Performing engine break in period (breaking in) during long delivery roadtrip?

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been reading lots of conflicting info on breaking in a new engine. I am scheduled for a local dealer, but love the idea of a Roadtrip!

Thoughts?

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am sure I will take a lot of flack for this and I am NOT a mechanic........but I just break my cars in the same way I am gonna drive them, I don't really pamper them too much.

I'm thinking of doing the road trip... (y)

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sure I will take a lot of flack for this and I am NOT a mechanic........but I just break my cars in the same way I am gonna drive them, I don't really pamper them too much.

I'm thinking of doing the road trip... (y)
Drive it, just don't drone along on cruise control. Vary the engine load frequently (more important than varying engine speed).

The objective is to occasionally create additional combustion pressure in the combustion chamber to force the piston rings outward to "scrub in" to the cylinder walls (mate), and then to let it coast so the the vacuum in the combustion chamber will draw a bit of lubricating oil across the ring faces. Constant load at freeway speeds (which is a surprisingly light load) doesn't force the rings to mate well.

Also, no heavy throttle in lower gears for the first 2-300 miles, for the differential's sake.

Both of our new sixth and seventh generation Corvettes expressly had an initial break-in period -- not for the engine -- for the differential, to allow the pinion and crown gear mating process to occur relatively gently.

We are probably going to transfer to Stephens, and this is what we'll be doing on the 6-hr. trip back to northern VA.

PlayUltimate

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota. 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The road trip from granger back to st. Helena could be super fun if you spread it out over a few days and treat it as a vacation.
I thought about that... but with the break in period ... it would make a long trip even longer...

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

take your time, vary the rpms for the first 1000 miles, no cruise control and no launch control starts (that last one only applies to vehicles with launch control!)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought about that... but with the break in period of no faster than like 45 mph for first 2,000 miles or something?? ... would make a long trip even longer... (I think I read that somewhere here...)
Not at all correct. I've never seen that recommended by anyone. Ever.

Last edited:

PlayUltimate

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota. 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Last edited:

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ve been reading lots of conflicting info on breaking in a new engine. I am scheduled for a local dealer, but love the idea of a Roadtrip!

Thoughts?
If you decide to get your Bronco at Sewell in DFW, forget the break-in period, you're forced to go 20 mph above speed limit or get run-over.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll be driving back to CA from Iowa. Not concerned with blowing up my engine.

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. Thank you. I’ve read these and others. Just wondering. My road trip home would be over 2000 miles

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As I said.. it was a question mark... but it is 500 miles... and here is the link from the previous thread: https://www.theenginebuilders.com/break-in-procedure.

or 1,500 miles according to the Granger ford site listed above from den_jkur.
None of these say anything about 45 mph.

Apply some common sense. Is anybody ever going drive under 45mph for 2000 miles?

Nope.

PlayUltimate

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota. 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
None of these say anything about 45 mph.

Apply some common sense. Is anybody ever going drive under 45mph for 2000 miles?

Nope.
As I stated.. again... it was something like... which means there is room for error... It does say 60... and that’s still pretty slow for the highway... and it’s a long ass trip from IA. All I was saying is that it’s a long way to break in a vehicle... I want it done right so I can abuse the hell out of it later.

You do you... and don’t worry about me..