Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Gunning it? No. Cruising with changing speeds here and there and stops every 2 hours or so? Yes.

Don’t tow or drag race the thing and all will be well. Normal highway driving is not gonna damage anything in a new car. I could see the transmission having some learning issues as a result of the first 1000 being mostly highway but not damage or wear.
Agreed. But having a twin turbo v6 under your foot and 1000 miles to go isn't a great formula for taking it easy...
Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a subaru in 96 and shortly after purchase had to drive to Denver. 550 miles all on fast interstate. I worried about it but had no choice. Tried to vary the RPM, but I-80, Wyoming, 2 kids in back, sort of puts you in the "just get this over please" mindset.

Verdict - the engine was still strong at 185K when I gave it away.

I know, one data point...

I'll break mine in right if I can, but won't stress about it.

NateL

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F250 2014 Ford Escape 1947 Ford PU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Slightly off topic, but still engine/ break in related. Does anyone know if the 2.7 in the bronco will have the auto start/stop. I sure hope not. I can not stand that feature. If it does, can you turn it off. My F250 doesn’t have it, but I’ve driven the 150 and always forget to hit the off button. Is there a way to keep it off for good?

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed. But having a twin turbo v6 under your foot and 1000 miles to go isn't a great formula for taking it easy...
Yea that’s true lol. I’m gonna do my best not to act dumb for at least the first 500 miles. I’ll most likely give it one hard pull sometime after that point of the journey.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on the offroading I'd say. A typical easy trail would be fine since you would not be stressing the engine/drivetrain. The bigger issue for break in is not doing things like hard starts or long distances at constant RPMs. Obstacle crawling probably would not be a good idea at first.

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
But these guys are engine geniuses. I'd follow them to war.

http://hammerperf.com/ttinstallkit.shtml#BreakIn

• On your initial start-up, run the engine no longer than 10 seconds. Use a clock with a second hand or a stop watch. Don't guess! Shut it off and allow it to cool completely to room temperature. A little bit of patience now will go a long way to providing you with a strong motor that lasts a long time.
  • For your second heat cycle, run the motor no longer than 20 seconds. Again, time it properly, don't guess. Allow it to cool completely.
  • Repeat these heat and cool cycles with run times of 30 and 40 seconds.
  • You're now ready for your first ride.
All good if you are the one starting it for the first time, which you most likely won't be. Good read nonetheless. ?

RRaptor

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought my Raptor new from out of state and used the 10 speed tranny to vary the rpm’s fairly often. Drove mostly highways 60-80 mph. First 750 miles or so...

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah, from my knowledge, that's not good. You're going to be gunning it down the highway for 1,000 miles right away? Literally the last thing you want to do either.
This is my plan too but using your link here's what they say:
  • For the next 50 miles, do not exceed 3500rpm and avoid using full throttle. Vary your speeds, allowing the engine to pull and then decelerate gradually. This reversal on the rings, from pressure to vacuum, assists in the seating process.
  • For the next 500 miles, stay below 4000rpm, avoid using full throttle, and keep the heat down.
  • Once you're past the 500 mile break-in period, change your oil.
So, for the first 50 miles vary your speed, my guess is that Iowa is pretty wide open but maybe take a side trek to one of the parks before hitting the open road. And for the next 500 miles, stay under 4k Rpm's, I'd hope that cruising at 80 in either engine is below 4k.

Not to rude, but am I missing anything? I have about 1200 miles back to SC and will be (un)lucky enough to be driving thru some fairly congested roads so it's not all going to be gun it and go, at least not until I hit Atlanta!

Thanks
Sponsored