First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just the messenger and yes, I know what most think of CR.

From Jalopnik:

Consumer Reports is a trusted resource among car buyers, having provided thorough and comprehensive car reviews for decades. In contrast to many automotive publications, Consumer Reports tends to focus on the average driver rather than the enthusiast. The outlet considers many factors that other reviewers donā€™t ascribe much value to, like predicted reliability and predicted owner satisfaction. CR scores are culminations of an array of tests, and the totals are all out of 100 possible points.

Consumer Reports tends to stick to objective rankings based on the needs and desires of the everyday commuter, so some of the vehicles on this list are enthusiast vehicles with specialized purposes that cause them to struggle in rankings. Purpose-built off-roaders like the Jeep Wrangler and Ford Bronco score low because of their lack of on-road refinement, but that might be exactly what a buyer is looking for, so take these scores with a grain of salt. This list compiles the lowest-scoring 2024 vehicles that Consumer Reports tested.

Bronco was 46/100:

The Bronco didnā€™t score very well, but it did nearly double the score of its closest competitor, the Wrangler. Compared to other midsize two-row SUVs, it lacks refinement and on-road agility, leading to its low scores. It also took a hit for long braking distances, bad fuel economy, loud interior noise levels, and a predicted reliability score of 37/100.

Wrangler was 25/100:

Consumer Reports compares vehicles within size segments, and in the midsize two-row SUV class the Wrangler canā€™t match the refinement and civilized demeanor of car-based SUVs. It got bad marks for the stiff ride, loud interior, awkward ergonomics and bad fuel economy. It also has bad predicted reliability at 27/100, and a low road test score of 34/100.

https://jalopnik.com/these-are-consumer-reports-lowest-ranked-cars-1851492282
Iā€™ve never trusted that rag since in the 90s when they would rank the Ford Ranger much lower than the Mazda be B series of pick ups which were the exact same truck other than badging and some minor sheet metal changes. Iā€™m assuming Mazda bought more advertising from CR and Ford did.
Sponsored

Reiningrl

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was raised that CR was the Bible when it came to reviews, but Iā€™ve learned itā€™s like AI, you have to take their results and parse yourself. The Bronco has a lot of flaws, but my Bronco makes me feel good so Iā€™m willing to overlook. Ford, however, needs to fix those flaws if they want this to be a model with longevity.

heavyD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X3M Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™ve never trusted that rag since in the 90s when they would rank the Ford Ranger much lower than the Mazda be B series of pick ups which were the exact same truck other than badging and some minor sheet metal changes. Iā€™m assuming Mazda bought more advertising from CR and Ford did.
That's likely due to the 10 people that bought the Mazda version getting long straws..

markpilip

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Consumer Reports (the magazine) doesn't take advertising.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was true with all the captive imports. Consumer reports polled their subscribers to establish ratings. Captive imports with an American badge always rated lower than the ones with a Japanese badge. It showed the bias of the subscribers.

Consumer Reports finally noticed the bias and started combining the data for the captive imports with the data from the Japanse badged models.

But you bring up a good point. Consumer reports is only one source. I often disagree with their power tool ratings, computer ratings and HDTV ratings. My priorities are different than their raters and subscribers. In their efforts to avoid biase they tend to avoid using people who are familiar with certain products. The difference really showed up when they rated corded electric drills. Milwaukee corded drills rated in the bottom third below many homeowner brands.

I've found I prefer Car & Driver reviews over Consumer reports.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was true with all the captive imports. Consumer reports polled their subscribers to establish ratings. Captive imports with an American badge always rated lower than the ones with a Japanese badge. It showed the bias of the subscribers.
The Ranger was not a captive import, it was built in the US for 11 years before they started hanging Mazda badges on it. Mazda probably diddled with the styling but they had little to nothing to do with the base truck.

They did the same thing with the Ford Explorer/Mazda Navajo.

jsoa

Heritage
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs