Sponsored

Conventional Wisdom — Bronco Engines Are Detuned for Break-in — True or False?

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've dabbled in Ford tuning for years. Unless something has changed for the Bronco, there isn't anything in the factory calibration limiting engine power for x amount of miles of other Ford vehicles. We really don't know for sure until we can get into the PCM. As far as I know, no one has put on an a dyno yet either. The 2.7 isn't some high strung, hand built, race engine so I don't see why Ford would create a seperate break-in tune built in the ECM.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you're right and I'm not sure if I should be concerned or just annoyed that they're doing this. I wonder if the transfer case clutch is the concern or if it's the 10R60. To have a 4.71 first gear and 4.7 final drive ratio and still be slow off the line is poopy.(n)
It has only presented itself as noticeable when trying to do a drag style start. I assume the trans (I am positive it’s a trans related tuning parameter) will continue to adapt a bit and if it’s really problematic after I am familiar with the vehicle , I will look into Ford or other tuning. Motor feels great in most scenarios other than drag racing so far.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Actually, neither of those documents say that explicitly. That’s just how you interpreted the text, which is a good example of how conventional wisdom develops and propagates.

For the record, this is exactly what those two source documents that you referenced say about the subject…

Bronco Nation article:

2A69A071-69E1-4C55-9DAA-C66E2B34C558.jpeg

Owner’s Manual:

C177FA77-80EA-4E96-B2FB-B73141F2C9B2.jpeg
Yeah, so I need to drive 200 miles to bring my Bronco home from my dealer. What qualifies as "high speeds?" I-95 speed limits are 55-70 between there and home. Can I assume that sustained 70 mph is safe?

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where do people even come up with this sort of nonsense.
It’s all formally discussed at the annual Wisdom Convention, with catered lunches, keynote speakers, and audio-visual presentations. ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On the testing "conventional wisdom" front, I'd love to see some evidence that Ford runs their engines through a break-in before installing them. I feel like we're in danger of adding more myths than we're dispelling here.

And, fuel for the fire:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And, fuel for the fire:
Good thing no one has ever floored a new vehicle on a test drive,
or had a brand new rental (is there ANYONE who doesn't floor a rental car,
just because??)

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never intended to prove your interpretation wrong. I just proved that what you claimed those documents said was not true, and then I posted the specific text that you interpreted.

Now I’m going to do the same thing again for your snowmobile example. Your claim about snowmobiles is another classic example of conventional wisdom, because your own source document refutes your claim in the 2nd to last paragraph.
nah bro, im just giving you data and info from other sites.. I’m not claiming anything. And you didn’t prove shit ...

the fact is 100% you have no idea what Ford has done for break-in and until a Ford engineer releases that info no one does. I’m just playing devil’s advocate, because I thought the post was idiotic from the beginning.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, so I need to drive 200 miles to bring my Bronco home from my dealer. What qualifies as "high speeds?" I-95 speed limits are 55-70 between there and home. Can I assume that sustained 70 mph is safe?
I am avoiding highways for the first 1,000 miles... mostly so I'm not sustaining a constant speed / RPM for extended periods of time.

There are as many different opinions about what's "proper" during the break-in as there are usernames registered on the internet.

So, you're probably fine... but it's not what I'm doing.

Sponsored

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the system keep "learning" after the first 1000? What happens when you change the style of driving or move to different terrain( like going from a long highway commute at sea level to more stop and go at high elevation)?

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On the testing "conventional wisdom" front, I'd love to see some evidence that Ford runs their engines through a break-in before installing them.
I've been trying to find some info for the Lima plant specifically, but have been unsuccessful. The 3.5 EB is built at the Cleveland Plant and I know they have a ton of dyno cells.

I don't work for the big 3, but every engine we build runs through roughly a 15 minute test and the procedure looks like this:

Warmup 1
Warmup 2
Warmup 3
Rated (engine is held minimum 120 seconds at peak hp)
Torque Check (engine is held minimum 120 seconds at peak torque)
High Idle
Low Idle
Shutoff

Modern machining practices pretty much negate the need for a break-in. Our procedures are more to snuff out assembly issues or piece part issues.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

False. Any power loss felt may be attributed to the dealer using 87 octane fuel. The transmission logic takes some learning miles but if you are talking about WOT runs that goes out the window. I am willing to bet that if take a Bronco with 10 miles to the dyno and retest it on the same dyno in the same conditions the results will be with a few HP.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am avoiding highways for the first 1,000 miles... mostly so I'm not sustaining a constant speed / RPM for extended periods of time.

There are as many different opinions about what's "proper" during the break-in as there are usernames registered on the internet.

So, you're probably fine... but it's not what I'm doing.
Yeah, I think sustained speed/RPMs is the issue. Come to think of it, my dealer (my cousin) is on US 1, which parallels I-95. Think I'll plan a nice leisurely ride home on Rt. 1. Lots of little towns with stop lights and probably max 55 mph limits. Thanks for helping me think that through!
Sponsored