John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

(Despite we all do it and are certainly talking about it) an impact wrench should never be used with aluminum wheels. Maybe to get nuts sorta tight but finished with a torque wrench. Impacting lug nuts also destroys the finish on the nuts

And the spec torque on Broncos is if I recall is 100 ft-lb. Back as far as 1986 forward all Broncos all wheels. Shoot, I have never installed wheels on anything short of a tractor or semi at more than 80-90.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume the raptor has the 120V inverter plug on the back of the console. Definitely keep a charger in the vehicle just in case. It's not very large and should eliminate the concern of forgetting to check charge before heading out. Most batteries don't take very long to get from mostly discharged back to useable.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Im disabled and need all the help I can get. I had a flat on pickup years ago and couldn’t break the lug nuts free with the supplied lug nut wrench, because the mechanic that rotated my tires used an impact to put the tires back on.
if I’m going to be out in the middle of a desert. I want to know that i have tools that can do the job.
Just a thought from a guy with a bad back. You might also want to get one of those long pry bars that looks like giant screwdriver, I think Harbor Frieght sells them cheap, to help you lever the spare onto the studs.

Here it is, https://www.harborfreight.com/28-3-8-eighth-inch-jumbo-pry-bar-66962.html

Raptor Guy

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor | '11 FLHX | '02 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I will have to look for the 1/2" impact tool as I doubt my drill sized DW impact would handle the job
Yes, DO NOT try to use the 1/4 in. impact on a lug. The chuck will explode. I grabbed the 1/4 by mistake and found out the hard way.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I cringe at using anything impact on lug nuts.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And the spec torque on Broncos is if I recall is 100 ft-lb. Back as far as 1986 forward all Broncos all wheels. Shoot, I have never installed wheels on anything short of a tractor or semi at more than 80-90.
The OP has a Raptor. The spec on those is 150 lb ft. I can easily see where that would be a problem without any kind of disability to break loose.

My 3/4 ton pickup is 135 lb ft and I use a long breaker bar.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I bought a breaker bar - Makes a world of difference removing stuck-on lug nuts.
you can get a nice 2 piece cross version on Amazon so you don't have to lug the solid cross around. 2 hands is better than one well unless you have a 3' breaker bar.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somebody on here turned me on to "torque sticks". I keep a 100lb one in my emergency bag. It looks like a socket wrench extension and its designed to flex at a specified torque. I've been using it to put the lug nuts back on and then check it again with the torque wrench. Every single time it has nailed it exactly at 100lbs. Kinda blown away by it.

I use this torque stick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDD3YKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use this 19mm impact socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3QFAE6/

and since I'm a Makita battery system guy, I felt like this was the right impact wrench to pair this all with. Just enough power for my application: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B8FJBGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I do not use the torque stick to break the lugs loose, I do that with the vehicle's onboard wrench (its way longer!)

Last edited:

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dad lost a drill some years ago. 18 volt makita. Thought he must have left it on the back bumper and drove away. Fast forward like 5 years and he was doing another project in a customers home. Found the drill on top of the cabinets that he had installed, still had some battery left!

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tire jack has a roller and is operated by your foot. I don't have one, but looks effective.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tire jack has a roller and is operated by your foot. I don't have one, but looks effective.

that does look cool, but when you go to put the wheel back on it would be nice if it had rollers for rotating the tire

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FWIW Home Depot has the 600 ft-lb 1/2" 20v dewalt on sale for $199 which is $20 less than the 300 ft-lb compact atomic unit. Decisions decisions will have to probably buy both, lol.

And they have Ryobi 18v 1 hp knocked down to $159 if you want an alternative

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, DO NOT try to use the 3/8 impact on a lug. The chuck will explode. I grabbed the 3/8 by mistake and found out the hard way.
my Milwaukee 3/8 is rated for like 600lbs so I sure hope it can remove a 100lbs lug nut without blowing up.
Sponsored