Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bromco Big Bend A51
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went RCV for a few reasons.
1. Was available at the time, Dana was not. Ended up being cheaper.
2. 300M can't find what Dana's are made from
3. Lifetime Warranty up to 40's- No warranty expressed on the Dana's that I can find.

I've been happy with them & their customer support
YMMV 🤠
Awesomeness, that is my next move this winter! RCVs. Thanks for the updates.
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's either Spicer Differential and CV axles or stock. If you think upgrading CV axles will fix anything your going down the wrong path. CV are $400-500 a set and differential are $1700 pick your weakpoint.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesomeness, that is my next move this winter! RCVs. Thanks for the updates.
I've got a set for sale ;)
I would love to keep them, but just upgraded to the Dana UFDU & can't .

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's either Spicer Differential and CV axles or stock. If you think upgrading CV axles will fix anything your going down the wrong path. CV are $400-500 a set and differential are $1700 pick your weakpoint.
Where they will help is more strength with the wheel cranked & better droop angles.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where they will help is more strength with the wheel cranked & better droop angles.
Yes they will hold together hammer down turned. We need to understand that the m210 is not built to handle that kind of punishment.

Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Snacktime
Do we have data that shows they have better droop angles before binding? Or increased longevity at higher ride height angles, like >15 degrees?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Snacktime
Do we have data that shows they have better droop angles before binding? Or increased longevity at higher ride height angles, like >15 degrees?
We need proof of better droop angles. RCVs should have a shorter life, they are not something I would run without locking hubs.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RCVs should have a shorter life, they are not something I would run without locking hubs.
How so?
Keeping them properly lubed it the key for longevity in any CV.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How so?
Keeping them properly lubed it the key for longevity in any CV.
Has to do with the metal and heat treat. Example in a 80 Series Landcruiser you will get 60-80k miles out of a RCV axle. That is a CV joint running full time with no angle. Broncos are running a constant angle so substantially more wear. Also people extend the life of the CVs by rotating them side to side.

Not knocking the product as much as explaining the differences. It's important to realize that the strength comes at a cost.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just had my RCV axles installed...no noise or issues. Going to break them in on a trail this Sunday.

20231018_144256.jpg

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The spicers are the biggest and the spicers are the best... you do need to get the thirty two Splined ones to get the benefits. And of course, this requires a new FDU.
Because the Spicer has the biggest bell. It also has the widest angle of operation. The bigger the bell, the more angle is available before the bell makes contact with the axle shafts. The Spicer unit has 35 spline, inner axle shafts inside the C. V joint as well. These are bigger and stronger than the RCVs. They are essentially the same strength as a porsche, 934/935 joint, and use 1" balls.

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another advantage to the Spicer upgrade is the stronger intermediate shaft (on the 32 spline unit) & cast iron tube.
So glad I went this route vice investing in the BB tube 🤠

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another advantage to the Spicer upgrade is the stronger intermediate shaft (on the 32 spline unit) & cast iron tube.
So glad I went this route vice investing in the BB tube 🤠
I tried to inquire once wether the Spicer FDU had an intermediate shaft upgrade and was met with blank stares and a “I’ll have to look into that”. I’d love to have that confirmed!
I second keeping the OEM M210 axles on 37’s unless doing the full FDU, 32 spline axle shaft upgrade.
46,000 on my original shafts now. Lifted on 37’s since 18,000 miles with no CV issues.

I temporarily installed the RCV’s but ran into popping and grinding issues right away. Returned em and went back to stock after one trip. No issues since.

Friend went to RCV’s and broke one. After he replaced it, he broke the next weak link which is the intermediate shaft. That sucker is a PAIN to replace. Much rather replace axle shaft then intermediate.

Sure the RCV’s are lifetime warranty but your intermediate isn’t.

@Snacktime spoke truth, it’s like the tie rod. You just move the breaking point further inboard to a harder to fix spot.

OEM shafts will work fine as long as you keep geometry correct on your build and learn how to properly wheel IFS.

If you do want a stronger upgrade then get the full Spicer setup.

my neighbor is also lifted on 37’s. We wheel together all the time and he finally wore out a OEM shaft at about 30,000 miles. He was snow wheeling and had to full send on an off camber, slushy section. It created a worn spot in the joint that made lots of noise but still worked. We had it swapped at home in 2 hours. $160 after Ford points.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried to inquire once wether the Spicer FDU had an intermediate shaft upgrade and was met with blank stares and a “I’ll have to look into that”. I’d love to have that confirmed!
I second keeping the OEM M210 axles on 37’s unless doing the full FDU, 32 spline axle shaft upgrade.
46,000 on my original shafts now. Lifted on 37’s since 18,000 miles with no CV issues.

I temporarily installed the RCV’s but ran into popping and grinding issues right away. Returned em and went back to stock after one trip. No issues since.

Friend went to RCV’s and broke one. After he replaced it, he broke the next weak link which is the intermediate shaft. That sucker is a PAIN to replace. Much rather replace axle shaft then intermediate.

Sure the RCV’s are lifetime warranty but your intermediate isn’t.

@Snacktime spoke truth, it’s like the tie rod. You just move the breaking point further inboard to a harder to fix spot.

OEM shafts will work fine as long as you keep geometry correct on your build and learn how to properly wheel IFS.

If you do want a stronger upgrade then get the full Spicer setup.

my neighbor is also lifted on 37’s. We wheel together all the time and he finally wore out a OEM shaft at about 30,000 miles. He was snow wheeling and had to full send on an off camber, slushy section. It created a worn spot in the joint that made lots of noise but still worked. We had it swapped at home in 2 hours. $160 after Ford points.
I talked about this with Zack. The 29 Spline units have the same intermediate shaft as stock, but they did not see anything break at the time. We both kind of thought that maybe because the cast iron had less flex than the aluminum tube. I was looking to go 29 spline to keep my RCV's at the time.
The 32 spline units have a larger intermediate shaft.
Sponsored