and just run a 265/75R16 like half of the Tacoma forum runs for $1000.

Ford Bronco Considering switching to base model instead of Badlands 83211EE1-4ADD-4699-B620-A9B0C07D419A

Last edited:

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lots available:

Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT, Cooper Discoverer ATP 2, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W & more.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it sad or encouraging that so many of us have the same thoughts? Same thoughts here on the MGV since I like to take chances on cloudy days.
Adding the floor liners on the carpet and some neoprene seat covers wonā€™t make it hose out, but would add some mitigation for a errant sprinkle or wet butt.

Iā€™m thinking maybe go base on this one and upgrade to a higher trim in a few years if I feel like itā€™s needed. The Tacoma TRD Offroad is surprisingly basic for a $41K upper end model vehicle, no heated seats, basic radio, etc. I do like the keyless entry and push start, and the power seats are nice.

TheColemans05

Badlands
First Name
Josh & Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silverado Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sticking to the WT :p

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ā€˜75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lots available:

Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT, Cooper Discoverer ATP 2, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W & more.
Not seeing them in a R16. You sure? Would be a good option, if available and fit the base wheel.

Sponsored

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BFG makes the KO2 in that size. That is probably what I will buy.

Edit: that is 265/75R16. No one makes 275/75/16. You have to get 265 or 285.

I am also looking at BFG KM3s at 255/85/16s

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I started with a Big Bend with standard everything but the modular hard top and locking differential. Under $40K, I don't need cameras and upgraded stereo and a lift with big tires for $20K more.
I went BB also, love the wheels, grille, tint, color availability but I did add locker which was a big reason I went up from base.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I started with a Big Bend with standard everything but the modular hard top and locking differential. Under $40K, I don't need cameras and upgraded stereo and a lift with big tires for $20K more.
If I still lived in AZ Iā€™d need Sasqatch for rock crawling and Iā€™d still have my Raptor for a daily driver.

GeotechDuck

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Telluride SX AWD / 2003 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Its kind of hilarious when you think about it. It wasn't that long ago that I was ditching the vinyl floor mat in my 1970 and paying for a carpet kit. Now I am considering paying to ditch the carpet and get washout floors in the new one. Maybe I just like complaining and fixing things that are not broken?? :ROFLMAO: